PDA

View Full Version : ZXR for backpacking?

Edlund
04-26-2006, 01:32 AM
So, sitting here feeling the attraction for Kifaru packs as my old Lowe has given up the ghost and is beyond repair ( well not really but it's a good excuse to buy something new )

What I'm looking for is a ruck that can handle both hiking trips up to a week, and also military useage.

My thought was that a ZXR with a pod underneath, possibly 2 longpockets and my E&E (that is already orderd) docked on the back would be enough for 3-season hiking in the mountains.
If i had the cash i would buy a EMR/MMR to use for hiking and keep the ZXR for just military usage, but this is not a perfect world where my wallet grows cash on it's own /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

So do you think im am totally out of my mind here, should i instead go for a MMR/EMR since that will fill teh role for a hiking backpack better and just cinch that down for military usage instead?

Best regards

Tomas

Hanzo
04-26-2006, 08:26 AM
That all depends on how you travel. I've outfitted my Express for up to a week in 3 seasons, but I travel lighter than most people want to.

Patrick
04-26-2006, 08:58 AM
Edlund--

Welcome to the Board! Since there are few ZXR's out there at this point, I'll advise you myself:

I wouldn't hesitate to use the ZXR in the dual role you describe, with extra pockets and such. It will have room enough, and be plenty comfortable.

axisofignorance
04-26-2006, 12:19 PM
Im not sure if weight is a concern for you or not but with all the pockets decribed I calculated at over 10 pounds for an empty pack.

EMR is 8 pounds and MMR is 7 pounds 4 ounces.I dont know what volume you need but those are good weight savings just for moving onto a larger platform.

Just some food for thought

Jack-

Flesh Thorn
04-28-2006, 07:14 AM
I recently done a three day using my Zulu without any extra pockets and it was big enough. I could have carried my sleeping bag on the outside and made room for two more days food. I was carring about 15-20 lbs more than most backpackers and I will not be doing that again. I ain't the 19 year old stud anymore, but that is for another thread......so I guess I am saying is that the ZXR should carry more than what anyone should want to.

Oh yeah, hippy hikers really like the evil military look of the PALS and earth tone colors. You should have seen the look of horror on their faces as I whipped out a MRE and started eating it. Oh my ! /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Edlund
04-28-2006, 02:29 PM
Thanks for all the answers and pointers.

Axisofognorance: every little bit counts, hadn't thought of that. But it will not change my desicion and an ZXR will be orderd as soon as my bankaccount gives me a green light.

And as you can see in the pic below, Kifaru is bought and used by individuals in the Swedish armed forces. Zulu ruck with XTL. Was a dream to carry all of our commo gear in it.

http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/4559/kifaru2wx.th.jpg (http://img138.imageshack.us/my.php?image=kifaru2wx.jpg)

Regards

nut_sak_himself
04-29-2006, 10:54 AM
sweedish m90 is my favorite camo pattern by far.

nut_sak_himself
04-29-2006, 10:55 AM
swedish m90 is my favorite camo pattern by far.

... sorry for the double post

Edlund
05-24-2006, 11:06 AM
Final question *drumroll*

Is the ZXR's 3800Cui calculated with a filled stormcollar, or is it with a flattened out stormcollar?

Patrick
05-24-2006, 11:59 AM
Edlund--

We calculate with the storm collar drawn to closure over the load.