PDA

View Full Version : Scout, what a great EDC!

ThePrepared_com
04-11-2006, 10:31 AM
I just received my Scout today and love it. It seems like it will be just the right size for a EDC bag. I keep a XL pull-out well stuffed with daily survival stuff. The stuffed pull-out fits perfectly sideways in the bottom of the Scout leaving all kinds of room for the other misc junk that I carry. I will post some pics tonight and further info in a few days after I've had a chance to play/carry it more.

Gizzmo
04-11-2006, 12:42 PM
Enjoy your Scout !

Coming up on 10 weeks now since my order. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif
They told me mine would be out of the shop last week. Maybe soon.

ThePrepared_com
04-11-2006, 12:50 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Gizzmo:
Enjoy your Scout !

Coming up on 10 weeks now since my order. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif
They told me mine would be out of the shop last week. Maybe soon. </div></div>No worries, I was also told last week but it went out yesterday. Do you have a note on your order to get a tracking number when it goes out?

ThePrepared_com
04-11-2006, 02:02 PM
I am finally home and can play a little more with my pack. There is one thing about the pack that is bothering me. It has nothing to do with the build quality or anything like that. This thing is built just as well as all my other Kifaru gear. Anyway, I feel goofy with this pack on. I'm a big guy (6'2" &amp; 230lbs) and it looks really small on me. Looks almost like one of those backpacks that all the highschool girls are carrying around. I really like the pack but I'm going to need to get used to the look of it. If I planned on using it for nothing but running around in the mountains etc I wouldnt care how it looks but I plan on carrying it absolutely everywhere with me (School, work, shopping, etc).

I absolutely love the pack though. Its has about the perfect volume.

Aimless
04-11-2006, 02:21 PM
I noticed with mine that when I use it without the belt, up higher, it tends to rock back on the curve of the frame, away from my back.

Works well with the belt, very stable.

We were out hiking Sunday and a couple of guys had small, hunting type belt packs similar in design and they were about the same size.

ThePrepared_com
04-11-2006, 02:28 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Aimless:
I noticed with mine that when I use it without the belt, up higher, it tends to rock back on the curve of the frame, away from my back.

Works well with the belt, very stable.

We were out hiking Sunday and a couple of guys had small, hunting type belt packs similar in design and they were about the same size. </div></div>I know exactly what you are talking about. I just dont want to wear the belt all the time. I'm probably just putting to much into it and its not that big of a deal. I'll have to see what the wife says? /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Mel
04-11-2006, 04:01 PM
Prepared: I believe I stated this in another thread, but the Scout really is a "lumbar pack" and not a "backpack". I have a lot of experience with the Scout, and it just isn't ideal when trying to use it as a backpack, with shoulder straps only. Sure, it can be done, and I see a few guys have posted that's how they use it, but the ergonomics are off when doing so. In backpack, shoulder strap only mode, I will take the E&amp;E any day over the Scout. On the flip side, use the Scout the way it was intended, as a lumbar pack, and it has no equal as far as comfort and ergonomics. These are my own thoughts on the subject, FWIW /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif . Feel free to give me a call sometime, and we can discuss this in more detail.

Mel

ThePrepared_com
04-12-2006, 05:27 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Mel:
Prepared: I believe I stated this in another thread, but the Scout really is a "lumbar pack" and not a "backpack". I have a lot of experience with the Scout, and it just isn't ideal when trying to use it as a backpack, with shoulder straps only. Sure, it can be done, and I see a few guys have posted that's how they use it, but the ergonomics are off when doing so. In backpack, shoulder strap only mode, I will take the E&amp;E any day over the Scout. On the flip side, use the Scout the way it was intended, as a lumbar pack, and it has no equal as far as comfort and ergonomics. These are my own thoughts on the subject, FWIW /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif . Feel free to give me a call sometime, and we can discuss this in more detail.

Mel </div></div>Mel, thanks for the response. I got everything that I expected in the pack. I just think it looks goofy on me /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif Nothing that you guys can do about that. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif It is an excellent pack though. When worn like it is supposed to be its extremely comfortable. Almost to the point of not really noticing that its there. The thin profile shoulder straps seem to just melt in make it very enjoyable to wear. Once again I'm certainly not dissapointed in the pack what so ever.

I do really like the fact that this a top loader. After the Marauder I was sold on panel loaders but you guys make a great top loader. The way its built makes accessing everything from up top very easy. Now I'm thinking Express /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

doctorrich
04-12-2006, 05:49 AM
PM me if you're thinking about getting rid of it.

Dibs.

ThePrepared_com
04-12-2006, 06:24 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by doctorrich:
PM me if you're thinking about getting rid of it.

Dibs. </div></div>Its a great pack and I'll most likely use it. Just not for its intended purpose /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

wolfmen
04-12-2006, 06:34 AM
"Anyway, I feel goofy with this pack on. I'm a big guy (6'2" &amp; 230lbs) and it looks really small on me. Looks almost like one of those backpacks that all the highschool girls are carrying around."

/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Just add 2 long pockets beside on your Scout, i think the problem will solve. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Scout and Express also in my coming 2nd &amp; 3rd order. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif