PDA

View Full Version : NE Winter Rendezvous 2009

Patrick
08-30-2008, 08:06 AM
Greetings all y'all Yankee friends. Here's a thought I'll pass on to PA Scott, for consideration re his banjo virtuosity at our next Rendezvous.

My Clan descended on Denver last night, attending an event called the Taste of Colorado. Why would we go down to Denver? The legendary band Little Feat were the featured attraction! We're all classic rockers, and so downtown we went. Had a blast, rocking out on the grass with a great big horde of admirers, old and young. Of course they got around to the Hippie Anthem "Willin'". Brought down the house, as always. Featured instrument? A BANJO!

Scott, I imagine some refrains are already running through your head. "...Tahachapie to Tonapah, I've driven every kind of rig that's ever been made..."; or how about THE refrain: "And if you give me...", well you know the rest. (GJZ, as our resident Big Rig pilot I imagine you're all over this.)

Anyway, think on that, Scott. I reckon we can light up the 'Dacks belting that number out...right up there with "I Know You Rider". Good time comin' up, gents!

Sawtooth
08-30-2008, 01:38 PM
Patrick,

Where was the concert held?

Patrick
08-30-2008, 02:39 PM
Saw, in the park smack in the middle of downtown...don't know what it's official name is. Dixie Chicken closed the show (PA Scott, you listening?) on a very exuberant note; everybody dancing and cheering madly on the grass. In fact, the entire crowd was on their feet boogieing the whole show. I wish they had performed Rock & Roll Doctor, but I suppose they couldn't get to all the great numbers in a repertoir as vast as the Feat has. I haven't been in a crowd like that in many a moon, but had a blast nonetheless. Some of the original band members--looking pretty good really--and some young pups of course, but all of 'em were truly into the music--doing it solid justice. I had a view of the backstage crew and they were flat-out rocking with the music out front. Can't blame 'em, Feat was, is, at the very top of the rock & roll craft, classically so. Syncopated rhythm like no other band, ever. Yeah, I like 'em. A lot. Glad we went; the kids were instrumental in getting me down there. Good kids.

PA Scott
09-01-2008, 04:29 AM
Patrick,

Nothing beats live music, and Little Feat are one of the best. Remember the "Waiting for Columbus" double live album from the 70's? Great tunes. One of my favorites is "Fat Man in the Bathtub" (Please, no one take that last sentence out of context -- too weird).

I'll have "I'm Willin'" down by the time of the Rondy. Matter of fact, I'm sitting here grinning ear-to-ear thinking about GJZ belting out a heartfelt chorus at about 3 AM. To help get the ball rolling on this job, here's the lyrics (and chords, for those so inclined).

http://www.chordie.com/chord.pere/www.russell-lawson.com/music/chordpro/LowellGeorge_Willin.cpm

I'm also thinking that we've got to get copper to break out his harmonica. Anyone up for a little peer pressure on our boy to make sure it happens?

On another note, my 8 man has been to a number of music festivals this summer. Had lots of folks asking about it -- maybe I better get some literature from you to hand out next time.

PA Scott

Sawtooth
09-01-2008, 07:14 AM
I can see now that our own Colorado Rondy needs some music (read, musicians). PA, just the other day I was sitting here with my iTunes playing, listening to Fat Man... /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif And some of The Band. Good stuff you guys!

Patrick
09-01-2008, 07:16 AM
Think we might have a decent time with this? You up for Fat Man and Rock & Roll Doctor too? Dixie Chicken? Don't wanna put too much stress on ya, Counselor. Yeah, I remember; those were great tunes indeed. Still are; the numbers of teens and twenty-somethings at the concert last Friday night attest to the staying power of really good music. Those tunes will be around probably forever. Different genre to be sure, but they'll last alongside Bach, Mozart and Beethoven. For the record, I love them all--which is the point of course.

Dave R.
09-01-2008, 07:28 AM
"Daaa Ohhh Daaaaaah Ohhhh..Daylight come, 'an me want to go home...."

Northville Jeremy will jump on this guys!

Huntsman22
09-01-2008, 08:56 AM
Yeah, but..... How was the food at that deal?

Dave R.
09-01-2008, 12:06 PM
Huntsman....every year it is superb...deer,moose, bear, seafood, wild mushrooms... on and on it goes....lots of libations too!

Huntsman22
09-01-2008, 01:52 PM
Sorry, Dave. I knew the food at the rondy was good. Instead of hitting quickreply, I should have asked Patrick how the eats were at 'taste of CO'.......

