PDA

View Full Version : PALS everywhere

FusilierDeMontagne
06-08-2003, 06:23 AM
Patrick, Mel & everybody else,

first, thank you everybody for all your excellent posts: it has been very enlightening reading all of you folks.

Second, I have discovered Kifaru through the mouth-watering /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif ads in SoF, have browsed extensively through the website & have devoured the magnificent pages of MilitaryMoron. Now I'm sold on the concept of PALS everywhere & I want my own Kifaru backpack! Which one is the question... probably a Pointman though.

Nonetheless, I have a few questions. If all those PALS are here to increase the modularity of the packs, why not put them also on the bottom?!? Or why not on the top of the Scout, Marauder & Navigator? Those seem obvious places to add stuff on the packs, even if only small stuff... (I understand full well why there aren't any PALS on the pockets: that would be too much. But on the top & bottom of the packs themselves?) /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif

Best regards,

Christoph Kohring

P.S.: A "fusilier de montagne" is French for a rifleman in the mountain infantry in the Swiss army (in German it's "Gebirgsfüsilier", in Italian it's "fusiliere di montagna"). And that's exacty what I am... /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif Swiss armed forces homepage (http://www.armee.ch)

FusilierDeMontagne
06-08-2003, 06:28 AM
Patrick & Mel,

is it possible to order, say, a Pointman with PALS added on the bottom? Just a thought... /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Christoph

FusilierDeMontagne
06-08-2003, 07:51 AM
I'm flabbergasted: the Lightfighter Raid pack has PALS webbing on the bottom!!! It can even be seen on the Kifaru "Dock & Lock" page... /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

The Raid pack on the "Dock & Lock" page (http://www.kifaru.net/MGD_L.htm)

The Raid pack on the Lightfighter website (http://www.lightfighter.com/item.jhtml?PRID=1297664)

Should I buy a Raid pack?!! :p

(Of course not, it doesn't seem to have any waistbelt.)

Flabbergasted in the Land of the Switzers, /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Christoph

Mel
06-08-2003, 12:52 PM
Christof:

First off, welcome to the message board, and thanks for all the kind words about our packs. The PALS concept is definately here to stay for awhile, and all the various gear makers have their own ideas on how to make the best use of PALS. When it comes to the tops of the packs, Kifaru is using PALS on the top lids of the Pointman, EMR, and MMR, which are all big enough to get a decent size pouch on (claymore type). We could have put PALS on top of the Scout, Mararuder, and Navigator, but decided against it because of the limited size pouches you could fit. We just don't feel you need a bunch of little pouches on the outside of a pack. On the issue of PALS on the bottom of the packs, we have discussed this at length in the shop and feel it is not needed. You really don't want a lot of bulk and/or weight on the bottom of your pack because the comfort level starts to degrade. It's a real hassle having gear slapping you in the ass all the time, and try sitting in that configuration with the pack on. If you must carry gear on the bottom, at least with compression straps, it's real easy to quickly remove the gear for situations that call for it. Not so easy with gear that is laced onto PALS webbing on the bottom of a pack.

Everything I've talked about in the above paragraph is just some of Kifaru's ideas on the use of PALS webbing on packs. Other companies may have different ideas, that they feel are viable, concerning PALS on packs. What it boils down to, is that it is up to the end users to decide which design philosophy is best suited to their needs. We at Kifaru are doing our best to hopefully meet those needs.

Mel