PDA

View Full Version : how to attach IBA to zulu?

kifarujunkie
04-12-2006, 01:20 PM
how would you attach a loaded IBA/OTV to a Zulu if you had to hump it over terrain that you didnt want to wear the armor but upon reaching destination put armor on? the IBA is pretty heavy with armor and plates so even though the "PODS" on this website look cool, i dont think it will hold all the weight. a second question, should the plates be taken out of the armor and put into the ruck to better balance the load then plates back into the armor when you need them?

nut_sak_himself
04-12-2006, 01:38 PM
some dude a while back cut the seams that seperate the external pockets into 3 sections, so it has 1 big pocket that wrapped around the whole bag. personally i think it's a bad idea cause i'm sure it's like that for a reason. i would say, imo, remove plates, put the iba/otv into a the smallest pod possible and and then stick the plates in the ruck or even in the outside pockets. OR, if you really want quick access to the iba, leave the plates in the iba and put it into a pod and use bungees to support it; i'm sure they are pretty heavy, but with propper support you shouldnt have a pod flopping all over the place, which is what you don't want afterall.

molsen
04-12-2006, 02:50 PM
Is this for military use? I would think that if it was for military use, that it would be pretty obvious what to do, and if it wasn't, then you should ask whoever's in charge of you. When I was in, if we had to use our armor, then we wore it whereever we went, even on the multiple 20+ mile humps. We didn't keep taking it on and off.

Dan M
04-12-2006, 03:53 PM
The Pod will hold the weight...but I am with Molsen. If you are where you need armor, the chain of command will make you wear it. If force protection measures don't require armor, that is what the S4 is for...order some trucks Captain!

Smackdaddyj
04-13-2006, 07:37 AM
My recommendation would be to use accessory straps with the D&L buckles. When I was in Afghanistan I used to fold it up and carry it on top of my ruck when working out for the extra weight. I kept the plates in and it still folded fairly well.

Hope this helps,
Smackdaddyj

murphquake
04-13-2006, 11:18 AM
could probably wrap it around the pack and use some slick clips or slotted buckles (D&L type) with webbing to just attach the sides of the front flaps to the back edges of the pals grid on the pack... then just run the existing verticle cinch straps on the pack over the OTV and tighten them up... basically like putting the vest around the barrel of the pack... if the pack is empty you should be able to fold the OTV fairly flat (try letting out the side adjustment straps all the way) and stuff it inside the pack.
-bill

Kerberos
04-17-2006, 08:20 AM
I was the guy who cut ut the seams for the thingy. and stuffed a ciras into it.
now afterwards it didn't work out the way i wanted it but still the ruck works just fine.

The iba isn't split the same way a ciras is so I doubt you could do it the way I tried with the "front" in the outerpocket and the "back" inside the pack.

Here's a pic of it anyhow.
http://www.operators.se/Lightfighter/zulu-ciras.jpg

But having cut those two seams apart(if you just cut the thread the fabric stays the same) I am now looking into sewing a 3-winged mag holder for m16mags to put into there. Or maybe a mp5 magholder. I'm toying around with the concept right now. will post pics when I've sewn it.

jlscnsdn
04-19-2006, 12:15 PM
There's a way to mod the IBA without rendering it unserviceable, and without causing permneant changes. We used to do it back in OIF II as a way of making it side entry\over the head. As follows:

Before you begin, you need to purchase one of the Molle\Fastex replacement buckle sets, as are sold for the pack at most PX's and Cash Sales. The relevant parts of the IBA are the four adjustable straps along the sides, and the two retention straps on the inside. Using a sharp knife, preferably X-acto or scalpel, cut the stitches that bind the retention straps on the inside of the vest on the front or rear; complete removal is not required, only separation from one side. Use the blade to cut the stitches that roll up the ends on the side adjustment straps, so that the end of the strap can be unrolled without damaging the strap itself. Attach the female end of the replacement buckles under the slide piece that remains on the rear poortion of the vest using the slit in the buckle piece. Slide the now loose strap ends through the male buckle pieces, roll up some of the end and tape off to prevent buckle escape. If you're willing to sew and want a larger buckle for easier indexing, its possible to attach the belt size buckles with a bit of jury rigging.

Disclaimer:
1. Make sure you can still put the vest on with the neck area now closed, especially with the neck guard attached if you may use it.

2. Make sure your chain of command and NCO Mafia will not dropkick you in the teeth for this.

3. Don't dick this up so you can't turn it back into the CIF, or you will be destroying government property. As long as you do it right, it can be sewn\glued back together and returned to the CIF in the same quality as it was issued, minus wear and tear. When I did this, they were more concerned with the rips\tears\stains\duct tape marks then they were a loose strap end, so keep this in mind.