PDA

View Full Version : Marauder adjustment help.

lmalterna
04-24-2006, 05:49 PM
First off, I love my Marauder Gen 1 !! I used it on our little trip to DC and had everything I needed for 4 days. I stripped the out pouches off and put them inside and loaded water bottles, juice packs, snacks, compass/maps/brouchures, SPF block, 'biners/550, meds for kids & first aid- 21lbs including pack & cargo chairs(I wanted to carry some weight) Very comfy, then I carried my daughter(58lbs) in cargo chair at National Zoo for 30-40 minutes. At first the weight was off my belt and on my shoulders, I loosened shoulder straps until circulation improved in my arms /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif & carry was better but still seemed to cut into the fronts of my shoulders. Do I have something adjusted wrong or is 80lbs pushing it with this sized pack?
Thanks,
Bill

Hanzo
04-24-2006, 06:12 PM
Well...80lbs is never fun no matter what, but it sounds like you don't quite have things adjusted right.

Here's the way Mel broke it down to me.

Step 1: Put it on with all the straps loose
Step 2: Tighten the waistbelt. You want the stitches on the waistbelt to go across your hipbones.
Step 3: Tighten lower delta straps on the waistbelt.
Step 4: Tighten upper delta straps on the waistbelt.
Step 5: Tighten shoulder straps. Not death tight, just enough to take up the slack.
Step 6: Tighten the sternum strap to your comfort level. I like mine tight so they aren't touching my arms.
Step 7: Tighten the lifting straps.

At this point, the pack should be at a good starting point. You can loosen and tighten the shoulder straps to distribute the weight differently, the rest should pretty much stay how it is. With that kind of weight, you're going to need the waistbelt and delta straps pretty tight to hold it up.

No matter what, carrying large amounts of weight isn't going to be comfortable. It's just a matter of how much misery you've got going on, and with Kifaru, it's at it's minimum.

supersixfour
04-24-2006, 09:51 PM
whats the minimum load weight for marauder setup?
i'm thinking at least 20 lbs or so?

SuperBadger
04-25-2006, 06:33 AM
I would say that 20 pounds would be pretty good, deffinetly not too heavy, but getting to the point where you can feel the adjustments that need to be made. While we're on the topic of adjustment, how do you guys decide how to tighten your shoulder strap points where they connect to the pack (with the 2'' webbing)

militarymoron
04-25-2006, 07:01 AM
hanzo - interesting - the way i always do it is snug up the shoulder straps to get the pack high up on the back first, before your 'step 2'. then bend forward slightly at the waist while doing 'step 2' and pulling forward on the waist belt powerpulls. at least that's the way mel showed me.

Hanzo
04-25-2006, 07:25 AM
MM,

Yeah, I do it KINDA like that. I usually put the shoulder straps on first just because otherwise it's almost impossible to get the waist strap on. I tighten up the shoulder straps all the way and then slowly loosen them to drop the pack down to the right level for the waistbelt.

PDX_DVX,

On mine, I've got those straps pretty loose. It keeps the straps from piling up behind my shoulders and puts the attachment point for the lifter straps up towards the top of my shoulders. Mine are fitted so that the pack is snug when the shoulder straps are cinched down almost all the way.

Patrick
04-25-2006, 01:59 PM
Gents--

As Mel has coached some of you on fitting Marauders he is going to come online here (from Hawaii!) and give you some tips. We talked by phone earlier. I reckon he's finding the "perfect" cyber cafe. Stand by....

Hanzo
04-25-2006, 02:22 PM
Now THATS service!

Mel
04-25-2006, 03:03 PM
Aloha guys! /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif . I'm taking a short break from the beach and my tan to give some input on this topic. Bill, I will say that 80lbs is pushing it for the Omni suspension. It will carry that weight no problem, just not as comfortable as the larger packs. First thing is to make sure you have the waistbelt tight around the hips, and not too high or low. Like Hanzo said, put the horizontal stitch line on the waistbelt right on the outer most hipbone. Another mistake commonly made is pulling the Delta straps too tight, especially the upper Delta. The heavier the load, the less snug you want the Deltas. Also, the torso length adjustment is critical for comfort. Some guys will buy used packs that were set up for a different sized guy, and not adjust the torso length. Bill, I will be back in the office on Friday the 28th. Give me a call when you get a chance at 866-308-1911, and I will get you squared away on the adjustments. Feel free to call day or night, as that number is a direct line to my house out here on the West coast. Later guys, the beach is calling me /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif .

Mel

supersixfour
04-25-2006, 07:29 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Hanzo:
Now THATS service! </div></div>seriously.

lmalterna
04-26-2006, 08:47 PM
Dang! Kifaru has a serious support system and I'm not talking about the Omni either!! LOL!! I suspected adjustments were going to be my shortcoming. I will try to get the pack out tommorrow and go over the excellent tips offered to straighten it out. My little girl enjoyed the ride on the pack &amp; I explained to her that was even used for injured soldiers- she dug that /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Thank you,
Bill