PDA

View Full Version : EMR vs. MMR?

drjoe
04-20-2006, 11:23 AM
I plan on getting a zulu with pockets for my short solo trip bag and quick BOB.
But I am expecting my first kid (a boy) and I am looking for a big bag to carry for three people for getting out of SW Florida Hurricaine situations, or family hiking trips in the future.

How small can the EMR compact for smaller loads?
Does anyone have the MMR and wish they had gotten the bigger bag?

Any advice or picture comparisons would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

Hanzo
04-20-2006, 12:11 PM
DrJoe,

First of all, welcome to the boards, you'll get lots of good info here.

Second...not trying to be a jerk, but do a search on these. I just did a search for "emr mmr" under military and narrowed it down to both of those terms being in the subject line of the thread and came up with about 10 threads.

Dan M
04-20-2006, 03:50 PM
This is a common question. Lots of discussion on multiple threads like Hanzo says. I have the EMR. It compresses down just fine for small trips. But if you don't see yourself stuffing out the snow collar and jamming a 4 season bag system in the bottom, you might like the MMR. It is still a big pack, especially with external pockets.

BrooklynBen
04-20-2006, 05:29 PM
My experience when my son came along was basically; "how can such a little thing possibly need so much stuff!! /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif )

EMR pardner. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

tim83
04-21-2006, 05:51 AM
drjoe:
I have an MMR and it really holds a TON of stuff, especially if you pack it properly. The EMR (I don't have one) has that snow collar to stuff out, but you'd be surprised by how well the MMR stuffs out, the shape of the top lid is such that you can actually just stack stuff on top of the pack when it's full and just cinch the top down, I've done this w/ my pro mask and a pair of cold weather boots. It kinda "grabs" whatever's underneath it. For kind of a three person (one of which is going to be quite tiny) BOB-plus, the MMR should suit your needs fine, especially since you won't need extensive cold-weather gear in florida hurrican season, probably just wet-weather, flashlight, some clothes, essentials and food...right? Any doubts, just throw a pocket or two in there, they're bigger than you think. Hope it helps

imported_rooster
04-21-2006, 09:39 AM
EMR. WHen in doubt go bigger.

drjoe
04-21-2006, 10:01 AM
It's an EMR for me and my boy on the way! A Zulu with pockets for the wife (and stuff to piggyback it to my EMR for when she gets tired).
Thanks everyone for your imput.
The MMR sounds great too, but like rooster said "when in doubt go bigger".

Thanks All!

Hanzo
04-21-2006, 10:10 AM
You're gonna piggy back a Maurader to an EMR? I want pictures of that! Can we say 'pack mule'?

Anyway, congrats. What colors did you get? Any extra pouches or anything?

Smackdaddyj
04-21-2006, 11:26 AM
Hanzo,

It sounds like he will be putting the Zulu on the back. I have piggybacked the Marauder and Scout to my EMR. It is big and heavy, but still carries as well as a large Ruck. I am sure he will do fine. Especially if that is what has to be done.

Drjoe, good luck.

Smackdaddyj

Hanzo
04-21-2006, 12:42 PM
Opps, my bad. Guess I should try paying attention, huh?