PDA

View Full Version : Boots

Hanzo
05-23-2006, 02:42 PM
I'm looking into getting a new pair of boots and I'm thinking I'm going to go with Danners.

They list a "hot" and "temperate" boot. The hot being made of dri-lex and the temperate being made of goretex.

My feet don't get very hot and I wear my Belleville gortex boots in the summer with no problems, but I'd like to save a little bit of weight. Surprisingly, the gortex boots weigh less, but I was wondering if anyone has tried these two and can give me some advice.

AbnMedOps
05-23-2006, 05:19 PM
Hanzo, I had a pair of Danner Acadia model Gore-Tex, black, 1990 vintage. I had many years of great field service out of them, mostly in the cooler / cold seasons. Ultimately the Gore-Tex WILL fail, usually around the toe-crease or other flex points, allowing some leakage, but still pretty good water protection.

I probably theoretically abused my Danner's by polishing with Kiwi, instead of applying Danner Boot Dressing, and also by drying near heaters, etc. I recently pulled this pair out of storage and found it hard to fit my feet in..I think the leather has shrunk.

I have no experience with new rough-out sand colored Danners, but would not hesitate to buy the black Acadias again in a heartbeat!

I plan to buy the hot weather desert version.

Need to try on for fit. I am told that Danner uses a "European last", which may not translate exactly to many American feet.

P.S. I also have used the Danner "Ft. Lewis" since mid 80's. Great boot!

fireballxl5
05-23-2006, 07:45 PM
If you are not necessarily interested in a boot of military design/appaearance, I have a pair of Scarpa boots from their Trekking range, which I find very comfortable.

http://www.scarpa.com

The model I have are the Sarpa Trek Pro XX (Model 60061) according to the label on the box.
I can't find these on any Scarpa website, but they are recent models as I bought them earlier this year.
They look fairly similar to the Trek II on the US site or Concordias on the Scarpa Italy site.

They only come up just above the ankles, which worried me a bit, but it turns out (no pun intended)that ankle support is fine.

So much so that I have pretty much taken to wearing them as day to day boots, even when in a suit (thank goodness that is a rare occurance!)

Having bought them, I sort of regret not buying the SLs (about $100 AUD more).

The SLs that you buy here (like the ones on the Italian/international site - but not like the SLM3s on the US site) have a one piece upper, including the bottom of most of the tongue so are very water resistant - there is no stiching near the eyelets to hold the tongue in for the bottm 4-5 eyelets/hooks.

I know two very good friends who own them and they are both very happy. One has had is in excess of 10 years (my guess is closer to 15 years) and he has used them from the top of the world in the Himlayas to the Top End.

The SLM3 on the US site does not look as good, becuase of all the padding and cut outs, and therefore stiching in the ankle area.

It looks like all the models or model names on the North America site are different to the Italy/rest of the world site but I assume if you ask, they can point you to equivilant modelsor models with the same feature set.

There is a fairly well known saying here in walking circles that your Scarpas will probalby outlast your marriage.

And I suspect Scarpas are more loved than some partners too.
/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Merc82
05-23-2006, 08:27 PM
"U.S. From Lowa's Task Force line (Military and Law Enforcement) is the Seeker Desert PT boot.
my size 9 boots weigh 1lb 6oz each (2 lb 12oz a pair). In comparison, my Wellcos (shown below) weigh a full 10oz more per pair, and I thought they were light. The Danner Desert Acadias, are the heaviest of the bunch, weighing a full 28oz (per pair) more than the Desert PTs. That's almost 2 lbs of additional weight where it makes the most difference! " - MM @ <a href="http://www.militarymorons.com" target="_blank">http://www.militarymorons.com (http://www.militarymorons.com)</a>

I'm looking to get a pair of those for my next desert boot, but I also plan on getting a pair of Merrell Sawtooths for overseas work as well (our Air Force TAC-Ps wore the Sawtooths, and they loved them).

militarymoron
05-24-2006, 06:33 AM
my desert danner acadias have sat on the shelf ever since i got the lowa seeker deserts.
i don't wear the merrell sawtooths as much anymore either as the lowas are more comfortable (for me) than either of those boots. my only gripe about the sawtooths is that sometimes the tongue can be a bit uncomfortable if not adjusted/folded right, where the bellows folds around the ankle.

Hanzo
05-24-2006, 08:22 AM
MM,

I originally wanted to keep more of the USMC look, but those Lowas are looking mighty nice. Light weight, comfortable, good ankle support...good times.

Any idea where in the Southern CA area I can take a look at some up close? REI carries Lowa, but they don't seem to carry the tactical line.

militarymoron
05-24-2006, 11:03 AM
i've never seen them in a store, hanzo.

Hanzo
05-24-2006, 12:56 PM
Yeah, I didn't think my luck would be that good. I guess I ought to just make up my mind and then get sized locally with a different line of Lowa boots and then order them.

Edlund
05-24-2006, 01:13 PM
Might i suggest that you have a look at the Meindl range of boots aswell, in particular the "performance" model.
They are very popular over here in Sweden for it's anklesupport and the "rolling sole".

They've shaped the sole and toe area so that you get sort of a rolling motion thus saving your feet from "slamming into the ground" when you set your foot down. Only problem is that they can be a bit warm in the summer if you use two socks.

Also a ten year warranty never hurts

Never tried Danner's since there are no retailers that carry them over here so i cant compare them to Meindl's.

Hanzo
05-25-2006, 08:07 AM
Edlund,

I appreciate the suggestion, but I'm trying to stick to something close to the USMC boots. I've got my pair of issue Bellevilles that I love but they're starting to come apart and I've noticed that the sole is actually narrower than the boot itself so that it makes it more common to roll an ankle (which is a big problem for me) since you're essentially walking on an edge the whole time.

Danners have a great reputation so I was thinking of going with them and I noticed that they have a wider sole on them. Then MilitaryMoron points out the Lowas (you are responsible for my empty bank account, you know that?) which look great and still are relatively Marine looking.

I'm torn.

Dan M
05-25-2006, 08:30 AM
Hnazo, I'll tear you some more. I have and really like the Bates M9 Desert Assault Boot. I don't have any Danners, and the Lowa looks great. But the Bates M9 are the most comfortable boots I have worn so far in my military career. There is a huge thread at Lightfighter on the Bates M9 in the Stud Board.

Hanzo
05-25-2006, 08:42 AM
Yeah...I keep hearing that, but I'm a little gun shy. I had a old pair of Bates all leather boots that were the most God aweful uncomfortable things I've ever put on my feet. That being said...when I was being issued my gear, they were still trying to figure out what boots to issue. Half my platoon got Bates, the other half got Bellevilles. I'm not sure which ones I got, but I HATE my desert boots. They're big, clunky and have about a 1 inch sole on them and give zero ankle support. The guys who got the other boots LOVED them. They were very light weight and looked comfortable. I considered buying a pair but I figured I'd wait till my other ones wore out and by the time that happened, I was being discharged.

Maybe I'll post a pic later and see if anyone can tell me what mine are since the label has since rubbed off. Those things were so bad that I wore my cold weather boots as often as possible and claimed I mixed them up when I got caught. Of course, that's probably why my Bellevilles are worn out now.

medicjim
05-25-2006, 09:56 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Edlund:
Might i suggest that you have a look at the Meindl range of boots aswell, in particular the "performance" model.
</div></div>Excellent boots, I have two pair, one I bought in Germany and another from here in the States. I also really like the Italian made Vasque Sundowner (warning - most Vasque boots are Chinese made), absolutely superb quality. None look even remotely "USMC" like.

GJNozum
05-31-2006, 12:13 AM
I'll chime in on this one, since boots are near and dear to my "sole" /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif I've used Danners for years and have been very happy with them. I have narrow feet that sweat a lot, regardless of climate. The Danners, when sized properly, fit very well; almost no break-in period, no rubbing, no hot spots. However, there are two issues that I would take note of here in OEF. I've got the Army hot boot which comes with a Gore-tex liner. They are very hot on the feet, especially over on the eastern border where elevations are lower, with high temps and humidity. Were it not for the excellent fit, I might opt for a boot without the liner. Second, the Danners are heavy. Humping the hills, you most definitely feel the extra weight. Again, were it not for the excellent fit, I would go with a lighter boot. Regarding ankle support, I don't know that any desert boot is going to be really good in this category. On our last outing, we had to cross a dry riverbed. I rolled an ankle no less than three times on the smooth rocks. No damage, so I guess the boot provided some support, but it did let the ankle roll. I've also got a pair of the GTX's, which feel much lighter than the Acadia's. However, the fit of the GTX -- for my narrow foot -- is not as good, requiring use of a thicker sock. Oh yeah, using a thin Ultimax sock with the better fitting Acadia's helps a lot with the heat.

Tinkerbell
05-31-2006, 11:15 AM
Hanzo, can not recommend the oakley assault boots enough!!! They are absolutely fantastic!!! At 90 bucks they're a little pricey but wow!!!

Hanzo
05-31-2006, 12:36 PM
GJNozum,

Good review, thank you. My problem is that I've got bad ankles so ankle support is a huge issue. I'm still looking at the Danners, but right now, Lowa is kinda edging out for me. You mentioned you were near the eastern border, what kinds of temperatures have you been dealing with in the Danners and how comfortable were they in those temps?

Tinkerbell,

I gotta say, I've been kinda leary of the Oakleys because they look like tan basketball shoes. Do these things really hold up in strenuous conditions?

GJNozum
05-31-2006, 05:44 PM
Low triple digits on the border, about 104 F right now, which is on the low side for the summer. With the high humidity, boots and bdu's are just plain uncomfortable. With my sweaty feet, I throw a pair of flip-flops on at the first opportunity. An unlined boot, like the old issue Altamas, is better in the heat, but offers no support at all and disintegrates inside of three months. In contrast, in Kabul, where the temps are now in the mid-90's, I'm comfortable, but there is no humidity to speak of either. To give you another perspective, guys who spend a lot of time out east complain about the cold when they come back to the capital. An aside on the Oakleys, most of the guys got them for the last deployment because they were pleased with the overall feel. Once here, they complained that their feet got too hot. I didn't opt to go with the Oakleys, as I couldn't get a good fit with my narrow feet.

Merc82
05-31-2006, 07:26 PM
Hanzo, depending on your MOS I would not recommend the oakley boot, that crap will fall apart after about 3 months of humping it around on foot. The boots that the "other guys" got were probably the bellevilles, I have 3 pair that were issued to me during OEF and OIF, and I absolutely love them. The pair I got from OEF is STILL in great condition, and I walked all over that damned country. Hell, I still go run in them everyonce in awhile. Bellevilles are a great boot with a great fit that won't over heat your foot, and I have sweaty dogs. However, my next boot will be the LOWA for military purposes, and the Sawtooth for hiking around the hills here in Texas.

Hanzo
01-19-2007, 08:59 AM
Hey guys, I'm reviving an old thread here because I realize that I wandered a bit off of my original question, so let me try this again.

Here's what I'm looking for, a boot, with the USMC look (doesn't need to be approved) with as much ankle support as possible. They do not need to be hot weather. My secondary (or tertiary depending on how you look at it) concern is weight.

In this old discussion, I was focused on the desert boots, but they probably don't have very good ankle support, which is key.

Danners are probably going to be the best (the weight is going to suck though) but I wanted your input. My guess is that for something like this we'd be looking at Bates, Belleville, Danner, Corcoran and maybe Matterhorn, but you guys have a LOT of experience that I don't, so I figured I'd ask.

anthracitic
01-19-2007, 09:04 AM
Hanzo, have you looked at the Meindl desert boots?
My daughter has a pair. Looks like a very well-made boot with good support.
I have a pair of dark green Hanwags that are the best boots I've ever worn. The make an SF boot as well (black). I'm thinking Bro. Mel has a pair.

docw
01-19-2007, 09:37 AM
hanzo, my all-time favorite boots are 5.11 hrt's. i have them in black but they make desert too. they are the most comfortable boots i've ever worn adn they are just 3oz heavier than my new balance running shoes. i have a friend who runs marathons and he trains in his hrt's when the weather is bad. i've used them for EMS all year and even during the summer and my feet only came out damp on 2 occasions. they use sympatex which is like gortex but is also blood borne pathogen resistant. i highly recommend them and this wont be my last pair of them. much lighter than danners.

tim

Hanzo
01-19-2007, 09:45 AM
Anthracitic and DocW, how are the ankle support on these? The fact that they're are desert boots makes me a little bit cautious since they usually aren't as supportive.

anthracitic
01-19-2007, 10:33 AM
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l165/rcutter/boot70.jpg
Looks pretty good.

docw
01-19-2007, 11:49 AM
ankles on the hrt's are thick heavily padded and built on a kevlar base i believe. good flexibiliy to and fro but very hard to go too much side to side. side to side the whole boot tends to go as one. rubber reinforced toes so no blow outs. 139 with free shipping at lapolicegear.com