Patrick
09-01-2008, 03:10 PM
Huntsman22, I had the BBQ at Dave's Famous BBQ booth. Mighty good. Every kind of ethnic grub imaginable was on hand. I just had a hankering for good ol' pork barbeque. Oh yeah, the chow at the NE AND NW Rendezvous is incredible...just like our CO Rondy!

William Clunie
09-01-2008, 04:00 PM
As long as we don't schedule the East Coast Rendezvous for the school vacation in February, I'm in this year! I'll be packing some extra moose meat for sure (I got my permit this year!!!)

I do play the guitar, but I only know enough to frustrate folks that REALLY know music.

Ralph
09-01-2008, 04:40 PM
Maybe you could get Sarah Palin's recipe for moose stew, William.

William Clunie
09-01-2008, 05:25 PM
Hey Ralph,
I'd want to be completely non-partisan about this . . . so I'd also prepare some of Obama's "Change-we-can-believe-in" soup. It smells real good, and has a huge list of ingredients, and everyone in Hollywood is raving about good it sounds, BUT . . . it just doesn't have any meat in it and it hasn't ever been tried before.
/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

snakey2
09-02-2008, 12:47 PM
William is that Obama soup the one with a list of ingredients that you change whenever it suits you and then end up with nothing?!

William Clunie
09-02-2008, 04:33 PM
snakey,
Yes it is, and as a matter of fact, if you don't have someone shove it down your throat too fast, it will flip-flop right there in the bowl.

/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

snakey2
09-03-2008, 08:24 AM
Typical!!

bigbore442001
10-10-2008, 02:42 AM
I've always wanted to attend this event but it seems some sort of crap in my life rears it's ugly head each winter.

Sawtooth
11-15-2008, 07:08 PM
William Clunie and I have been knocking this around on PMs. To which airport do you long-distance travelers fly? Patrick...maybe you and I could take the same flight? Only one weekend open to me in Feb...maybe it'll work out.

Patrick
11-16-2008, 07:02 AM
Saw, I fly into Albany. Would be a grand thing if you go with me. You're a natural at having a blast with those Yankees out there. Good men.

William Clunie
11-16-2008, 10:21 AM
I'm pretty much in as long as it doesn't take place from Feb. 14 through Feb. 21. Or Jan. 13 through Jan. 20.

Most any other time works out for me. How about others?

Ralph
11-16-2008, 10:42 AM
Any date is good for me, I just hope I can make it this year. It would be really nice to see Sawtooth there (along with everyone else, of course) so I hope we can arrange a date to suit.

Tierce
11-16-2008, 04:02 PM
I'm tentatively available for the last week of Jan and the first week of Feb (i.e. the weekends of the 30th-1st and 6th-8th, respectively), while on leave between Ft Knox and Ft Irwin. Like last year, I'd probably be taking the train up, since I also plan to visit friends in NYC. It would be great to see everyone again, and hopefully I'll be able to break-in the new pack I'm just about to order /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

ozarkrambler
11-16-2008, 04:34 PM
Sawtooth, I flew in and out of Albany last year same as Patrick. Not sure if things are a go for me this year or not, but if you can make it you will have a grand time. I never laughed so much in my life. Ken is about as great of a guy as you could want to meet, and his buddies will keep your stomach cramping the entire time.

If you get to go, work on Ken about moving out to Colorado, deep down I know he wants to. If I can get things worked out here, and get moved out there like I want to in the next few years, we could have quite a group of ramblers.

Ozark

Ken
11-17-2008, 10:06 AM
Albany IS the place to fly to if you can. It's about an hour from the ECR site.

I'm good for any weekend Jan-Mar./images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif Just let me know when to have the trail broke out.

William Clunie
11-19-2008, 04:59 PM
Anyone else ready to commit to a time frame for the next ECR? Anyone, anyone . . . is anyone out there?

Woods Walker
11-19-2008, 05:57 PM
I don't see any reason to go. Beyond great food, booze, guns and wood burning stoves I just donít see any upside. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

dangarcia
11-19-2008, 10:32 PM
I PCS to Fort Bragg in another month. I'd love to meet some fellow Kifaru folks. Set the time and date and I can probably make it.

William Clunie
11-20-2008, 04:24 AM
I'm going to agree with Tierce. The last week of Jan. or the first week of Feb. sounds good to me. Does this date float with others?

PA Scott
11-20-2008, 07:29 AM
Works for me.

PA Scott

Sawtooth
11-20-2008, 10:43 AM
I'm out. My days off that I could come are 14-17 February.

Ken
11-20-2008, 10:51 AM
We can't do the weekend of the Shot Show as Patrick usually attends.

Patrick
11-20-2008, 11:12 AM
Ken, we're not going to SHOT this year--we only attend when it's in Las Vegas. Orlando just doesn't have the Hospitality Suite set-ups we require; 'Vegas does. So. I'm open as to dates. To include Saw's dates (y'all will really enjoy your first face-to-face with him if it works out).

evanhill
11-20-2008, 11:55 AM
Patrick, are you still thinking of attending the NW winter rendezvous? If so, I'll wait to declare dates for that until after these are sorted out.

I'm *assuming* there is going to be snow this year. We've only been skiing once this year before it all melted off again. Supposed to be more tonight though.

Ken
11-20-2008, 12:10 PM
Well...we should definitely get a date nailed down before too long then...

I'll shoot out some PM's tonight to other previous attendies to see if we can get things sorted out.

WW/Chainbearer?
Ksnake and J9?
Dave R?
Plodder?
Two Elk?
Seadug?
Andy in NH?
Ozark?
Earl and OP?

Patrick
11-20-2008, 12:27 PM
evanhill, sure, I'd like to join you guys, if it's not too compromising to your gig to work around the NE one. I'm only one of many of you. Would be grand to see what sort of wood rick you might craft for my 16 man!

evanhill
11-20-2008, 12:40 PM
Scheduling shouldn't be a problem, as long as we lock it down far enough in advance. Allen is the wood rick guy -- I'm just one of the snow-platform stomping guys!

Now, if only I knew somebody who could ensure that my nice new MMR arrives in time for this trip /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Woods Walker
11-20-2008, 01:27 PM
I am in but be careful of Valentines day. Lots of wives will say no to this. Chainbearer wants to go.

seadug
11-20-2008, 01:54 PM
End of January first 2 weeks of February looks good for me but don't plan around me.
Doug

William Clunie
11-20-2008, 03:39 PM
I agree with seadug . . . don't plan around me either.

Sawtooth
11-20-2008, 04:19 PM
+1 on that.

Ken
11-21-2008, 02:51 AM
So far we have this.

WW/Chainbearer- Any weekend
Ksnake and J9- Anything but Jan 24
Dave R- Feb 28
Plodder-Any weekend
Two Elk-No reply yet
Seadug-Jan 31, Feb 7 &14
Andy in NH Anything but Feb 7
Ozark- No reply yet
Earl and OP- No reply yet
Sawtooth- Feb 14
Ralph- Any weekend
GJZ- No reply yet
William-Jan 31 or Feb 8, can't do Feb 14-21. Or Jan 13-20
Pa Scott- Any weekend

William Clunie
11-21-2008, 06:36 AM
I'm pretty much in as long as it doesn't take place from Feb. 14 through Feb. 21. Or Jan. 13 through Jan. 20.

Ken
11-21-2008, 06:55 AM
Guys/Gals- I've edited my list, please review it and make sure it is correct. Hopefully I'l get some more responses over the next few days and we can have a date set by Thanksgiving.

GJZ
11-23-2008, 05:25 PM
Patrick,

Many good memories pulling Tehachapie Pass, one of my favorites!

Ken,

I'll try to make any weekend that works for everyone....Should be easier to make this year!

Ken
11-23-2008, 06:11 PM
Can't edit, so I'll copy paste...

Dave R- Feb 28
Plodder-Any weekend
Two Elk-No reply yet
Seadug-Jan 31, Feb 7 &14
Ozark- Not sure, but any weekend at this point
Sawtooth- Feb 14
Ralph- Any weekend
GJZ- Any weekend
William-Jan 31 or Feb 8, can't do Feb 14-21. Or Jan 13-20
Pa Scott- Any weekend

PA Scott
11-24-2008, 05:28 PM
Got a black bear today. Bear meat at the ECR!

GJZ
11-24-2008, 06:30 PM
PA Scott, That's fantastic good to hear you got a bear!

I didn't pull the trigger on a couple of four pointers sparring over a doe up at a friends place in Maine anticipating they would rattle in a bigger buck but it never developed. Not much on shooting small bucks, rather see them get a few more years on them. Took the long way home to visit a friend in PA and he called today to tell me a big black bear showed up after I left and his phone was ringing off the hook with neighbors wanting to get his permission to hunt his farm. Oh well that's how it goes.

Ken
11-25-2008, 07:40 AM
Nice! How big?

Ken
11-25-2008, 08:03 AM
Again...

Dave R- Feb 28
Plodder-Any weekend
Two Elk-No reply yet
Seadug-Jan 31, Feb 7 &14
Sawtooth- Feb 14
Ralph- Any weekend
GJZ- Any weekend
William-Jan 31 or Feb 7, can't do Feb 14-21. Or Jan 13-20
Pa Scott- Any weekend
Tierce- Jan 31, Feb 7

Anybody else going to chime in? We need to get this date finalized so people can get their plane/train tickets.

