PDA

View Full Version : Scout Feedback

Gizzmo
06-02-2006, 01:21 PM
I've had my Scout for a month now. What a great little pack.
I was out for 2 dayhikes Memorial Day weekend with it on the Appalachian Trail.
Memorial Day as I came off trail to the parking lot I met the AT Ridgerunner for GA. He covers all the AT in Ga for the AT Confrence.
He was really impressed by the Scout. Asked alot of questions, etc. Finally he got his notebook and wrote down the web address. Who knows, maybe a new customer.
This pack carries my daily load with ease. It is really comfortable to hike in.
I got mine with the padded pals belt w/ power pull. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Dan M
06-03-2006, 10:13 PM
The Scout is a great lumbar pack and is very versatile. These are some of my favorite Scout pics (with cargo chair as kid carrier):
Klamath, OR July 4th Parade 2005 http://homepage.mac.com/dmarkert/Sites/Kifaru/Scout_Kid2.jpg
Lava Beds National Monument, CA http://homepage.mac.com/dmarkert/Sites/Kifaru/Scout_Kid.jpg

oktec60
06-04-2006, 11:21 AM
Dan I think you just like showing off pics of the kids. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Mike

Aimless
06-04-2006, 01:31 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by oktec60:
Dan I think you just like showing off pics of the kids. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Mike </div></div>:)

jmac
06-04-2006, 06:00 PM
Dan M, great father , son and pack pics /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif Looks like a CB Scout, would you have any outdoor pics of the the Scout (trying to get as true a color rep as I can of the CB} seems to be many variations depending on the lighting.

Dan M
06-04-2006, 07:42 PM
Yes, I do like the pics of my kids!

I have some other posts of CB packs elsewhere on the board here.
CB EMR in the Pool (http://forums.kifaru.net/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=000974)
CB Scout and Body Armor (http://forums.kifaru.net/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=001155)

jmac
06-04-2006, 08:14 PM
Doh. Yes of course, I've seen these from previous searches. Does your son find it a comfy ride, may get the cargo chair with future scout order. I may wait till I decide on the future large pack (sometime after scout). My boy weighs in at 17 kg's, may be to heavy with gear in the scout as well. How do you find it? BTW thanks for the input, most definitely helpful.

Gizzmo
06-05-2006, 04:24 AM
DanM - nice pics.
I'm glad you mentioned a cargo chair. If not I was going to ask if you did a dock&amp;lock on the diapers.

Aimless
06-05-2006, 06:03 AM
While we're talking about scouts, what is the purpose of the two loops on the top of the pack towards the part that goes against your back?

Gizzmo
06-06-2006, 04:17 AM
Aimless
I'll take a look at mine when I get home tonight.
Can't tell you from memory. I haven't had one that long.

Doug
06-06-2006, 08:38 AM
Hi Aimless

Iíve got my scout next to me, last years vintage, the only loops mine has in that position are for the shoulder straps (hardware factory attached), the same loops can do double duty and accept QR buckles for pocket/POD attachment.

Maybe newer models have an extra set of loops? Which pics do you see them in?

If youíre looking at loops a bit on the side with the triangular hardware, thatís for cargo chair straps/ lash straps.

DanM great pics btw!

Doug

Dan M
06-06-2006, 03:28 PM
With zero shoulder lift, I really start feeling the weight at 50lbs. That is a lot to be digging in on the short stays and unpadded belt. The kids rides fine. They enjoyed being carted around. It was very stable, The "extra" loops are to allow optional positioning of the side release buckels. You can have them below the zipper, or for extra security, over the zipper. I think that is what you are askung about.

jmac
06-06-2006, 04:08 PM
Dan M - Yeah, from what I've read and experienced with lumbar packs anything above 35 lbs (depending on individual) is pushing it. I like the idea of the scout as a butt pack come family outing pack. The use of the cargo chair would be handy at the end of the day after my son has been running around 100 mph and decides he's had enough (not often /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif )