PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Northwest Rondy

Bushcraft
07-01-2008, 12:28 PM
<span style='font-size: 23pt'>Mark your calendars for July 24 - 27th!!!</span>

This fun backcountry rendezvous is a great way to put faces with names, catch up with old friends, make new friends, personally review some of the best gear and ideas available from a wide variety of manufacturers under real-world conditions, pick Patrick's and others' brains and obtain some ideas from others that might ultimately help make your hunting and fishing trips into the far reaches of the backcountry more enjoyable and more productive.

This is a family friendly outing and all are welcome and encouraged to join this casual gathering regardless of skill or experience level. There is no charge to attend and communal potluck offerings are welcome and appreciated...especially if they are in the form of carefully seasoned and expertly prepared yearling whitetail backstrap. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

In short, it's a truly outstanding way to enjoy a relaxing summertime weekend in the backcountry.

The rondy location is in the William O. Douglas wilderness area located west of Yakima, WA. The hike in is a relatively easy 6 miler. More info about this (and prior) rondy's can be found on the Kifaru boards under the Rendezvous forum, or you can PM or e-mail me for more information.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d11/ARE001/NW%20Rondy%202008/NWRondy2008RainyRhino.png

Note: I will only e-mail sign-up attendees the exact location and directions to the rondy.

The following disclaimer probably doesn't need to be mentioned to this crowd, but in this litigious day and age, I'm going to say it anyway.
<span style="color: #FF0000"><span style='font-size: 8pt'><u>Disclaimer</u>: I do not work for, nor am I employed by Kifaru. I am only helping to organize the outing. Traveling in Washington's backcountry can be extremely dangerous and can lead to serious injury or death. This backcountry rendezvous is only intended as a casual gathering of like-minded people that share similar interests in, or are interested in learning more about, matters relevant to backcountry hiking, hunting and fishing. There is no guarantee of aid or safety. All attendees must accept and judge for themselves the dangers posed by hiking and camping in a remote wilderness area. Each attendee accepts the risk and sole responsibility for his or her safety and the safety of those he or she affects. Please use all available resources to educate and prepare yourself for this particular hike as well as general wilderness safety and first aid.</span></span>

David in OR
07-01-2008, 01:35 PM
DANG IT!

I've been waiting for this opportunity to get to know some of you, but that Saturday my son has his mandatory range day for his hunter safety course.

Kevin B
07-01-2008, 01:41 PM
Unlike most years where I'm hedging down to the last week, I can say I'm IN. Thanks again Allen for doing the organizing.

Another item: VENISON EATERS

It's been my m.o. to bring from a little to a whole bunch of last year's hunting success. I don't want to bring more than will be eaten (no fridge out there), nor do I want to crowd out any number of treats others might have from their hunting success. I'm not sure what kind of count I have in steaks but because of their smallish size they end up getting shared anyhow. I'll have German, Italian and a personal concoction for sausages (think brat). I also have some barbecue roast, think pulled pork or sloppy does. If you have interest in any of it you can PM me or say so in your post here. Bring your own bun(s).

PS: this is a good thread to make gear requests if you want to see something Kifaru or otherwise.

snakey2
07-01-2008, 02:38 PM
That should be a blazing sun burning that poor rhino up!

idaho lad
07-01-2008, 02:54 PM
Agreed that if there are gear requests this is the time to put them in.

Myself, I'd like to see an 8 man or larger tipi. I'm curious about the 8-12 man sizes. I've got the small shelters covered already.

Some of the newer gear I have aquired is an Nikon 13-30x50 ED fieldscope and Carbon Vanguard monopod. Also I've gotten a Blackberry type phone and I have rifle ballistic data on this, and it's handy and cool to have it on you everyday tele.

Can't wait to get over and meet up with new folks and perhaps some I've met before.

scothill
07-01-2008, 02:55 PM
Kevin B, I have no doubt that whatever you bring will be eaten.

Bushcraft
07-01-2008, 03:26 PM
I think what KevinB is really saying is that he's not in good enough shape to pull a stunt like this again...

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d11/ARE001/NW%20Rondy%202007/DSC01926.jpg

...wussy.