Ken
11-26-2008, 03:20 AM
Dave R- Jan 24, Feb 7,21,28
Plodder-Any weekend
Two Elk-No reply yet
Seadug-Jan 31, Feb 7 &14
Sawtooth- Feb 14
Ralph- Any weekend
GJZ- Any weekend
William-Jan 31 or Feb 7, can't do Feb 14-21. Or Jan 13-20
Pa Scott- Any weekend
Tierce- Jan 31, Feb 7

PA Scott
11-26-2008, 07:07 AM
As I look at the list, it seems that Jan 31 works for a bunch of folks.

Ken, what do you think?

Ken
11-26-2008, 09:44 AM
Jan 31 and Feb 7th both will leave two potential attendies out, so I'm looking for a tie breaker at this point. Dave got ahold of Two Elk and he is supposed to give me his input soon.

Stay tuned.../images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Two Elk
11-26-2008, 05:23 PM
Sorry for my snooze on this...any weekend.

Woods Walker
11-26-2008, 06:51 PM
I will go anytime that crazy fool from PA shows up with the hard cider. Anytime.....

GJZ
11-27-2008, 06:15 AM
I'll try to make any weekend but I think the rondy's with an earlier date (colder weather) seemed to be the hardest for people to make in recent years. I don't know if holiday weekends are better for some or not....some folks have to bridge a holiday to get paid. But all in all if my memory is correct this is a 5th year anniversary and I would expect it to be a blast....

PA Scott
11-27-2008, 03:38 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Woods Walker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I will go anytime that crazy fool from PA shows up with the hard cider. Anytime..... </div></div>

The 22 gallons downstairs are just about done bubbling. Added 10 pounds of sugar for a little extra kick. Should be fun.

BTW - the bear I got Monday was a small adult female, about 90 pounds. I hunted with a group of 16 other guys (including my oldest son home from college) & we pushed some of the nastiest, thickest swamp you'd ever want to see. We had 10 standers and 7 drivers going through a band of swamp about 500 yards wide about 3/4 of a mile down one side of a glacial lake. I did the drive the next day, having traded in my hunting license for a driver's license. Nothing like 30 yards at a stretch on your hands and knees crawling under the scrub through spongy peat. Bear trails like tunnels through the scrub. No wonder they hide in there.

If I was hunting by myself, I would probably pass on the bear I shot, but as hard as we are were working to kick the bear out, you wouldn't even think of passing on a shot on a bear that kicks out to you if you were a stander -- you'd never live it down. So... I've got a small bearskin rug on the way that Paula wants to hang on a wall in one of the kids rooms.

One of the other guys got a bear on Wednesday. They had to push it back & forth through a swamp 4 times to get a shot. The drivers would hear the bear crashing through the undergrowth, but just when they were getting near the end where the bear would have to break out in the open where the standers were, the bear (about 200 pounds) would crash a new tunnel through the scrub, get through the drivers, and head back into the swamp. Then they'd have to set up & reverse the drive. Four times it took before they finally kicked it out.

Anyway, so we're getting together at my brother-in-law's house on Saturday to butcher. Duke makes sausage, which I smoke. Looks like bear sausage at the ECR!

Sunday morning I leave for a 4 day backpack hunt into Big Bear Swamp. Monday is the first day of PA's rifle season & schools and many businesses are closed. Hopefully I'll come back with a tale or two -- and maybe some meat & horn.

PA Scott

Ken
11-27-2008, 05:49 PM
Good luck Scott...sounds like your having some fun down there chasing the critters around. There's alot to be said for the deer drives when it comes to having fun with a group of friends. I suppose bear drives would be as much, if not more fun.

Allright fellas. We are at a standstill here.

If we go the 31st, Dave and Sawtooth are out.

If we go the 7th, Andy and Sawtooth are out.

I'm not sure exactly how to solve this dilema, but I'm thinking a coin toss is in order. If anyone else has any suggestions I'm all ears.

Either way, it unfortunately looks like we will NOT have a special guest from Co. this year...sorry 'tooth...I was really looking foward to meeting you.

I DO know that we will vote on ECR '10 date in the 16 man on Saturday while sippin' some cider. That way I don't have to sort all this out again next year...lol...

Sawtooth
11-27-2008, 06:06 PM
Well, whatever works for the greatest number of attendees is what's in order. Although I'd have loved to attend, I'll make a point to do an overnight ski tour that weekend and toast you all from the comfort of my Para Tipi, with the flames dancing on the ceiling. Have fun, fellas!

