PDA

View Full Version : Navigator question for ya (Pics Added!!)

BuckarooMedic
05-31-2006, 04:59 PM
I am wondering if I could attach an Extreme Top Lid to my Navigator using the over the top compression straps that are on it. I have been looking for a "Go Bag" for a while now and the XTL seems to be one of the best ideas out there. The E&E is a very close second. The "Go Bag" idea is really spreading in the Army, especially for those of us who travel in vehicles most of the time.

Thanx,

Mel
05-31-2006, 07:32 PM
Buckaroo, I just hooked up my XTL to a Navigator, and it works with no extra hardware needed. Here's the drill: Take the male SR's off your over the top compression straps on the Navigator. Now run these straps thru the tension lock buckles on the XTL, and cinch it tight. Next, unclick the SR buckles on the bottom compression straps of the Navigator, and click the male SR's into the female SR's on the XTL, and you're done. It's extremely simple, and effective. To get into the Navigator, just click out the lower SR's, and flip the XTL out of the way. Before anyone asks, it really wouldn't work too well on the Pointman or Marauder, without some type of modifications and/or spare parts. The dimensions and layouts on the tops of these packs are different than on the Navigator. I'll try and take some pics of the XTL on a Navigator.

Mel

fireballxl5
06-01-2006, 12:20 AM
That almost sounds like a sale coming up.

Looking forward to the images.

If I had of known before I reckon we could have saved Janice a lot of grief with the PALs I had sewn onto to top of my Navigator.

BuckarooMedic
06-01-2006, 08:45 AM
Mel -

Thanx, you rock! Would really like to see those pictures.

Mel
06-01-2006, 09:45 AM
Hey guys, pics have been taken of the XTL on a Navigator. I sent them to Maggie to be put on a link page. Hope to have them up soon. Stay tuned.

Mel

Mel
06-01-2006, 11:08 AM
I think I created an album on Photobucket /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif . Let's see if it works.

http://s73.photobucket.com/albums/i240/melt_photos/

Mel

Mel
06-01-2006, 01:37 PM
I forgot to mention that if you click on the pics, you can bring them up full size.

Mel

MATCHGRADE
06-01-2006, 04:41 PM
It looks like with a way to open what is the top panel of the Navigator, you could create a top lid/panel loader hybrid, kind of like what was being discussed on the hunting boards.

fireballxl5
06-01-2006, 08:06 PM
Thanks for the pics Mel.

Any idea how a Lock and Dock #5 or a pair of #6s would go on that set up?

Do you think that would cause it to sit more "on top of" the pack, since the "slack" on the top compression straps (those connected to the ladder locks on the XTL) of the Navigator would be taken up?

Or am I dreaming?

Matchgrade:
I'm with you, I reckon a hybrid top/panel loader would be just the perfect pack.
Especially carried on an EMR frame/harness.

Mel
06-01-2006, 08:51 PM
Fireball, there is plenty of adjustment on the top compression straps that connect to the ladder locks on the XTL. Should be no worries there as far as where you want to position it on top of the Navigator. The Lock n Loads would work well under the XTL.

Mel

BuckarooMedic
06-02-2006, 11:19 AM
Mel -

Thanx for the pictures. The XTL on the Navigator looks good. One question for ya. Does the XTL "pull" on you or the pack since it is riding off of the top of the ruck? Would it be an issue when the pack and XTL are fully loaded?

Mel
06-02-2006, 11:32 AM
I didn't have a lot of weight in the ruck or the XTL in the pics, but I don't think you will have any "pull" or balance issues with that setup.

Mel

wookieJS
06-04-2006, 01:17 AM
Mel,
if i wanted to purchase a navigator and order a XLT w/ it would i be charged full price for one, or would it be charged like i was buying an MMR or EMR w/ an XLT?? Also would a navigator be able to handle a weeks worth of backpacking, of course i'd be adding some pouches to augment it??? Not too sure as i'm used to humping a ruck, and haven't used an internal frame in a few years. Thanks for the info

John

fireballxl5
06-04-2006, 08:29 AM
Wookie:

I reckon a Navigator could handle a weeks worth of backpacking in terms of weight (eg ~30kg).

In terms of capacity you may find it a bit lacking depending on what you take, what pockets you choose, season, your style etc.

I did a recent 5 day trip with Navigator, 2 Long pockets, E&E and a SORD Hostage rescue Pouch (pretty much Claymore pocket sized). One of the Long Pockets was about half empty and I carried 6 litres of water.
We took pods as well, but we bought back 3-4 days of food, took books and other luxury items with us, so we could have easily done without the pods.
Min temperature was not recorded, but I'd estimate around 3 deg C on the coldest night.

You milage may vary.

From my book understanding of US conditions I suspect the biggest factor that might be an issue for your question would be additional shelter/insulation/equipment in cold conditions.

Mel
06-04-2006, 08:50 AM
Wookie, I think fireball has it about right, where the Navigator should be able to handle a weeks worth of backpacking with some add on pockets, especially if you pack like a typical backpacker would. Like stated above, weather conditions could be a factor, as cold weather gear takes up a lot of space. The pods work great for light/bulky cold weather gear.