Randy
07-01-2008, 03:42 PM
I'm in...count 3 for myself, Tracy and Mike this trip. If I really feel ambitious and the weather is not too hot, I may let the Beagles drag me up the trail:)

Tracy's talking about a big batch of rice crispy treats to sooth the sweet-tooth-prone among us. We'll also bring a bunch of veggies to stir-fry to augment the carnivore overloading:)

Kevin...whatever you decide on will be great. Seems there's no shortage of food at this shindig.

We'll be pulling in to Yakima late Thursday night and hitting the trail early Friday morning. See you guys in a few weeks.

SuperBadger
07-01-2008, 04:12 PM
I'll add buns to the packing list! Can't say that I have much to offer in terms of gear, but if anyone wants any camera/photo related info or gear handling, I could accommodate that.

TwoRavens
07-01-2008, 11:06 PM
I'm about 50% likely to go at this point.

I can bring my new AK47, but only so much ammo...:)

JBR
07-02-2008, 08:25 AM
I think Kevin B's picture should be the new photo for demonstrating the cargo chair's capabilities!!

- Cargo chair: $81
- 12-pack of Busche Ice beer: $13
- packing your favorite trail refreshment on the NW Rondy...

priceless.

Randy
07-02-2008, 08:26 AM
SuperBadger,

Some expert info on photos/equipment/backcountry care would be cool.

Other stuff that would be interesting to see or get input on:
Raingear options
Range Finders (anyone using/opinions?)

I'll be bringing a paratipi and can bring the stove if people want to see it set up (if not I'll most likely leave it home. I doubt the weather will warrant having it)

evanhill
07-02-2008, 09:30 AM
I'm in. For protein, I will plan on an exclusive diet of venison sausages (with maybe some fresh fish and crawdads thrown in). As such, and seeing as how I will be at the trailhead at the normal time this year, Kevin you can plan on loading a few pounds of meat into my pack (No, I don't plan to eat a few pounds of meat by myself). I'll bring a couple of packages of tortillas and sliced cheese to go along with, as that seemed to be a big hit last year.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That should be a blazing sun burning that poor rhino up! </div></div>

Snakey, I believe that Allen is trying to induce more favorable weather with his graphic. As we were tromping around out in the desert this morning scouting for mulies under an oppressive layer of heat and drift smoke, I was thinking how nice it would be if the Rondy this year was characterized by thunderstorms and unseasonably cold weather.

Bushcraft
07-02-2008, 09:43 AM
Here's a pic of the wash-out, which I imagine will be entirely managable come Rondy time for those wanting to use the alternative road/shortcut route. If a guy had a bicyle and was willing to do some very minor game-trail bushwacking, he'd be able to get back in to the camp in no time at all.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d11/ARE001/NW%20Rondy%202008/DSC03405.jpg

evanhill
07-02-2008, 09:56 AM
Allen, it looks to me like you could drive right across it in most (real) SUVs. Does the picture not do it justice? Are the banks extremely soft?

The biggest problem with this approach is that the Thursday night gathering is at least 60 miles away, right?

snakey2
07-02-2008, 10:05 AM
I'm taking the main road!!!!!!

scothill
07-02-2008, 10:07 AM
Heck why is everyone worried about Kevin B and the weight of the meat...we have Dolly and SuperBadger

I reckon everyone can guess what I will bring in the way of food to share.

Yup, you might have to move a couple of those logs, but other then that it certainly doesn't look any worse then some other stuff I have done.

Bushcraft
07-02-2008, 10:22 AM
Evan,

Problem/Opportunity...just depends on how you look at it.

The problem is that the road is closed about 1.5-2 miles before the washout (which is worse than it looks in terms of vehicle passability) making this route about .5-1 longer than the other. Plenty of room for parking and Thursday night banter. Perhaps a bit tricky for trailer turn-around, but doable.

Here's another picture of nature's handiwork in relation to my mate.
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d11/ARE001/NW%20Rondy%202008/DSC03406.jpg

The opportunity is that the alternate route, net-net, might actually be easier/faster, have fewer bugs, and cooler since it is in the shade for the most part. Water is readily available the entire route. The delta in distance to the trailhead vs. road closure sign in question is neglible.

If not for my pseudo-host/organizer non-responsibilities, I'd bomb in the alternate route.

Kevin B
07-02-2008, 11:03 AM
Not having done the bushwack, nor seen the alternate route area, I think I'm destined for the southern route. What time does the bushwhack express leave from the airport?

Scot, I'm not concerned about weight, only waste. Just trying to gauge how much meat to bring along without overshooting. I'm probably doing a paratipi and going a bit lighter overall. I'm not going to sleep alone in a 6 or 12 man. Weight to space-need is way out of whack.

JBR, let's be clear, it's my favorite refreshment variety. Glass being what it is, it was a painfully poor quality stand in. you bringing boys? Will you have your six man by then?

Bushcraft
07-02-2008, 12:26 PM
KevinB - The Bushwack Express will depart from SeaTac International as soon after 1:20PM as possible.

evanhill
07-02-2008, 02:47 PM
Same Same as last year good with me.

David Walter
07-02-2008, 03:05 PM
Allen,

We're camping in the are this weekend near Rimrock.

Up FS road 1308?

snakey2
07-02-2008, 03:09 PM
Are most camping at the (last years) trailhead campground? What night are you going to be there?

evanhill
07-02-2008, 03:11 PM
Yes, Thurs night. Up the trail early Friday AM. No hiking in the heat of the day if I can help it.

snakey2
07-02-2008, 03:54 PM
I may shoot for Thurs pm then.

SuperBadger
07-02-2008, 05:42 PM
I hope to be there Thursday night as well.

idaho lad
07-02-2008, 06:44 PM
this was deleted this was deleted this was

Bushcraft
07-02-2008, 08:53 PM
Please contact me directly for directions.

scothill
07-03-2008, 08:09 AM
I would like to see one of the kifaru wind vests

SuperBadger
07-03-2008, 08:29 AM
I would also like to see one of the hooded wind jackets, and maybe the insulated booties?

idaho lad
07-04-2008, 02:08 AM
Being this is the NW rondy, and since this is the land of Pearl Jam, I have an request. Could someone come up with the real lyrics to the following tune and perhaps bring an acoustic guitar along to play it.

I saw this and really had a good time with it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLd22ha_-VU&feature=related

JBR
07-08-2008, 03:21 PM
Kevin B - I'm not bringing the boys. They need a bit more hiking experience at shorter/easier distances and they still need a bit more gear as well so I don't end up with a 100 lb pack! Now, if I had pack goats....

I have the 6 man now. I have not had time to seam seal it, but I'll get that done soon. Probably leave the stove too, just for the weight, but we'll see.

I'm having some issues getting out of work at the moment. Mandatory duty on Saturday the 26th (Torchlight Parade or as we call it, Torchfight). I'm trying to arrange a replacement currently, as missing the Rondy in not an option.

Stay tuned...

idaho lad
07-09-2008, 03:48 PM
If anyone is interested in a compact spotter I can bring along a Nikon 13-30x50 fieldscope. They are light and they are pretty bright. One of the better optics I own.

snakey2
07-10-2008, 08:23 AM
I'd like to look through one. I've thought about upgrading my spotter since the one I have is dismal.

TwoRavens
07-11-2008, 10:50 AM
Same here.

Bushcraft
07-14-2008, 09:41 AM
Update...

We will be using an alternative route this year due to a washout on last year's trail. It is the same destination (ultimately), but this alternative multi-day rambling route will provide the group with a nicer all-around backcountry trip.

The plan, loosely structured, is as follows:

<u>THURSDAY the 24th</u> - Patrick and I will be arriving at the new trail-head early Thursday evening and will likely commence readying camp and doing a little pistol shooting. I plan on bringing a large cooler full of ice for those that would like to keep refreshments and foodstuffs cool.

<u>FRIDAY the 25th</u> - We'll walk or ride a recently closed Forest Service road approximately 4.5 miles and 353 feet elevation gain to Friday night's camp. Hereafter, this will be referred to as "The Pringles Guy Trail". There is plenty of room for all manner of shelters, fire-pits and so forth, fresh water (same stream as the one you crossed) and a FS outhouse. Those getting off work on Friday and wanting to make the walk or bicycle ride to this camp should have no difficulty whatsoever except for having to cross the washout shown above about about 2 miles from the road closure, which in and of itself isn't that big of a deal. The water level will more than likely be lower than shown here, which at the time was about knee height.

The road closure sign is a temporary sign and can be easily moved, or circumvented with motorcycle or atv, thereby allowing one to drive to the washout and ditch their gear before returning back to the TH to park the vehicle. Remember to bring a forest pass if parking with a couple hundred feet of the trailhead. Mind you, I'm not encouraging anyone to break the law (I've no idea what the fine/warning might be), but common sense dictates that the Guardian's of Dirt placed the road closure sign on the road 2 miles too soon. My conscience has zero problem with what I intend to do early Friday morning. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif This road can be navigated quite easily - save for the ditch crossing, with vehicle, mountain bike or foot all the way to Friday night's camp.

<u>SATURDAY the 26th</u> - Notionally, we'll pack up camp in the cool of the morning after breakfast and hike into the same lake destination as last year. This as yet unnamed trail, is a well-used shortcut that is approximately 2.5 miles with only approximately 1,180 vertical gain. Nice steady gain. There are two relatively minor water crossings.

The route is part trail (shy .5 mile with 100 ft. elevation gain), part semi-bushwack (1.25 miles with 1080 ft. elevation gain to the saddle), and part trail again with open meadow cruising (.75 of a mile or so). All of this route, which is an old packer's trail that is now heavily used by game, will be in the shade and comfortably cool much of the day. I've done this in under 45 minutes many, many times. If one would rather just loligag and ease their way up, there is a very good chance of seeing elk and perhaps black bear if the wind is right. I would consider this a woman, child and Pringles Guy friendly bushwack route. There will more than likely be some blowdown to navigate or cut-out for those bringing stock. Definitely ease down from the saddle before the meadows as there is a strong chance of seeing the nursery herd of elk that calls this basin home during the summer. Invariably, several bulls will hang out in the area as well. Bring your fishing tackle as the fishing can be quite good in terms of quantity. If you are lucky, EdC will share his secret for catching the larger brookies that call these lakes home.

<u>SUNDAY the 27th</u> - Depart whenever.

Feel free to send me an e-mail for more specific directions.

Again, ALL are welcome and are wholeheartedly encouraged to attend. Bring your friends too!

scothill
07-14-2008, 11:54 AM
Where is the wilderness line? Aka how far in is it legal to take bikes? Just to the friday camp or part way to the Saturday camp?

scothill
07-14-2008, 11:56 AM
FYI... Goatboy the Pringles Guy did a training hike last weekend that consisted of 6 miles with 1k foot of gain and then loss in just over 3 hrs with a full backpacking load. I will post shortly on this topic

Bushcraft
07-14-2008, 12:09 PM
So, do you think your membership at Curves is beginning to pay off?

scothill
07-14-2008, 12:24 PM
Having been in more then one Curves as a part of work I think they are a freaking joke, but yeah working with a trainer is paying off big time. See my thread in the medical forum.

Bushcraft
07-14-2008, 12:30 PM
Legal to take bikes on road into the Friday night camp.

Hitting the door for Hood River now. Will sign on later tonight to answer more questions.

TwoRavens
07-14-2008, 12:33 PM
Anybody want to carpool from Portland?

Where can I get a permit from for WA? I got one online last time, but it did not show up until a week after I was back...

evanhill
07-14-2008, 12:50 PM
Northwest forest pass covers OR and WA

Buck W
07-14-2008, 12:55 PM
..and available at REI. Unless it's a Wilderness Permit we need ??

Portland carpool possible, if my back gets squared away in time. Also Snakey and Super Badger would be coming through Portland.

idaho lad
07-14-2008, 02:02 PM
Is this true? You have to have a permit for national forest usage and travel?

We don't have that here yet.

TwoRavens
07-14-2008, 02:14 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Buck W</div><div class="ubbcode-body">... if my back gets squared away in time. </div></div>

We could always sling you between two of Buschcraft's new goats.

evanhill
07-14-2008, 02:25 PM
The northwest forest pass is a $35 annual permit for parking at developed areas such as trailhead parking lots and day use areas. The common denominator among sites that charge seems to be an outhouse. Otherwise, these places charge a $5 daily fee. The pass is not required for the use of undeveloped areas throughout the forest.

The legality of the FS charging additional for use of these developed areas is questionable, and many people choose to protest in a variety of ways. For one thing, I don't think that the FS writes anything but warnings requesting you to buy one rather than actual tickets. So you can just not buy one and throw away the warnings when you get them.

Personally, I don't mind throwing a few ducats in the local kitty to cover my generous use of outhouses throughout the year.

Bushcraft
07-14-2008, 02:54 PM
Rest stop logon while en route.

Evan has it right...mostly. If you park some distance away from the trailhead, you'll not get ticket. I don't recall off hand what the exact required distance. If you do park at the trailhead parking lot (improved area) and the Gaurdian Of Dirt is PMSing, you might very well get a ticket. We only had one pass between the two of us and Christina got dinged once for $45 during a trip when I'd been in already for several days.

David Walter
07-14-2008, 09:14 PM
I was up there two weekends ago with the Huntress and the kids(4th of July weekend) and they were on patrol everywhere I went with ticket books.

I mean everywhere...from Packwood to the indian creek trail head

Ed C
07-15-2008, 03:44 PM
/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif Sorry to say I'll not be attending......

Bushcraft
07-15-2008, 03:46 PM
What the devil?!?!? /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shocked.gif

snakey2
07-16-2008, 07:55 AM
Say it ain't so Ed. Miss Dolly misses us so much.

evanhill
07-16-2008, 08:17 AM
This is just "contrary Ed"'s sick idea of a joke.

snakey2
07-16-2008, 10:39 AM
Terrible!!!

snakey2
07-16-2008, 10:44 AM
Bushcraft PM sent re: directions.

idaho lad
07-17-2008, 12:19 PM
Bushcraft,

Could you pm me directions to the LOCATION? I'll be heading from Wallace Idaho on Interstate-90. I assume I'll head to Yakima and then proceed to the designated location.

Thanks in advance.

scothill
07-17-2008, 02:06 PM
yeah Bushcraft what is our new road/trailhead?

Quit playing with your goats and hooks us with some information. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Bushcraft
07-17-2008, 02:30 PM
I'll get this info out tonight or tomorrow.

Please send me an e-mail or PM if you are planning to attend.

Bushcraft
07-21-2008, 06:07 AM
By my rough count, we've approximately 25-30 people that are going to attend this upcoming weekend's backcountry jaunt.

If you have not already done so...please send me an e-mail ASAP if you are planning on attending. Also, please indicate the number of attendees in your party.

Directions are starting to go out now.

SuperBadger
07-23-2008, 07:11 PM
Might be a dumb question, but what are the fire rules for the area we'll be in?

Also, I have never done any fishing to speak of, and I would really like to learn the ins and outs if anyone's got a free second at the Rondy

Bushcraft
07-23-2008, 08:03 PM
No problemo on both accounts.

See you there!

JBR
07-23-2008, 08:16 PM
I can't believe it, but I'm actually going to miss the Rondy. I cannot get out of work this year, despite all of my last minute fanagaling and now one of my new favorite getaways is down the tubes for me this year. Not much more I can say.

Have fun without me (sniff, sniff), take lots of photos to make me jealous and catch lots of great fish. You will all be in my thoughts this weekend while my new 6 man tipi and I are busy sulking. This sucks.

Kevin B
07-23-2008, 08:41 PM
Bummer big time Jim. I'm rushing around the joint now finding last minute items. Next year, and we'll bring kids too.

SuperBadger
07-23-2008, 08:59 PM
I'm also rushing around. Can't wait for tomorrow!

Randy
07-24-2008, 06:31 AM
The bags are packed, the beagles are primed, the rice krispy treats are in a huge bag on Tracy's pack, stir-fry veggies to accompany the venison are frozen hard and ready to go...we're getting ready to roll out of here once the chores are done.

We'll see you guys soon!