PDA

View Full Version : aluminum stay modifications

axisofignorance
04-30-2006, 01:02 AM
Im always trying to figure out ways to lose weight on my gear.I Figured If I replaced the aluminum stays on my pointman with thinner aluminum it might help.

I found some 1 x 1/8 inch bar at home depot but after I was done bending it I didnt feel it was strong enough.I tried to email the manufacturer to find out whay grade they use in their product but they never got back to me.There is an aircraft hardware store close by so I went there and bought some 2024 t4 1 x 1/8.This material while it still flexes slightly holds it shape much better than the first stuff I bought.I am not sure what grade kifaru uses.

After I made my new stays I weighed them and they came up roughly 4 ounces lighter than the factory ones.Inside the pack they feel fine and flex just barely enough to feel more comfortable.I dont plan on carrying 75 pound loads in my pointman so these should hold up.Ill take more measurements to see if they warped after my next outing.

The best part is if you dont like it you can always put your old stays back in.The aluminum I purchased was about 10 bucks.
http://www.blowfishpaintball.com/jack/pointman/rs.img.jpg

Patrick
04-30-2006, 05:11 AM
Hello axis--

The aluminum you purchased should do well enough for general backpacking...about the only way you'll deform it is if you sit on the pack. Of course we build for much more massive weights than backpacking; your original equipment bars are at least double the stiffness (I forget the specifics); they must be to cope with the military (or hunting) roles we design for. And we found there is no 1/8" thick alloy that'll perform to our specs., hence the 3/16" bars we use. A 50% jump in thickness results in at least a 100% increase in rigidity, in other words. If you need to carry your buddy out of harm's way on one of our CargoChairs you better have those original equipment stays in your Pointman!

axisofignorance
04-30-2006, 04:04 PM
The factory stays are heavy duty indeed.Ill keep them in off season when my pack is a BOB.Hopefully someday Ill have 2 dedicated packs.

First time I ever had to downgrade durability for my needs:)