PDA

View Full Version : Longpockets...Pro's & Con's

Dennis in VA
05-08-2006, 12:18 PM
I would like to hear from those that are using Longpockets any advantages or dis-advantages you might have noticed between the side zip standard and the top zip malice. Can the Longpockets be used on a Longhunter?

obscurious ronin
05-08-2006, 01:25 PM
i like the side zip cuz i tend to fill mine with smaller stuff and inevitably what i need migrates to the bottom... the side zip runs the full length so i have access to the entire pocket, meaning i don't have to pull everything out in order to get at what i need.

i've never used the top zip so i can't say much about them, but the aforementioned is why i chose the side zip.

Mel
05-08-2006, 02:47 PM
Dennis, the Long Pockets can be used on a Longhunter. They will Dock n Lock to the compression straps of the Longhunter.

Mel

BrooklynBen
05-08-2006, 03:29 PM
You might do a search on this subject. There has been a number of threads and discussions on this issue.

I have both. I like the top loader to stuff a tarp in. The side zip has a couple of advantages because I can also use it attached horizontally.

Either way, you can't go 'wrong' /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

seb5
05-08-2006, 03:51 PM
They both are very user friendly. I have 2 of each and use them frequently. Most of the time I still attatch the malice versions with dock and lock anyway. I tend to keep them full to keep them tight and will even tighten up the pack before emptying the long pockets. I generally stuff them with gore tex or the 6 piece spear cold weather system. They work better full and I usually keep my smaller items in a pair of 2 quarts, or a horizontal malice claymore. I used to pit my pillow in a long pocket on the bottom of my packs but recently have been using a poncho liner for added warmth if needed. I just use the whole stuffed long pocket as a pillow now.

Gizzmo
05-09-2006, 12:49 PM
I was debating this same subject 3 weeks ago.
So I purchased one of each.

Olive Drab
05-09-2006, 01:18 PM
I didnt like how the grommets were placed on the side zip instead of the bottom like the top zip. didnt work for my purposes.

Hanzo
05-25-2006, 09:37 PM
For what it's worth, I just stuffed a military green bag in the bivy into a long pocket with the side zip. These things hold a LOT!