PDA

View Full Version : Tailgunner 1 pouch advice please.

ropeman
04-28-2006, 12:59 AM
I've got a Tailgunner 1 on order and i need a couple of bits of information from you guys.

First question: I want to stick an organiser pocket to the outside of it for carrying all kinds of little bits of gear: Leatherman, folding knife, mobile phone, GPS, torch (flashlight /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif ) spare batteries, pens, notebook, keys, wallet etc. essentially all the crap you normally lug around in jacket and trouser pockets and on your belt. I've been thinking about the Spec Ops Pack Rat or Op Order; I have their mini BDU organiser and I'm pretty well pleased with it. Other possibles are the Maxpedition Neat Freak and the Emdom BOMB. It also needs to have PALS webbing on the back which may rule out a couple of the above.

Anyone have experience of these or suggestions for other pouches?

Second question is for anyone who has a Tailgunner 1 already: How does an Emdom 4x4 SUV fit on the outside? I want to put a couple of side pouces on the 'gunner for carrying water, I know the SUV holds a 1.5 litre Camelbak pretty well but will it foul the lid zip?

Thanks for any advice, pics are more than welcome.

fireballxl5
04-28-2006, 05:54 AM
I have a Pack Rat and as far as I can see, there is no obvious simple way to attach one "nicely" to a PALs array.

http://www.zeroniner.com/images/external_links/packrat_back.jpg

The back (shown above) has D ring toward the top on each side and a vertical length of web, sewn at the bottom and the D ring, forming a vertical loop. The web then continues hen accross the top in a U shape between the 2 D rings, so you could use, carabiners or Grimlocks etc to hang it.

The front just has a mesh pocket.

Ralph
04-28-2006, 06:14 AM
The Pack Rat is designed to be dropped into a pack, not hung from it. You will want to look for something with MOLLE or MALICE clip attachment. You don't want this sort of thing flopping around.

Last year someone had some photos of an EOD pouch that might work - anyone recall where he got it?

This is the type of thing that got me making my own small pouches. One advantage of DIY is that you can design the thing to hold exactly what you want to put in it.

oktec60
04-28-2006, 02:21 PM
On my "purse", I have a large Emdom shingle on the front with a small on the left side, and a Kifaru Liter plus on the right. It's pretty easy to organize the stuff you discribed inside the the TG1, so I just use the shingles to carry stuff I need access to quickly and frequently.

Mike

NewGuy
04-29-2006, 08:02 AM
Speaking of TG1, I already have on order a tailgunner panel. I guess no one seems to want to purchase that, but i see the obvious benefits. I have the aites claymore pouch on order as well as a back pouch. Speaking for the claymore pouch, if im not mistakened, it's measure 8"by12"by 5" deep. So i'm guessing its around the same size as a TG1. I can never have one set up, so the TG panel is great for swapping large and smaller pockets when i want to change volume capacity. Sorry for deviating from topic, lol.

ropeman
04-29-2006, 08:57 AM
No worries about topic drift as far as I'm concerned NG /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif I like the TG platform for it's modularity but I felt the ability to keep stuff in the TG1 as a dayhike bag to keep ready to go all the time and as a small motorbike bag was what sold it to me.

I seem to have inadvertantly become a TG1 collector, I spotted a Multicam on ebay with MC Claymore pouch, accessory panels and padded PALS belt so I had to have a bid at it. Now I'm waiting on two nearly identical packages to come from opposite directions.

Hanzo
04-29-2006, 09:48 AM
Ropeman,

What size are you looking for? I was going to use an Emdom WL 3" for the same purpose you described but due to some circumstances that wouldn't affect you, I went to the SORD commander panel.

ropeman
04-29-2006, 10:26 AM
I've already got a Fattie WL but that lives on the lid of my Pointman. I am looking to get a 3" Hanzo, I'll chuck you a PM.

T&S Manufacturing
04-29-2006, 10:44 AM
ropeman;

I got knocked out at $140 and re-bid @ $160 but auction ended before my bid could take.

