PDA

View Full Version : 1911 Holster

CavScout
05-08-2006, 11:14 PM
Well, I finally bought the pistol of my dreams (or at least the first one): a Kimber 1911 Custom II. Now I have the buy all the accessories that really break the bank. Does anyone have suggestions on the best holsters to carry a 1911 a) in a drop-leg configuration, b) on a chest rig, and c) on the hip? I'm a small guy and have never been a fan of drop-leg anything, especially pistols, but it may be the best way in the end. Thanks!

Gizzmo
05-09-2006, 04:22 AM
I use a Bladetech Gunsite 1911 as a belt holster. I like Kydex, easy to draw from.
You might look at a Blackhawk CQC Serpa and a molle adapter. That would give you the choice of a belt, paddle, or molle to go on a chest rig or a thigh rig. I use a CQC Serpa with my Glock 21 and really like it.

Hanzo
05-09-2006, 06:35 AM
I picked up a Bladetech for my Custom II TLE last night. It's comfortable, easy to a adjust and does a great job. I wasn't overly impressed with its concealability but maybe I'm just asking too much.

militarymoron
05-09-2006, 06:58 AM
a safariland 6004 for drop leg - i've modified mine to single leg strap use and a higher ride. it can be used off a belt, or from a rig.
belt (username and password are both 'mm' to view pic):
http://militarymorons.com/equipment/img/ucr10.jpg

or attached to a rig with an EMDOM molle adapter:
http://militarymorons.com/equipment/emdom/img/em42.jpg

the 1911 is just a big and heavy gun for chest rig mounting. i have yet to see a stable yet compact MOLLE mount for a full size handgun - everything on the market is very bulky. i designed my own kydex holster/molle adapter that is very compact, but the holster maker flaked out (he was supposed to make me one for a 1911), and all i have is a prototype for my glock 19.

USMA84DAB
05-09-2006, 10:31 AM
I am happy with how HSGI's rig rides on the leg - I wear it as high as I can/just low enough to clear the belt line.

USMA84DAB

Gizzmo
05-09-2006, 11:31 AM
MM- I like the way you set up that Safariland 6004
Looks like a comfortable rig.

AbnMedOps
05-09-2006, 04:12 PM
I'll defer to the other guys for the chestrigs, drop-legs, etc. I lost track of fashion in those items those a long time ago.

For inside the OPCEN, when your LBE / vest is hanging by the door: Belt-Slide on your high-speed nylon trouser belt(from The Wilderness)

Milt Sparks Summer Special inside the waistband under an Aloha shirt or jacket.

Safepacker from The Wilderness for a wide variety of other scenarios, including travel and backpacking.

Ralph
05-09-2006, 07:48 PM
I'm skinny and not big front to back, so most shoulder rigs produce odd bumps on me. I always preferred carrying a .45 in a cross-chest holster (pistol is flat against the chest, bottom clipped to the belt, single strong side shoulder strap, holster is simple, flat skeleton type with snap-strap - it was standard issue at the time).

For concealment, wear it under the shirt or jacket and you have to unbutton/unzip to get to the pistol. On active duty, I wore it outside. It's out of the way in vehicles, allows easy movement and doesn't flop while being easy to draw when sitting - or any position except full prone.

BuckarooMedic
05-18-2006, 01:27 PM
CavScout -

What type of LBE are you using and what type of vehicle are you riding in? Personally, I found that a TT 5.56/.223 Single Mag Pouch works great as a chest rig holster. I wear mine on a HSGI Warlord V4, mounted on the two columns of PALS on the strong side next to the main fold down admin area. This pouch also worked very well for an M-9, but the 1911 really fits "like a glove". I was in Civil Affairs and I liked to not have anything strapped to my legs so I could get in and out of the Humvee easier/quicker. Also, I felt I had better control/security of the pistol mounted on my chest rig.

I also had a TT Modular holster for the M-9 in the same location. This holster worked very well too. I gave it to a buddy who is over in Iraq now. It was specifically made for the M-9, but TT can make them for 1911 models also.

Take care

JasonB
05-20-2006, 04:25 AM
Blade Tech's IWB holster used to be very handy assuming they haven't changed anything. I can usually handle wearing one with most all internal frame packs(ALICE is another story)and in FBI cant style it will conceal under a t-shirt.

For a totally external duty belt type set up why not try a police type holster? A lot of times these can be had used for cheap and work very well.

BoulderTroll
05-24-2006, 05:27 AM
I can't speak for the 1911 in specific as its beeen a while since I carried one concealed. But for a SIG P226 which is probably equally as bulky (and I'm a skinny guy too), I've had good luck with these...

Blackhawk Industries inside the waistband holster. It's a no frills, one size fits many, type holster but I find I keep coming back to it for its comfort and concealability.

Eagle Industries vertical shoulder holster and Airborne Law Pouch on the other side. This holser being vertical conceales even big handguns reasonably well and in the ABL pouch I carry 2 spare mags, a Surefire 6P and cuffs.

Galco "Jackass" rig. with the downward cant on the holster it conceals big guns decently but the grip angle takes some getting used to. For all day comfort I actually think it's worse than the Eagle holster which has even more gear on it.

For drop leg the 6004 is by far my favorite. I've tried and gotten rid of quite a few drop-legs and the 6004 has them all beat by miles. Plus it's the same holster as I carry on my duty-belt so muscle-memory is the same. I've slimmed my 6004 down even more than MM shows on his. I completely removed the leg shroud and also the top strap. I shortened the hanger to the point that the gun butt sits only about 2 inches (or less) below my belt. Worn this high its still under my LBV but high enough to be very similar to my duty belt set-up. And it doesn't flop around.