PDA

View Full Version : A word of thanks....

QQexDERA
04-26-2006, 02:10 PM
Thanks guys. The Zulu arrived today. And am I impressed? Oh yes! After having owned a Marauder and not being entirely happy with the zip open design (i'm a bit of a finnicky sod on these things), I took the plunge and ordered a Zulu. Given how long I waited for the Marauder last time, well, this time the wait was half as long /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

So whats it going to be used for? Backpacking, lugging kit around to various places for various hobbies, and for shifting some pretty expensive scientific equipment around to some fairly remote locations. I've used rucks from Arc'Teryx, Berghaus, Lowe Alpine & Karrimor, and I have yet to see a ruck as well built as Kifaru's.

All I can say guys, is thanks for making my life easier!

BrooklynBen
04-26-2006, 06:57 PM
Another satisfied Kifaru adict /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

In all seriousness, I've heard the term "sod" many times (mostly used as "sod off!".

What is the general meaning of this word? Thanks from the Yank /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

militarymoron
04-26-2006, 07:38 PM
"sod" in that context just means "guy" or "chap".
"sod off" comes from "sodomy" or "sodomite".

fireballxl5
04-26-2006, 10:10 PM
I think you'd find that sod as a noun is pretty much an abbreviation for sodomite as it is for the verb.

Though for some reason it is not overly insulting,and is often used in a relatively friendly sense, eg drunken banter between freinds or even, as above in self reference.

e.g.
"...you miserable sod..." or "...what a rotten sod!"

For some reason, the Brits I think are less uptight about the casual exchange of insults in friendly banter, and us Aussie's more so.

To the extent that even the "...bloody poms..." occaisionally get upset by us.

No disrespect to any "bloody whining poms" intended.
:-)

Nathan C
04-27-2006, 04:41 AM
Stag' on. That's all I learned from the british troops :p That and Bollocks/Dog Bollocks, no idea what they mean.

mig
04-27-2006, 11:56 AM
what got me was "rocking horse ****" in reference to rarity, and how hard some bit of gear was to find

QQexDERA
04-27-2006, 02:12 PM
Nathan C - Bollocks means "a tad more than just trash/rubbish" yet "dogs bollocks" means the best thing going /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

BUT, sometimes, the "the dogs bollocks" can be shortened to "the bollocks"

so, examples of bad:

"god, the weathers bollocks"
"Bollocks. I've lost my car keys"

and examples of good:

"This new Kifaru is the Dogs bollocks" /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif
"This new underwaterninjafighting knife is the bollocks"

fireball - no disrespect taken from this "bloody whining pom", so "sod off back to Australia you bloody crim" /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif (j/k dood!)

Hanzo
04-27-2006, 03:11 PM
As far as the actual word "bollocks"...sound it out and leave out the "-locks" part of it.

There used to be something called a bollocks knife that was called that because it was very phallic and it was in referrence to the two large knobs at the base.