GJZ
11-27-2008, 07:10 PM
Sawtooth, It would be an absolute pleasure to see you attend the NE rondy....hope some thing comes up to make it possible for you....luck has played a part for me a few times.

Ralph
11-28-2008, 03:03 AM
Sawtooth: what Greg said.

Dave R.
11-28-2008, 12:48 PM
I know Ken, you must be thinking that I really have to be there due to my sterling record of attending, and as a co-founder of the NE Rondy....but, I rather make room for those who have never been to a Rondy... I encourage you to pick the dates that would help a newbie get there...

GJZ
11-28-2008, 03:10 PM
Dave R, You better show up....it wouldn't be the same if you didn't.

PA Scott
11-30-2008, 06:53 AM
Well boys, the bear's all processed and now I'm going off the grid for a few days.

Doesn't get any better than this.

PA Scott

Ken
12-02-2008, 03:43 AM
....and the results of the coin toss are....

FEB 7TH!

Mark your calenders, get your plane tickets, pack the pulks!

My apologies to Andy and Sawtooth, I'm sorry we didn't have a weekend that could have worked out for all of us.

Dave R.
12-02-2008, 01:57 PM
I will be attending with my son...anyone else have kids coming? ...he's ten and will most likely have his hands on a .22 all weekend! just thought I'd throw that out there, In case there are other youngsters that can come...

Dave

Ken
12-02-2008, 02:12 PM
I'll be sure have lot's of ammo that the CZ likes on hand.

I'm working on some 'things' that'll be interesting...

Woods Walker
12-02-2008, 04:13 PM
Dave do your really want your son to see you limp wrist that CZ?

Ken
12-02-2008, 04:45 PM
ouch....

Dave R.
12-02-2008, 06:26 PM
no WW....I have to train him on limp wristing....he's a real tough one though...not sure he will get it right.

Dave R.
12-02-2008, 06:26 PM
archery??

Ken
12-02-2008, 06:33 PM
CZ

Dave R.
12-02-2008, 07:10 PM
....ahhhhh....I like the sound of that:)

Can you set up the archery target too....Will is having fun shooting lately....

Dave

Ken
12-03-2008, 03:12 AM
You betcha.

PA Scott
12-09-2008, 08:00 AM
Finished grinding and stuffing the bear sausage last night (with a little cider lubricating the effort). Smoking is tonight. I'm eager to try this batch: the bear meat was wonderful, although it was a bitch to push through the grinder stuffing the casings.

This year's batch of cider is rather tasty in a delicate way. Of course, you can check and critique it for yourselves at the ECR.

Also got a deer on Saturday, so looks like a pot of venison stew & some venison hot dogs are on the ECR menu as well.

PA Scott

Mountain6
12-09-2008, 11:27 AM
hey where do you guys hold this? i am up in VT, got some moose meat to donate to the cause
no venison yet but it aint over

Ken
12-09-2008, 01:34 PM
M6- The event is held in Northville. Moose meat is always welcome.../images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

About 2 weeks prior to the event I'll e-mail out directions to all interested parties that need them.

Looking foward to meeting you.

GJZ
12-12-2008, 05:14 PM
Ken,

I have two friends who might be interested in attending the ECR.

Ken R, who you met already at the '06 ECR and another avid hunter/co-worker.

Ken
12-12-2008, 05:16 PM
Sounds good!

Dave R.
12-12-2008, 08:26 PM
Greg....did you invite Uncle Ted again?

Ken
12-13-2008, 11:06 AM
I'm getting some PM's from some new fellas that would like to attend. I'd like to remind everyone that all are welcome and that means friends/family too.

Generally speaking, be prepared to carry/drag all your stuff a mile and a half into the site. There usually is some snow, so sleds/pulks are typically the way to go. As always, I try to help out with the snowmachine as much as possible.

I'll send directions out to all interested parties a week or so before the event. Keep an eye on this thread for the announcement, then shoot me a PM requesting info.

GJZ
12-14-2008, 12:49 AM
Dave R, maybe Ken could send him a PM with some directions....

Woods Walker
12-18-2008, 07:18 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ken</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Generally speaking, be prepared to carry/drag all your stuff a mile and a half into the site. There usually is some snow </div></div>

1.5 miles though the snow.....Oh no I didn't sign up for that. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

Dave R.
12-20-2008, 05:46 PM
...don't know if my wrist is up for that WW. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

GJZ
12-20-2008, 06:15 PM
Put that Kifaru gear to work and enjoy the ride....

GJZ
01-09-2009, 08:53 AM
I have a feeling this will be 1 of the best....

I think this is a 5Th year anniversary since the first rendezvous!