PDA

View Full Version : Need a rugged cellphone?

Tinkerbell
04-09-2006, 12:01 PM
If you're like me you expect alot from your gear, and cellphones don't always measure up... This little sucker, however, has gone through alot, water included!!! Check it out, if you have a SIM phone you can pick one up on ebay for around $130.00. You can pickup a GPS shell for it, or it already comes with a whole lot!!! It is the Nokia 5140 it will not disappoint!!!

Angelwings
04-10-2006, 01:13 AM
It's probably the same model that amazed me when a friend of mine while somewhat under the influence first sinked his Nokia in a pint of beer, then picked it up and used it to hit a 2 inch nail into a wooden table at the beer house we were in. He chugged it to the ceiling and let it drop to the floor after which he called me with it. It still worked and there were no visible marks of the abuse on it.

I wouldn't do it to my phone even if it was capable of handling all that but that little phone sure seemed robust to say the least.

supersixfour
04-10-2006, 05:20 AM
very interesting.
something to look into.

devonh
04-10-2006, 07:56 PM
http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_5140i-1150.php

Jasmine4
08-31-2006, 09:45 AM
I used an Nextel i305 for Emergency Services Work, not a lot of frills but one rugged phone. Just upgraded to a Nextel i580 and love it. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

Brotzie
09-02-2006, 02:46 PM
Yeah, I've got a 5140i. Love it. Apart from doing what you need (voice, text), it's got still & video imaging, including low-light, and the GPS option (although you need to be able to see a fair bit of sky because of the small antenna, and it gobbles battery) PLUS, out-the-box, a white LED flashlight AND a digital compass. And FM radio for when you've got some down-time. Doesn't do any of these things particularly brilliantly, but a very handy multiple backup for lots of your gear. Well worth checking out IMHO.

DeanJ
09-18-2006, 09:07 PM
Should also be noted that it is tri-band. I use mine everyday in California, but for $5 (new sim card) it worked great last summer in Thailad. The water-resistance didn't hurt any in all that humidity either.

maskirovka
09-22-2006, 11:16 AM
I've been doing a little poking around the net for a rugged Verizon compatible phone. No luck so far. I pretty rough on my phones, and they don't seem to make it through the contract period.

Brotzie
09-22-2006, 02:33 PM
Maskirovka - see mine above of 9/2. Honestly don't think any other (civ) handset would outlast the Nokia 5140i. Mine has been gratuitously abused daily for months, with no more protection than the Kifaru GPS pouch it usually lives in (when it's not just stuffed in a pocket full of keys/coins etc.) - thrown onto racks (treat my E&E no better than a basketball!), dropped, sat on, rained on, fallen on, you get the idea - and nary a scratch so far.

maskirovka
09-25-2006, 02:49 PM
Brotzie, unfortunately Verizon doesn't do GSM or anything else well advanced of paper cups and twine. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif Thanks though. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

TimW
09-25-2006, 04:29 PM
I have been contemplating something more rugged than my Blackberry 7100 for when I am out camping, etc.

Was wondering if it had bluetooth capability?

Also, where did you guys get yours? Seems all the sellers are UK-based, take paypal (and I don't have Paypal anymore).

Know anyone in the US selling these?

Brotzie
09-26-2006, 11:19 AM
Tim - sorry, no Bluetooth, does have IR etc. Full specs here (http://www.nokia.co.uk/nokia/0,,74188,00.html) . Just had a quick look at Nokia's U.S. website, seems is not offered for sale over there /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif so guess it's eBay and a new SIM card. Happy hunting!

All the best

Ian