PDA

View Full Version : Best Rack System???

Tinkerbell
04-09-2006, 11:51 AM
Alright boys, I am looking for the best rack and configuration of attachments. I would like to keep it ACU so I can use it for contract/military work. Would like the option of being able to use it with or without armor. Thanks fellas...

Dan M
04-09-2006, 12:12 PM
I really like my TT MAV. Works well with and without armor. Plays real nice with Kifaru packs. What works for you really depends on what missions and roles you will be performing and what armament and munitions and other gear you need to have close at hand.

CavScout
04-09-2006, 03:49 PM
Tactical Tailor MAV all the way! Pretty much my whole battalion, if they bought their own gear, bought the TT Mav while we were in Iraq. Simple, rugged, but you can go anywhere with it. Their pockets and pouches are also the best I've seen; mine still look almost new after 12 months of hard use in the desert.

eggroll
04-09-2006, 04:22 PM
PPM patroller.

Tinkerbell
04-11-2006, 06:51 PM
I like the mav good price too. Any opinions about the front releasing one, as opposed to the full front? Also where can I take a look at the PPM? Thanks for the feedback fellas!

Lone Piper
04-11-2006, 07:06 PM
Which Mav do you guys like better, the one piece or the two piece? Been wanting to get one for a while now...

CavScout
04-11-2006, 09:24 PM
GET THE TWO-PIECE! The one peice (which I had in Iraq) just makes things difficult. You can't go prone, you can't relax the vest when you're sitting in a truck, it takes forever and a day to get on and off, you can't dump it in a hurry if you're trying to make yourself small or light...I could go on (sense the bitterness?) Most of my platoon bought the MAV two-piece with the X harness. I loved the one peice despite the above shortcomings, and the two-peice completely makes up for those shortcomings.

33S3 Lt
04-11-2006, 10:21 PM
Get the 2 piece with the center adapter. The center buckles go behind it and still give you the advantage of the 2 piece and not losing any real estate.

Tinkerbell
04-12-2006, 07:44 AM
Is the center adapter the x-harness???

CavScout
04-12-2006, 08:12 AM
The Center Adapter is a MOLLE-velcro hybrid that allows you to have MOLLE real-estate over the front buckles, thus making it look like a one-piece but still function as a two-piece.

Nathan C
04-12-2006, 01:15 PM
One more vote for MAVage. The X-harness just makes the weight seem to dissapear.

Tinkerbell
04-12-2006, 02:05 PM
Holy moses center adapter sounds like the bees knees!!! Will the x harness interfere with my pack? If not I think I'm going with the 2 piece, adapter kit, and x-harness.

Nathan C
04-12-2006, 02:32 PM
X-Harness goes on and off in about 2 min, minus sizing ajustments. Get it and at least it's there. Never had a problem with it and a pack.

eggroll
04-13-2006, 07:50 AM
it is a low enough profile that it will not provide much if any significant interference when worn with a pack.

Dan M
04-13-2006, 12:22 PM
I am on my seconf TT MAV 2 piece. I ahve the center adaptor and I like it. My second MAV I bought the X-Harness and I like it. You give up some flexibility in how it rides/slides, but it is more comfortable for long term wear, especially fully loaded. Below are some pics in all its ACU goodness. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif
http://homepage.mac.com/dmarkert/Kifaru/ACU_MAV2_01.jpg
http://homepage.mac.com/dmarkert/Kifaru/ACU_MAV2_02.jpg
http://homepage.mac.com/dmarkert/Kifaru/ACU_MAV2_03.jpg
http://homepage.mac.com/dmarkert/Kifaru/ACU_MAV2_04.jpg
http://homepage.mac.com/dmarkert/Kifaru/ACU_MAV2_05.jpg
Pouches are 3 x 3 mag, 2 x shingles (OD), 3 x small utility, 1 x large utility, 1 x medical pouch, 1 x 2 pistol mag, 1 x strobe pouch

Lone Piper
04-13-2006, 03:09 PM
Great Pics Dan!! I just ordered the two piece MAV with the X harness in ACU. Was wondering which pouches to get...thanks for the assist!

Tinkerbell
04-13-2006, 07:01 PM
Thanks alot for the pictures, sir. That rig looks great!!! Definately swayed me!!! Mav all the way... But, what hydration system is that?