I might be just as well. I emailed the seller to ask what U.S. waist size the belt was and he said the belt was "adjustable to fit all sizes". I couldn't confirm that before auction ended.

ropeman
04-29-2006, 11:04 AM
Well that's lucky for me, I bid up to $180. A bit of a worry that he doesn't know the belt is sized. Time will tell.

T&S Manufacturing
04-29-2006, 05:49 PM
Uh....I'm a size 38....(hint, hint) /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

NewGuy
04-29-2006, 10:20 PM
Another thought just popped into my head as i was thinking about the tailgunners in general. All of them lack the ability to store the omni-belt when not in use, i wonder if any of you guys have already made any form of make-shift storage devices for the belt to be tucked in when you are using the shoulder strap(s) (perhaps shock cord?), or if simply buckling the belt can keep it out of the way, or just removing it all together.

ropeman
04-29-2006, 10:43 PM
That's one of the reasons I ordered mine with an unpadded belt, I don't see any loss of comfort on such a small pack and it will be easier to either take the belt off entirely and stuff it inside or, if I'm docking it to a larger pack, it should just fold in behind the TG.

And I'm a slim and svelte 36 T&S so if it arrives too large and doesn't fit...I'm just gonna eat more 'til it does /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

murphquake
05-01-2006, 03:30 PM
Ropeman,
Have you considered the Kifaru Stash-It? It's designed to contour with the belt on the pack and has elastic loops on the inside that would let you keep things straight. When I designed the emdom utili-shingles they were meant as a spot to carry your general purpose items in a low profile manner on a belt order or vest, while not losing any space for mission essential pouches. The Stash-It takes this one further by being optimized for use on a waist belt of a pack, contoured appropriately, zips open further, and has some internal organization. Other pouches worth considering and definitely right in price would be the Tactical Tailor 1H Horizontal utility pouch and their standard Small Utility pocket... I run one of each on my EMS duty belt... For the list of things you want to carry Here's my rundown on how I prefer to carry them....

Leatherman - i prefer in an individual lidded pouch
folding knife - ditto
mobile phone - pocket, belt clip whatever... but I use mine all day and night... on a pack where it's not going to be used constantly it could definitely be in a pouch with other stuff.
torch - primary/tac light in its own pouch, others can go anywhere... at work I have a surefire A2 and streamlight stylus in a velcro lidded pistol mag style pouch and carry a LED headlamp in the TT small ute with a bunch of other junk. Small lights like CMG infinity & photon micros are fine in a pocket or gp pouch with other stuff... depends on how you intend to use it all...
GPS - depends on how it's being used... once in a while or as a survival item in a gp pouch is fine, if it's a constant use land nav item it needs its own pouch
spare batteries - can go in a GP pocket or pouch. I highly recommend a small waterproof plastic case like the SF spares carriers or an otterbox or mini pelican... keep it all in one spot and safeguard them... I keep an SC3 in the backpack I carry to and from my ambulance and car with my other work junk that isn't on my belt.
pens - too much documentation for them not to be in shirt and trou pockets... spares and a fat sharpie in the TT 1H
notebook - in the TT 1H... but lots of people carry them in shirt pockets and such... sometimes I do... big rite in the rain fan, but the kifaru ones are great for in the house
keys - in the field usually in my pack, at work and edc in my trou pocket, but can go to a man purse if I'm carrying one... have for years, starting with the one I made from a malice saw pouch and a pair of compass cases, a bunch of 550, alice clips and a webbing strap with loops on the end cut off a parachutists rough terrain suit (later a gp sling)
wallet - same as with the keys...

Other things you may want to consider are a small FAK and a little pack of MPH meds... I don't carry the meds on my person at work as I'm heavily regulated, but I do keep alcohol pads and bandaids in the TT small ute behind a benchmade rescue hook in the plastic sheath...

