PDA

View Full Version : JetBoil Group Cooking System: 1.5L pot

murphquake
04-05-2006, 02:39 PM
Guys,
Was doing a TV stunt standby for "Law and Order" down on Bleeker and Mott Streets in Manhattan (2 blocks West of CBGB) and went to the Eastern Mountain Sports store upon completion and bought the 1.5L JetBoil pot which combines with the PCS stove and Pot Support & Stabilizer set to make the new GCS set. Took it home and played with it a little and so far I'm liking it. I haven't cooked anything in it yet but plan on making something in it shortly just as practice... Looking at the big claymore pouch from supplycaptain as a pouch or something... I really can see these things as a viable stove for small units to become more self sufficient with the right layout... all it needs now is a coyote or foliage cozy (and maybe colored plastic covers on both ends...
-bill

Olive Drab
04-05-2006, 03:27 PM
What are they running $$ ?
I love my jetboil. I made soup with the cup last week and it took probably around 2 minutes. Pay attention to the fill line as that water became violent when it boiled.

murphquake
04-05-2006, 03:46 PM
The large group pot is 50 bucks or so and you need the pot support for it, which I already had, picked up some more fuel as well... I wrote JB last week about doing a better color for the mil types or at least a plain black cozy for the group pot... the orange does look nice though, think I'm going to replace the camo cozy on the one they gave me at SHOT last year with a bright color one to stop all the 'is that army stuff?' questions. The pot seems well made and should do it's job well. It's pretty darn light, though I'm sure plenty of folks will chime in with a list of lighter cheaper alternatives. I like that I can pack the stove system in it completly with a little room for food... Nice new toy, should serve well to make food for 2-4 people at a time when combined with a PCS cup or two...

I cooked lunch almost every day for about a month and a half with my PCS and feel pretty proficient with it... My fuel knob is rather tight to first start but then goes smoothly, i usually start it out at a medium heat then turn it up full, keeping an eye on the contents, then turn it down real low as it starts to simmer and kill it completely once i reach a full boil... takes a little longer but better than wasting and making a mess with boil overs... lipton rice/pasta sides, ramen in various forms and idahoan instant mashed in the pouch that takes 2 cups of water and nothing else to make are all easy and quick, and taste good. Definitely will have to do a jetboil/camping stove feast at the hypothetical NY meet up
-bill

Forest522
04-05-2006, 07:02 PM
The jetboil is a great stove kit for those who want boiled water - fast and efficient. You'll want two 'cups' if you are a gourmet type or you like to have a full pot of coffee and oatmeal. The french press is one of the best I have ever used. Better, I think, than my Starbucks glass one.
One issue. Well two actually. First kit, the welds of the fluxring separated from the cup. This happened as I was removing the plastic bottom storage piece - 'measuring cup.' REI replaced it - no problem.

The second kit...the white sleeve of the piezoelectric ignitor cracked and subsequently crumbled. It was only used three times. Very strange. Again, REI (with reciept) replaced it.

Probably just bad luck, I have not heard of any other problems like these. Otherwise, a great kit. I use it as my primary cookset, an MSR pocket rocket is stashed just in case bad luck pops up again...uses the same fuel canisters. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Olive Drab
04-05-2006, 07:46 PM
I remember the first time I fired up the jetboil. It was getting a cutting bunson burner started. click, whoompf! I love this thing I just need the pot/cannister support kit and well a decent pot.

6.5x284
04-05-2006, 07:52 PM
Guys at what elevation or temperatures are these things effective? Is there a limit to it? I have no experience with stoves at low temps or elevations and am looking to complete my gear ........are these the answer? All input is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

BrooklynBen
04-05-2006, 10:35 PM
For some reason I get a metallic taste from the aluminum cup. I may be somehow sensitive to it for some reason. Do any of you get this "taste" from your cups as well?

I may try it a couple of times more, but if it doesn't change for me, I will be selling the whole kit.

murphquake
04-06-2006, 03:16 AM
Ben,
Maybe a reaction from something you cooked or cleaned it with? never noticed anything myself.
-bill

SuperBadger
04-06-2006, 05:15 AM
I have never noticed any taste from my cup, how many times have you used yours? Maybe try giving it a good scrub with some baking soda or something? I gave mine a good wash when I first got it and then didn't notice anything after that. Are the cups titanium or aluminum?

Ralph
04-06-2006, 06:46 AM
I was under the impression the JetBoil cup was anodized inside and out, this should eliminate any taste. I agree that a scrub with baking soda would help. In fact, cleaning water bottles and cookware with baking soda every so often is a good idea.

Mark
04-06-2006, 07:14 AM
6.5X284

I have used mine at 9800 feet at about 19 degrees with no issues. I was on a Boy Scout backpacking trip and there were four of us that had jet boils. They all worked great. One guy had a small issue when he tried to use a bottle that was almost completely empty but when he screwed on a new one, he was good to go.

BrooklynBen
04-07-2006, 11:19 AM
Thanks guys, I'll try the baking soda. Good idea.

I actually made my first cup at the Roundy trying to make some coffee - turned out absolutely retched. Patrick was too much of a gentleman to spit out his first mouthful! /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

I've tried it a half a dozen more times (at the most) and each time I've washed it and the taste comes back (but maybe a little less).

I'll try a thorough scrubbing with the powder. If that doesn't take care of the problem, I think I'll just give my Jet Boil a "powder" of it's own. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Dave R.
04-07-2006, 12:22 PM
Ben....I cook in an ancient army canteen over cup....It does taste weird when I drink from it..I carry it, a large lidded plastic cup, a Back Packer's pot holder, and a plastic fork and spoon....that's it.....I can go many days with just that.

fireballxl5
05-20-2006, 06:48 AM
Murph,

You seem to be a JetBoil fan, can you tell me if you think you could use the large pot and heat exchanger on a regular household hiking stove, eg an MSR Dragonfly?

Thanks

murphquake
05-23-2006, 05:50 AM
Fireball,
Sure am, they gave it to me free! My loyalty comes cheap. The large pot will fit anywhere that you can sit it, the "flux ring" sits outside the pot support on the jetboil, so anything with straight tines should work. I don't have a dragonfly per-se but I'd think it would work. Next time I sneak over to EMS I'll see if I can try it. BTW, an XL Pull-Out will house both the GCS and PCS together snugly.
-bill

John Hollister
06-04-2006, 07:28 PM
I used a buddies PCS last week. Gotta get me one of these for Hurricane Duty

fireballxl5
06-06-2006, 01:27 AM
Murph:

With due respect and without casting any aspersions about your person, your loyalty comment reminds me of what they (whoever they are) say about politicians - "a good politican is one that stays bought".
/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Thanks for the GCS info.

The Jetboil PCS intruiged me, but the size just didn't do it for me.

Just being ablet to buy a GCS pot and use it with my Dragonfly really appeals.

Cheers.