PDA

View Full Version : Buckle Interchangeability

MATCHGRADE
04-26-2006, 09:21 AM
Hello,
I have a marauder, express, EMR, and E&E with the old black stealth buckles. I have a ZXR with XTL on the way, and 2 long pockets. I realized that the buckles are fastex. I like the new tan hardware, but how interchangeable are the buckles on the XTL, and the ZXR. For example, I would like to not only use my XTL on my EMR, but the plain lid on my ZXR at times. Will this be possible with the way lids mount to the ZXR, and the way buckles are attached to the XTL. I called Kifaru and asked about using the XTL on the EMR, and was told that with extra fastex it could work. However, there are a few more interchangeability issues when doing the opposite. Also, I could be wrong, but the fastex stuff seems heavier than stealth. Mel, Patrick, any thoughts?

Nathan C
04-26-2006, 11:25 AM
Black buckles only go with black. Tan and foliage are can be used together. You could always replace the black ones for whatever color you want at supply captain, then everything would work.

Patrick
04-26-2006, 11:30 AM
Hello matchgrade--

None of the side release buckles will match up; you'll have to get Fastex male halves for your older host pack(s). And Stealth males for the new pack/old pocket combo. That's all there is to it. Staff here at the Shop will send the extras if you so specify, or they are available elsewhere (I think Supply Captain) if you want to wait and get some later. All the older single buckles (Tension Lock) will work fine.

MATCHGRADE
04-26-2006, 12:03 PM
Got it. I figgured somthing like that in theory. I noticed the XTL does not attach via buckles in the back.

Does the ZXR have straps for the rear hood attachment as opposed to a closed webbing loop with a female buckle like the EMR?
Thats confusing me a bit as to how the xtl will fit the EMR. Thanks again.

Patrick
04-26-2006, 01:54 PM
MATCHGRADE--

The rear attachment system on the XTL hood uses single Ladder Lock buckles instead of side release buckles. This is due in part to it's "skirt" feature; it needs to snug down closer on all our top loader packs when carrying small loads than would be possible if it used longer side release assemblies. It's a function issue. So, to use it atop your EMR you simply take the male SR buckles off the hold-down straps on the pack bag and then run the webbing straps thru the LL buckles on the XTL rear and voila!, you're ready to go.