HTH!
-bill

TwoRavens
05-01-2006, 07:24 PM
murphquake,
Could you show us a picture of the TT small ute and rescue hook setup?

TIA,

ropeman
05-01-2006, 11:32 PM
Murphquake, thanks for that. I already use a Stash-it on the hipbelt of my Pointman, holds most stuff. Leatherman usually rides in a Maxpedition tube sheath on the outside of the Pointman and may do again on the TG, the folding knife I'd usually take in my rucksack would be a Spyderco Manix or a Sebenza, both of these are a little bit scary for the average UK punter and I try to keep them hidden (knife = weapon, thanks to our media).

Phone, GPS and Night Ops Gladius are all for emergency use and I don't need them on a routine basis through a normal day on the hill. My keys are a bit of a big lump of general survival gear with a couple of keys attached, they and notebooks travel inside my rucksack normally as I hate having stuff in my pockets while walking with any purpose.

FAK and edmergency shelter (currently a Blizzard bag) have a pouch which is clearly marked and available to any passerby who may find me unconcious ( I don't know the etiquette in the US but, on british hills it is the norm to use any caualty you finds own supplies to fix them, saving your own, if possible, to fix yourself later).

Mostly, all this stuff rides in an Emdom Fattie WL (A wonderful piece of design /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif ) on the top lid of my Pointman at present but I think this will overwhelm a TG1 and need a rethink when my now 2 TG1s arrive. I will check out TT.

T&S: I seriously doubt I could eat more now. Did you ever have a Labrador retriever? I think I got some genes off one somewhere down the line. I'm fine if I get taken out for regular runs up and down a few mountains but I just eat through boredom if left to my own devices.

murphquake
05-01-2006, 11:41 PM
TR,
Not much to show... just a bunch of stuff crammed in a pouch... would probably be blocked by a n95 respirator and a pair of 4" x 4" gauze pads... up front is a 1oz bottle of skel gel (alcohol based hand sanitizer) and my headlamp... also in the pouch are an emergency backup pair of exam gloves and a couple IV tourniquets. If I can figure out my cousins camera I'll try to take and upload a pic for you.
-bill

murphquake
05-02-2006, 11:10 AM
Ropeman,
Looks like we were posting at the same time =-) for strangely shaped stuff like keys and batteries, I'd suggest the TT 1H, they're only like $12.50US, which is a steal at any exchange rate... Available in most cool colors as well. If the stuff is going to be backup/emergency use and not constantly in and out of the pouch then something like it will work well.. If it's not belt mounted the 1H would be a great economical alternative to the Stash It. They're almost a third of the cost. Totally understand about the knife... what a wacky country. The Wide Load and it's mutant big brother the Fattie WL were pretty much tailor made to put this kind of junk on an assault/3-day sized pack or a full on ruck. I've said it before and I'll say it again... the CamelBak BFM has the same layout (3 elastic topped open pockets and a zippered pouch on it's bottom front pocket and I used it for pretty much what you're talking about... carrying my work gear to and from before I had a dedicated duty belt... knife, torch, multitool and pens on the bottom that's why I put the elastic there, ambulance keys, pocket guide and pad, other junk in the 3 open pouches and stethoscope and more junk in the zipped pouch...) a smaller version would be nice, and was planned to be only 2 pals bars high, as well as one 2/3 the width and narrower front to back, as a smaller organizer. Thanks for the smiley.
-bill

ropeman
05-02-2006, 12:03 PM
You've hit the nail on the head there Bill, I now have a desperate need for a 2/3 Wide Load. Same height but only 2" deep and two pockets wide.

I went to order a TT 1H pouch but the shipping came in at $25. I need to email to see if thats still in effect for one pouch or I need to buy a whole heap of gear to make it economical.

One thing you mentioned that I should have noted more is carrying batteries, I always use either the relevant SF spares carrier if using a SF light or a simple plastic carrier from a camera shop. I've seen what can happen to Lithium batteries if they get wet or short out across each other or other gear. Not pretty.