PDA

View Full Version : Need help w/ Zulu

medicjim
05-01-2006, 09:35 AM
OK, I dropped some change and purchased a zulu with the ETL as well as one back pouch. I plan to use this for rescue work.

My question is this... I've now looked first hand at the build quality and design features of this pack and cannot resist the urge to place follow on orders...

Please... help me... I haven't even paid the credit card bill for my initial purchase and I'm already contemplating a second trip "into the wallet"... is there some sort of support group?

DNW
05-01-2006, 09:46 AM
Dont bother with a support group,

Get a second job, sell your dog, whatever it takes...

militarymoron
05-01-2006, 09:48 AM
your support group is here, my friend. we support any purchase you make, so no worries.

IanJ
05-02-2006, 04:14 AM
i had the marauder, loved the build quality, dropped $500 on it and pouches. needed a pack that opened from the top, dropped another $800 on a zulu and pouches. if it wasnt enough that the packs are made to withstand any environment, anywhere, these guys know how to treat a customer. just got my zulu back after having some repairs done to it. and medic, bro, that money you spend now, kifaru will pay you back in the outstanding customer service they provide.

straps
05-02-2006, 10:44 AM
Actually, we're more of a group of co-dependents.

Have you considered the comparative advantages of the E&E versus a standard Back Pouch?

And BTW, Long Pockets work GREEEAT on the sides of the Zulu...

medicjim
05-02-2006, 04:43 PM
Back pockets appear to work great on the sides of a Zulu as well. I'm worried anything on the back will alter the balance point and shift the weight to my shoulders. My U-SAR team's 'worst case' loadout is very heavy and I'm 40...injuries take forever to heal.

I'll probably order another back pouch, maybe an E&E and some sort of organizer pouch in the next round...I want to slowly build up my new solution, comparing it back and forth with my old setup...sort of an 'evolution' vs 'revolution' approach

I'm also hoping that I don't need to escape and evade anytime soon...we usually respond to trouble and stay put. In that capacity, I've been leaning on you guys that are forward deployed, since bout' the middle of September 01'. Thank You.

Lone Piper
05-02-2006, 05:04 PM
Welcome to the addiction...we all have the bug BAD!!! Congrats on your zulu...its a ROCKIN' pack!

IanJ
05-02-2006, 11:49 PM
on my zulu i have an E&E on the back, once you cinch it down, it doesnt alter, and this is during 15k movements in the mountains with 60lbs riding in the pack. i also have a long pouch on one side and a utility pouch on the other. i would definately suggest the E&E over a back pouch.

Wood7
05-03-2006, 04:06 AM
That's awesome stuff /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif I think this is the wrong place for anyone who doesn't want to get talked into buying new gear, especially Kifaru. I'm in the same boat; I ordered an Express and an E&E (oh, I don't know about the back pouches but the E&E is awesome) around the end of March and they just got here two days ago and I couldn't be more pleased with my purchase. It's money well spent.

My wife hates mismatched luggage, so I think I'll let her stick with samsonite. I'll just tell her that I don't like mismatched luggage anymore either, which will give me a perfect excuse to by a pointman and a zulu to go along with my collection /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif not just for TDY's but all the more, for visiting the enlaws, I think I will use the E&E (Escape & Evade) a little more for that mission /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Ubique
06-29-2006, 06:01 AM
Started with a couple of 2 quart pouches, moved up to a Zulu + a couple of pouches, added an EMR.
and a paratarp Had a shed load of overtime and a tax rebate earlier this year, WTH, hello marauder.
Now on a 6 month Kifaru ban, that is unless I want to sleep outside!!

SuperBadger
06-29-2006, 06:09 AM
Medic,

I highly recommend picking up a set or two of ultralight pullouts. I bought a set, and use them every day. I've got 2 (one really small, one small) dedicated to grab and go, and the rest I use for everything from camera accessories to extra socks.....they are deffinetly a very useful purchase, and they can help organize your gear really well.

sparhawk
06-29-2006, 07:40 AM
OK.... I confessed... I sold a decked out ruger 10/22 to buy a MMR with XLT lid and side pouches.

I must say I never regret it one bit.

Must... Order... More... Kifaru...

Gizzmo
06-29-2006, 11:28 AM
EMR and 2 long pockets
Scout w/ padded power pull belt
Field Chair
Pullouts
It's a terrible sickness.
Now I'm trying to decide on a mid size pack to fill the gap between the EMR and my Scout.

Rich9644
06-29-2006, 12:13 PM
Ordered a Maruader earlier this year along with 2 claymore pockets. I needed something bigger and ordered an MMR earlier this week. With this setup, I think I have all my corners covered.

Well, maybe not....

eggroll
06-29-2006, 04:16 PM
BAH!

Save your ducats and buy a RamblerRifle
/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif
EGG

Woods Walker
06-29-2006, 05:28 PM
Just roll with it.

thewolverine
06-29-2006, 07:02 PM
rambler rifle GOOD!!! which caliber?

medicjim
06-30-2006, 08:22 AM
I shoot competitively, reload, I thought I did it all...

WHAT is a rambler rifle?

Lone Piper
06-30-2006, 06:52 PM
Buy a claymore pouch...you'll feel much better!

morantheman
09-16-2006, 08:14 AM
samsonite?? aren't those the "rucks" that they issue to the airforce?

Teacher in CA
09-16-2006, 09:31 PM
I think the Kifaru addiction will get worse at the Bar-B-Q near the end of the month.. I am actually thinking of living like college again.. (if I eat ramen noodles for the next month, I can afford....) just to get the next items.. Yes, more than one item.

seb5
09-17-2006, 02:37 PM
Over the years I've bought 4 new kifarus and 1 used. I've still got 3. I'd like to try an Express but don't think it would do anything my Marauders or Zulu does'nt. And the pockets and pouches.............ouch.