PDA

View Full Version : Kifaru/Snugpak Airpak Jacket !!

Mel
04-07-2006, 08:47 PM
Hey guys, we now have the Kifaru/Snugpak Airpak jacket up on the website, and ready to order. We should have these in the shop in 3-4 weeks. From the Military Gear home page, you can go over to the left sidebar and click onto "Clothing", then click onto the jacket for a separate page with pics, features, and order cart. You can also just click onto this link:

http://kifaru.net/snugpak.htm

Mel

doctorrich
04-08-2006, 04:27 AM
Damn, that was fast. Thanks for finding new and interesting ways to part me from my money, fellas.

KOOTENAI
04-08-2006, 07:02 AM
Looks great. Is it noisy?

Patrick
04-08-2006, 07:09 AM
Hi Koot--

Noisy? Not so's you'd notice. I've hunted a LOT in mine. And I tend to dig around in the thick stuff. Tough enough for that sort of thing too...mine is surviving evidence of it.

KOOTENAI
04-08-2006, 07:55 AM
Patrick, PM or email me - lost your contact info. Have a bunch of WULF once-fired brass that I finally found! Yours if you want it. Jacket looks great!

Kevin B
04-08-2006, 08:57 AM
How does it stand up to repeated compression? I have a synth jacket that has dramatically "shrunk" from repeated stuff's and it's temp function is quite a bit lower than it used to be. Stuff away, stuff for travel and then open asap, don't stuff much if you want it to keep...? tx

Patrick
04-08-2006, 09:40 AM
Kevin, I've used mine for two years. It's been shoved tightly into one of my packs for a LOT during all that time. No noticeable compression, which speaks very well for that Swiss insulation. I can't say that I've ever really "stored" it "compressed" for long periods of time. I can say that it has ridden around "crammed" in the bottom of my pack under everything else for many months, all up. It's in my "man purse" pack right now...it's spring in the Rockies and anything can happen, weather-wise. Which is precisely why this jacket serves me so well. I yank that thing out and I'm covered for anything. Do it all the time. I wouldn't "store" ANY insulative garment or sleeping bag actually "compressed".

Dave R.
04-08-2006, 04:36 PM
Wow....you never cease to amaze us Patrick....A new Kifaru/snugpak!!!!! Too cool...dave

ThePrepared_com
04-08-2006, 09:00 PM
Looks great! Gotta gather some funds!

300wby
04-08-2006, 09:54 PM
I really dont get the benefit of a reversible shell?

rambler_wannabe
04-09-2006, 04:45 AM
camo for your terrain.

Dan M
04-09-2006, 12:19 PM
Looks sharp Patrick and Mel. One more piece of fine kit.

TimW
04-10-2006, 02:59 PM
I've had several Snugpak jackets for several years...they hold up great and even the lightest is almost too warm for all but the coldest of Arizona nights.

FYI, however, is that my OD Sleeka showed up a bright-white when viewed under NVGs. About 1/4 moon, I stuck my arm out to get something and saw a white sleeve.

I switched jackets with a friend and, yep, he looked like the StayPuffed Marshmallow Man.

Other than that, I have no complaints about the jacket at all.

freezeout
04-10-2006, 05:30 PM
Patrick, can you say how the sizing would be for those of us in the 6'4" to 6'6" range with 34 to 36 inch plus arms. I would love to have a new jacket, but not if the cuffs are mid forearm and that is usually the problem I run into with standard large/extra large jackets.
Thanks

Guy

andyboy
04-10-2006, 05:33 PM
I have a Snugpak jacket that I wear everyday up here. Pretty much the only suggestion for improvement I would make are to add a pass through zipper inside the pockets just as a way to compartmentalize them a bit.

Outstanding looking jacket there guys!

Buck W
04-10-2006, 07:28 PM
Ditto Guy's question.

6'4" probably wear an XL(44/45 chest) with 36.5" sleeves.

Buck

Casket 1
04-11-2006, 08:20 AM
I ordered one yesterday!

/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Gary

Patrick
04-11-2006, 09:56 AM
Guy/Buck--

I've queried Darren At Snugpack concerning your questions. Please stand by for response from across the Pond. My personal experience is that sleeves are plenty long on these jackets (which is another of the things I really like about them), but let's see what Snugpak has to say.

Buck W
04-11-2006, 03:57 PM
Thanks, Patrick. Standing by.

freezeout
04-11-2006, 06:43 PM
Patrick, thank you for asking

Guy

Patrick
04-13-2006, 08:28 AM
Guy/Buck--

After considerable discussion back and forth across the pond we can conclude that these jackets are indeed longet sleeved than any jackets we know about. But due to many "factors" of body type we just can't come to any definitive go/nogo "answer". So here's what I'm proposing: you guys proceed in ordering the jacket you think will get the job done. If it doesn't send it back for a full refund, including ALL shipping. Give us a report, so that we can advise other big guys as they come along. OK?

Buck W
04-13-2006, 08:37 AM
Patrick, thanks for your efforts! Your proposal is more than fair. Will do.

Buck

freezeout
04-14-2006, 05:44 PM
Patrick, again thank you for your efforts. As Buck stated, that is more than fair. Yearly bonus comes out 1st of May. I will place an order then.

Guy

Casket 1
04-21-2006, 11:42 AM
You guys get the jackets in yet?

Gary

BrooklynBen
04-22-2006, 05:10 PM
Patrick - now that's a deal! /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Ksnake
04-25-2006, 11:38 AM
Patrick, what size are you wearing in those photos?

Thanks

Patrick
04-25-2006, 01:54 PM
Casket, the jackets are not in yet, sorry.

Ksnake, that's a Large on me in the photos. I'm 5' 11", 165lbs.

Ksnake
04-25-2006, 03:00 PM
Thanks Patrick, I think that info, added with your above comments, will help me, and hopefully others who don't fit into the normal S/M/L template.

Casket 1
04-25-2006, 05:51 PM
Thanks for the update!

/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Gary

tim83
04-26-2006, 07:35 AM
How effective would this jacket be in the coldest part of fort drum winters? We're talking temps pushing -40 to -50 with wind chill. It probably wouldn't work standalone, I realize that, I'd need some layering. But what temp would be absolutely pushing the limits of this jacket?

Patrick
04-26-2006, 08:52 AM
tim83--

I consider it my exterior layer, period. In other words, layer under it appropriately and that's it. It is quite windproof. The hood will fit over hats and intermediate hoods, etc. And the thumb loops/long sleeves are perfect as a final barrier. I'd go one size larger if you're going to layer underneath for 40-50 below.

RangerReject
04-26-2006, 12:10 PM
Tim, what you need to realize, and I'm somewhat of an experienced individual up here in AK, is all clothing is subjective to the user. Same with sleeping bags. Physical characteristics as well as output greatly affect the ability for an article of clothing to protect the wearer in cold extremes. I've froze my ass off in Louisiana in May, and sweated profusly in Ft. Greely at -60. So take that for what its worth and realize that this jacket will protect you across a wide spectrum. If you get cold, put a hat on, or do some pushups. HTH.
RR.

Michael Aos
05-01-2006, 03:03 PM
Patrick / Mel -- can you give us a heads-up when the jackets are in?

I'm hoping to have mine for Memorial Day.

Mike

Patrick
05-01-2006, 05:25 PM
Michael, we sure will. We'll start shipping immediately too. You're an overnight down there in the Springs. Perhaps I'll give the lads at Snugpak an email...see what the status is. As you know if you've lived here in Colorado a while Memorial Day weather can be a blizzard! You'll need the jacket!

Michael Aos
05-02-2006, 10:13 AM
Yep, I've been here since 1993. We're going to be camping near Taylor Reservoir and yes we've been snowed on in that location for Memorial Day in the past.

Here's last year:

http://homepage.mac.com/michael_aos/.Pictures/Camping/IMG_4600.jpg
http://homepage.mac.com/michael_aos/.Pictures/Camping/IMG_4601.jpg
http://homepage.mac.com/michael_aos/.Pictures/Camping/Taylor-2%2005-28-05.jpg

Silver Surfer
05-03-2006, 07:55 AM
Greetings from the UK. pleased to confirm that Airpaks are on American soil ! should not be long now, customs permitting Darren, Snugpak.

Mel
05-03-2006, 10:53 AM
Hey Darren, welcome to the board! It was good talking to you this morning. Well guys, you got it direct from the man at Snugpak. I talked to Richard Lewis this morning, and he said they were in customs, and should be shipping out to the shop by weeks end. This should put the jackets in the shop at Kifaru by the end of next week. All orders will be shipped out the same day that they arrive at the shop.

Mel

MATCHGRADE
05-10-2006, 04:34 PM
I was wondering, is the tan color of the jacket the same color as the snugpack 'coyote' color, or is it different?

Mel
05-10-2006, 08:10 PM
The tan is different than the coyote. Actually, Snugpak calls the tan, "sand", and they offer a "coyote", which is darker.

Mel

mtnali
05-12-2006, 08:29 AM
Hello Everyone-
UPS just plopped a large package down in the shipping bay. It is the Airpaks! They are here! And mighty pretty also! So, if you have one of these guys on order- they will be on their way just as soon as I get off here...

Michael Aos
05-12-2006, 07:11 PM
Would have been nice for the Sporting Rifle Match (http://demigod.org/~zak/firearms/precision/) this weekend, but at least I'll have mine for Memorial Day.

Mike

Patrick
05-12-2006, 07:41 PM
Mike, this looks a bit like the old Keneyathlon format, which I shot at Whitington some years back. Very interesting. I might have to mosey down there sometime.

Michael Aos
05-14-2006, 08:13 PM
Some pics (http://demigod.org/~zak/DigiCam/SRM-2006.04/) from April.

Mike

Michael Aos
05-16-2006, 04:19 PM
Mine arrive today. Woo hoo!

:-)

Mike

Casket 1
05-17-2006, 09:16 PM
Mine came today.

Looks like great kit!

/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Gary

Buck W
05-20-2006, 12:11 PM
I promised to give a report for my fellow long armed folks.

I like this jacket a lot! However I'm going to pass because of sleeve length. I'm 6'4" 225, 44/45 chest and 36-36.5 sleeve.

Sleeves are OK with arms relaxed at sides, but using thumb holes puts pressure on the web of my hand. When I extend my arms forward the sleeves gap about 2-2.5" between the cuff and the bottom of my hand. When my son tried it (he's similar build, but trimmer) the first words out of his mouth were "Does this come in a tall?" I'm civilian now and do not require the subdued color immediately as some of you do. At this price, I do not want to "work around it" especially since I have to be careful of my hands in cold weather. Your mileage may vary.

I'd be glad to answer any questions, but my access to internet for the next few weeks will be intermittent at best.

Hope this helps.

Buck

BrooklynBen
05-20-2006, 05:25 PM
Buck, what size were you trying? (I'm larger and have a 37" sleeve)

Maybe if there are enough of us 'talls' around, it might make it worth while for them to be cut for us.

Michael Aos
05-23-2006, 07:58 AM
What would you say is the "correct" way to store it?

Rolled up in its sleeve?

Stuffed into the included stuffsack?

Rolled up into its sleeve and THEN stuffed into the stuffsack?

Just stuffed into a small POD?

Mike

Patrick
05-23-2006, 09:00 AM
Michael, I'd store it just hung up on a rack if you're talking about long term. It's not good for ANY insulation to compress it for weeks/months. For short term transport take your pick on the sleeve or the stuff sack. (I usually just poke the jacket, loose, into my pack somewhere near the top.) Incidentally, either of those methods turn the jacket into a dandy pillow! The small POD sounds good, if you don't have room in the pack. That's a good example of why we invented the PODS.

Buck W
05-26-2006, 10:35 PM
BB, I tried an XL. I think I'd find a XXL too tent like???

Buck

Michael Aos
05-28-2006, 04:59 PM
Sorry, no pics of me with the jacket, but it sure came in handy.

http://homepage.mac.com/michael_aos/.Pictures/Camping/Taylor%205-26-2006.jpg
http://homepage.mac.com/michael_aos/.Pictures/Camping/IMG_5679.jpg

destaccado
10-22-2006, 04:26 PM
Can the jacket be used without the "thumbole" loop or will the rest of your hand/arm not fit thru the other portion?

Mel
10-22-2006, 04:36 PM
Destaccado, you don't have to use the thumbholes. When not using the thumbholes, the sleeve ends are just like any other jacket.

Mel

Jan
02-20-2007, 11:33 PM
Hey,
I'm reviving this old thread to ask about Airpak sizing.
Thinking of getting one of those jackets with my next pack order. Anyway, I'm 5'9" tall, 32" waist and about 38" chest, weight at around 150lbs. Yeah yeah, I know, I'm a skinny little dude. I'd like to get you guys' input on this. Mel, you're also a small dude (no offense, lol), what are you wearing? Thanks, Jan

Mel
02-21-2007, 06:49 AM
Jan, I wear a large in the Airpak, and that's what I would suggest for you. The medium will fit me, but when I stretch out my arms, it feels a little snug under the arms.

Mel

MATCHGRADE
02-21-2007, 09:59 AM
Hey Jan! You turned me into an INFI addict. Thanks alot!
A FSH, HH, HOFSH, FBM, and FBM LE later Im wondering what the hell I need a knife for anyway. That being said the anaversery busse will be a SHSH modified! Anyway, about the airpack- Im 5'10"
about 155. I got a large and it was a little wide around the torso for me. The medium is better fit for me, and the sleeves are about just right. If you want to use it over insulating layers the medium should still work around the torso, but a large might be better for the fit in the armpits. I know, Mel wears a large and I wear a medium. He also smoked me at Battan, so go figgure.

Jan
02-21-2007, 06:00 PM
What can I say, INFI always found its way into my pockets as well. Recently though, I have also become a Strider man. Strider and Busse, two very different approaches, yet the execution is flawless and knife performance is excellent.
Someone explain to me the idea of the Airpak jacket, is it supposed to be an outer layer or one of the inner layers when things get really cold? For normal use, I'd wear one or two technical layers underneath, probably UnderArmor. These are fairly tight fitting and don't add too much bulk. That's why I was planning to go with a Medium. If I ever want to add a layer OVER the Airpak, like a smock or so, I wouldn't want it too baggy. Again, someone correct on the supposed role/use of the Airpak in layering. Mel only advocates the Large because he's such a fan of the baggy homeboy style look, that old Eminem wannabee /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif Mel, I'd really like to see some shots of you in your DropZone Recce Smock. Been itchin' for years to get me one of those. Anyway, thanks to all for the infos. Jan

Mel
02-21-2007, 09:28 PM
Jan, the big advantage of an Airpak is that it can be used as a mid layer, or an outer layer. My large can easily go over under layers, yet it is NOT too baggy under a smock. You're right, I do prefer baggier clothes, as I'm a born and bred California beach boy. Here's a pic of me at the bottom of the XTL page with my large Airpak on. You be the judge if it's too baggy or not.

http://kifaru.net/MG_XTL.htm

I know how you Europeans like tight speedos and such, so you just might like the medium LOL!

Mel

Jan
02-21-2007, 10:24 PM
Hehe, that reminds me, I still need to get me one of those Borat style speedos in Multicam /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif
Mel, I think I'm skinnier than you, so the medium might work. I'll try to get a hold of a jacket over here in Germany to try it on. That would be best!

Michael Aos
02-22-2007, 06:54 AM
My pet-peeve is sleeves that are too-long. I'm not a big fan of especially loose / oversize / baggy clothing.

I typically wear a Medium jacket, and the Medium SnugPak AirPak seems to fit me well.

I'm 5' 9", 165lbs. I think more of my height is in my legs though, with a shorter torso.

Mike

MATCHGRADE
02-22-2007, 09:43 AM
Hey Jan, PM sent

Jan
02-22-2007, 11:54 AM
Roger that, reply sent!

Jim T
02-27-2007, 08:31 PM
I would like to get one, but I am going to wait for a tall size. I have read too many posts about how they are too short for us tall folks.

I think Kifaru is missing out on a bunch of sales because of this.

Jim

Mel
02-27-2007, 10:35 PM
Jim T, unfortunately there will be no tall sizes. Snugpak does not make tall sizes in their jacket line. To make a special run like that for us, Snugpak would require a huge minimum order, and the numbers just aren't there to justify something like that.

Mel

Jan
03-08-2007, 01:10 AM
Mel, I surfed the forums a little bit and noticed what a fantastic gear model you are. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif
One question: could you post some pics of you wearing your Drop Zone Recce Smock, both with pack on and without? I'm primarily interested in overall fit on small people like ourselves and interference of all those pocket when wearing a pack. Thanks, Jan

Medic17
03-30-2007, 05:30 PM
I got mine at Christmass, its great for New England. The sizing follows North Face Jackets. It quickly became one of my favorites. My only complaint is the zipper. It tends to get stuck on the nylon backing wind block zipper guard. Once it does it takes about 2-3 min to get undone.