Mel

Mel
06-04-2006, 10:27 PM
Hey Wookie, I forgot to answer your first question. If you bought a Navigator, and ordered an XTL, it would be full price. The reason being that the Zulu, EMR, and MMR come standard with a top lid, and if you order an XTL instead with these packs, you are charged the difference between the two top lids. The Navigator does not come with a top lid, so hence the full price on the XTL.

Mel

wookieJS
06-08-2006, 06:57 AM
Hey Fireball just outta curiosity can u give me a brief run down of what u were carrying so i can get an idea of how much the Navigator can hold. I'm kinda stuck on what kinda pack i wanna get, i only plan on using it for Civilian backpacking, but i'd also like to have the option to use it military wise if the opportunity arose. Any info would be great. Thanks

fireballxl5
06-11-2006, 06:10 AM
Sure thing Wookie.

My basic list is as follows:

1 x Aust Army hootchie (basically a tarp tent)
6 x Tent Pegs/Stakes
1 x Qty Cordage
4 x Ocky (bungee) straps
1 x Wiggys Kif Special sleeping bagOR 1 x Snugpak Softie 12
1 x Thermarest women's prolite 4 (before you ask, thicker padding and better size compromise)
1 x Mosquito Bar (unless carrying Hennesy Hammock)
1 x BFO knife
1 x Katadyn Combi Filter
1 x Milbank Bag (Cloth water filter bag) - not really required - acts as organiser for Combi and gross particle pre filter
1 x MSR Dragonfly Stove
1 x 325ml fuel bottle.
1 x Foil Windshield
1 x set pots (2) and lid/pan from large Trangia Cookset w pot holder (ie no burner or windshield)
1 x Cup
1 X KFS
1 x Heavy ( 300 weight ) fleece Jacket
2 x polypro long sleeve T shirts
2 x polypro long johns
2 x spare pr socks
2 x spare pr boxers
1 x fleece gloves
1 x fleece neck muff/headover
1 x pr lightweight travel trousers/shorts
1 x pr booties (cordura and fleece for night wear)
1 x Light Rain Jacket
1 x First aid kit in oldish RAAF Survival Ration Tin
1 x Space Blanket (oldish US GI)
1 x VS17 Panel
1-2 x 3L Camel Bak Water Bladders
1-3 x 1L Nalgene Bottle
1 x Repair Kit - Kif repair kit, with additional items such as needles, threads (1 set for clothes, 1 set of pack/pockets), qty electrical tape, spare batteries (3 x AAA, 4 X AA), couple of Malice clips, stove spares, scourer pad to clean Combi element etc
1 x Silva AA Solar Battery Charger (For longer trips only)
1 x Travel Towel
1 x Soap box w/ soap
1 x razor
1 x qty toothpaste (sml tube)
1 x tooth brush
1 x qty foot powder
1 x pack baby wipes
1 x bottle of alcohol hand cleaning gel
Qty Food

This is stuff I carry but could do without:
1x Hammock - either Hennessy Hammock OR Brit Mil Issue Lightweight Tropical ("SAS" Hammock).
The hammock is really a luxury - only really need mosqito bar, and only in some conditions.
1 x Kifaru Field Chair OR sml folding stool

Carried in
1 x Navigator
2 x Long Pockets (Hybrid Top Loaders) 1 each side
1 X E&E on back panel
1 X SORD Hostage Rescure Pouch(about Claymore pouch size) on top - I have a non standard Navigator with PALs on the top panel. A XTL might provide similar capacity without extra PALs.

The Navigator is tightly packed there is a bit of room (one half to one third free) in one of the long pockets.

I roll up most fabric items fairly tighly (eg clothes, shelter space blanket) and secure them with velcro strips.

My exact kit changes a bit from trip to trip the above is pretty typical or my base items.
The sort of things I will change are things like:
last trip I took less Nalgene's and more water bladders.
This trip I had more nalgenes and put a couple of litre pouch sized pouches on the Navigator belt for convenient access. I also stuffed in a 100 weight fleece jacket this trip as well.

I also carry a small(ish) chest harness with "survival"/signalling gear and navigation gear.

The food we use is mainly dried main meals cooked and dried at home, rice, dried potato, ramen, pasta, jerky, biscuits, mueslei bars, cheese/cheese spread, crackers porridge (oatmeal), milk powder, sugar, tea, coffee.
This is pretty compact but requires water.

I can get 3-5 days of this kind food in my pack depending on exactly what I take.

I'm Australian and so have never seen an MRE in the flesh, so can't estimate how many you might be able to carry.

I'm not qualified to comment on sutiability for use in a US military environment, but would note that with the load above there is not much room for spare ammo, radios/batteries, sensors or other mission gear.

wookieJS
06-11-2006, 06:31 AM
Wow thanks for that rundown, even though u lost me on a few of the items i get the big pictue though, thanks alot for giving me the run down. Oh and about MRE's they're huge wastes of space, We usually end up rat F***in' them to get rid of the excess BS that no one wants. Thanks for the info.
John

Thommo
06-11-2006, 05:00 PM
Sounds like military ration packs all over the world get the same treatment (is that why we call them "rat" packs because we always tend to rat them before we deploy). Fireball think I can dig up some MRE's for a show'n'tell "CRAP" night.