Dan M
04-13-2006, 07:33 PM
Tactical Tailor - though I do not see it at their website. Strange. Only downside to MALICE mounted hydration on a vest is it does not play well with rucksacks.

murphquake
04-14-2006, 07:28 AM
Why must you taunt me Danm... errr Damn? Guess I'll issue a retraction on the request for the MAV layout in the other thread and then deny all knowledge...

http://www.tacticaltailor.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=154

This should link to the hydro carrier... go to the main page, click "Products", click "Hydration" and then click "Basic 3L".
-bill

Tinkerbell
04-14-2006, 06:07 PM
Any other suggestions for the hydratrion system? Something that will release quickly, for ruckin'.

Dan M
04-14-2006, 07:36 PM
If you like Tactical Tailor, this would be easy on-easy off . TT 3L Hydration (http://www.tacticaltailor.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=155) Or a Camelbak Thermobak or Viper. But then you have yet one more set of straps. Just depends what tade offs are more important.

Tinkerbell
04-15-2006, 08:38 AM
That looks pretty nice, but is there anything modular? Is it to much to hope for maybe dock & lock, or guick snap buckles?

Nathan C
04-17-2006, 08:21 AM
You could get any of the hydration holders covered in PALS and just buy some
buckles from supply captain. It wouldn't cinch down like dock&lock, but it
would be easy on and off.

Hey Dan, you use both buckles and velcro with the center peice? Or just
velcro? I rigged my with my OD center adapter the other day. Didn't really
like it. Think I'm going to stay split.

Oh and don't know when it happened, but congradulations on the promotion. Course that means you'll be a fobbit forever unless you resign your commission and come to the good side of the force
/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

I think you'd have to start as an E-5 though :p

Dan M
04-18-2006, 08:21 AM
Nathan C,
I use the buckles and velcro. After months of the split MAV, it took a little getting used to but I like it.

Promoted last August, and like getting older, moving up in the "O" world forces you to come to grips with the reailty that change is always forcinng on us. I know that I am not alone among officers who fantazise about shedding the responsibilities of our current rank and reverting to an E5 or E6. On nummerous occasions my friends and I have groaned..."oh, to be responsible for only a squad of 9!" But hey, you can't be 27 again, so we Soldier on, even if the future is a bunker of computer screens and radios.

Nathan C
04-18-2006, 02:17 PM
I went the opposite way. The stuck me in a TOC for the first couple years /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif Then the FDC tried stealing me from COLT because I knew AFATDS. The I had a 3 man team. Then for OIF III I was a gunner. Go figure every time I get promoted I get less responsibility, just me an the gun /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif And now as the youngest member of a training unit(Other than the LT), I am in charge of myself and that's it.

Hopefully when I transfer to CONG(Colorado NG genuis') I'll get a team back.

Hanzo
04-18-2006, 02:44 PM
Nathan,

Sounds like an interesting trend you've got going there. Keep up the good work and maybe they'll give you another stripe and have you cleaning the latrines. Someday you'll be a general in charge of trimming IPs.

P.S., no disrespect intended. I'm laughing with you, not at you.

Nathan C
04-18-2006, 04:24 PM
Hehe ya I already do all the bitch work. Been on the bottom of the totem pole for years. I'm done working on stripes, collecting rockers now.

Tinkerbell
04-18-2006, 07:04 PM
Off topic, but, yeah I thought about all those things before I took my commission. Thanks to my anality and big mouth I always got put in charge anyway so I figured I might as well get paid for it. Plus being an officer gives you the most ammo to fight for your troops with. Although not enough LT's use their rank for their soldiers. Not saying that LT's have alot pull, but hey you can damn well try!

Tinkerbell
04-18-2006, 07:04 PM
Off topic, but, yeah I thought about all those things before I took my commission. Thanks to my anality and big mouth I always got put in charge anyway so I figured I might as well get paid for it. Plus being an officer gives you the most ammo to fight for your troops with. Although not enough LT's use their rank for their soldiers. Not saying that LT's have alot of pull, but hey you can damn well try!

Nathan C
04-19-2006, 03:36 AM
I can still fight for my troops. "Sir your an idiot, we're doing it this way. Go pull radio watch." Since I never have to tell this to a good leader, the true idiots never try to pull rank. If they do for some reason there is always some high ranking officer way above them that loves FISTers and tells them to do it how we say /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Tinkerbell
04-19-2006, 07:23 AM
Of course you can and should fight for your troops as an NCO, I did when I was an NCO, I just think I personally could make more of a difference as an "O". And it's "Sir you're an idiot". /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif