PDA

View Full Version : For prospective pointman buyers.

axisofignorance
04-18-2006, 12:22 PM
Most of this information will be elementary for those already with a kifaru but it might help someone trying to make up their mind.It is extremely hard to decide what to buy when you cant see it for yourself.The website has dimentions but its hard to visualize what a pack can carry based upon measurements.Having a pack large enough to carry all my crap was my largest concern when shopping.

I just got back from a geology field trip to Zion, bryce and the grand canyon.
Although we were base camping most of the time me and my trail buddy loaded up our entire setup for every hike to train for summer.Also there were alot of inexperienced out of shape people in our party so I figured Id need first aid , extra clothing and extra water.

Here is what I fit in my pointman.All Items with exception of the trekking poles were either stored within the pack or within an attached pocket.There were no items externally strapped to the pack.If I needed more room Id lash my tent to the side and that would leave me a ton of space.
http://www.blowfishpaintball.com/jack/pointman/IMG_0112.jpg

Here is a liter plus packed with a snow peak solo mess kit, 2 of the smaller 200 ml fuel cans ,giga power stove and eating utencil.The zipper is kind of hard to close over the mess kit but it will.If wanted to nest a nalgene bottle inside the solo kit you could put your stove inside the bottle and it would all fit.However you would have to find somewhere else to put your fuel, Although some of you might just use a campfire.
http://www.blowfishpaintball.com/jack/pointman/IMG_0113.jpg

Here I took some elastic cord and a cordlock to secure my hydration bladder from flopping around.
http://www.blowfishpaintball.com/jack/pointman/IMG_0116.jpg

And last here is the answer to a question I asked a long time ago that nobody could answer.Although it takes up a large portion of the main compartment a 250 solo bear canister will fit.
http://www.blowfishpaintball.com/jack/pointman/IMG_0117.jpg

Hopefully this will help those trying to decide what to buy the volume capabilities of a pointman.

Jack-

wolfmen
04-18-2006, 04:21 PM
great pictures.thank you axisofignorance.

How much is your maximum loads for the pointman and you still can carry it comfortable?

axisofignorance
04-18-2006, 05:52 PM
when Im backpacking I tend to go as light as possible.In fact my only rule breaker is my kifaru, which is quite heavy.Typically I wont bring all that stuff above.I was packing for others who were less experienced and adding weight to train for backpacking this summer.This is my first time using my pointman , my old pack was an arc teryx bora 40.Once I get all my fitting dialed in I will probably cut off extra straps.I have a 29 inch waist I wont be needing the extra 2 feet of nylon.I am also looking around for thinner aluminum for my stays.I am not in the military so I wont be carrying 100 pounds.Most light weight gear is fragile and my kifaru is tough enough to where I can throw it around and not screw up the gear in side.

But in short to answer your question my pack is usually under 30 pounds for a 3-4 day trip in summer weather.For this trip it was about 35 depending on the amount of water.Some places did not have water sources so I was filling up with near 4 liters.I wish I was tougher so I could lose some more weight but I just cant give up things like hot meals or koolaid.

I experimented with weights in my house and 50 pounds seems just fine with the pointman.Weight placement does make a big difference.If you put too much weight on say a backpouch with a light main compartment it pulls the pack away from your back putting more weight on your shoulders.
50 pounds is alot for a pack this small.Ive noticed people tend to exagerate pack weights.

Id look at what a pack weights compared to your own body to see what could be carried.Im only about 138 lbs so 50 pounds is liable to make me roll over.

Im sorry people for talking too much a week without the internet made me excited to come back.

AbnMedOps
04-18-2006, 07:29 PM
I recommend against cutting off the "extra" strap lengths. You would save very, very little weight. One day, you might have to extend the waist belt to fit over cold weather clothing, or lend it to buddy with size 44 pants. You never know what the future will bring.

axisofignorance
04-18-2006, 07:59 PM
I wouldnt cut off all the excess id leave a good amount to expand.There are alot of other places to clip excess as well not just the waist.Mt pointman looks like aa ghilly suit its got so much webbing hanging off it.Ive been modifying all my packs for years.although Ill definately be looking towards the future before I make any cuts.The ounces do add up though.Ill let everyone know my results once I change out the stays and make any other mods.If I can lose a half a pound Ill be very satisfied.Thats roughly 2 more days of food I can carry or one more luxury item.

panzertroop
04-19-2006, 07:29 AM
Military moron did a mod to a Kif pack by removing some of the Molle webbing that wasn't being used. I think he did it on a Marauder.

axisofignorance
04-19-2006, 01:39 PM
I need to invest in a good scale so I can log my weight loss.I think my best bet is swapping out the stays for thinner aluminum because if i dont like it I can always go back.

Thommo
04-20-2006, 03:15 AM
As a prospective Kifaru purchaser these are the type of articles that I am very interested in viewing. Well done, thankyou. I suggested on another post that I would like to see more articles with various load lists used for different durations and tasks. Noticed you appear to have a Garmen Fortrex 101, I got one last year and think it is an excellent piece of kit. Interesting (for me in Oz) to see items such as "Bear Proof" containers. Only things to worry about in the Oz bush are snakes (and lots of them).
I agree with the others that I would be very reluctant to cut of any straps etc.
Would love to see similar posts with pics.

axisofignorance
04-20-2006, 12:45 PM
Alot of parks here in CA require you to have a bear canister.They are a pain in the ass as they are big and heavy.Ive been stopped in the middle of nowhere by a ranger and she asked to see my bear can.

BrooklynBen
04-20-2006, 05:58 PM
Alot of parks here in CA require you to have a bear canister. Ive been stopped in the middle of nowhere by a ranger and she asked to see my bear can. [/QUOTE]

Geez. I was born a rare 4th generation native Californian and some people still ask me why I left!

I reserve the right to be eaten by a bear any damned place I want! /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

perrydog
04-22-2006, 07:32 PM
[QUOTE]

IanJ
05-02-2006, 04:31 AM
an answer to your question wolfman, i used a zulu and a maruader in afghanistan and consistantly used 60 lbs or more with both packs. if you have your suspension dialed in properly, your pack will be comfortable as my was always comfortable. over long distances (15+ miles), thats when the weight starts to get uncomfortable, but im sure that is the case regardless of whether you use a kifaru pack or not.