PDA

View Full Version : Pointman top zipper blowouts?

Adrian
04-05-2006, 06:54 AM
I'm waffling between grabbing a Zulu and a Pointman; the bottom access zipper and upgraded suspension of the Pointman are tempting, but I'm wary of the lack of compression straps on the top zippered lid. Has anyone had any problems with theirs?

cheers,

iyaoyas467
04-05-2006, 07:00 AM
I've been using the hell out of mine and I haven't had any problems with the zippers. The Pointman (like all of Kifaru's gear) is built like a brick ****house.

bolt_308
04-05-2006, 11:42 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by iyaoyas467:
I've been using the hell out of mine and I haven't had any problems with the zippers. The Pointman (like all of Kifaru's gear) is built like a brick ****house. </div></div>+1

No problems here with any zippers on my Pointman (or EMR or E&amp;E). You would have to really abuse that top lid to get it to blow out, like try to catch incoming mortars with it.

Any doubts you have will become distant memories once you get your hands on a Kifaru pack.

Hanzo
04-05-2006, 12:52 PM
Try to catch incoming mortars...wow.

Creativity, good visual and something that I could easily see a couple of bored LCpl's actually trying...I give it three thumbs up.

iyaoyas467
04-06-2006, 10:20 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Hanzo:

Creativity, good visual and something that I could easily see a couple of bored LCpl's actually trying...I give it three thumbs up. </div></div>HAHAHAHA LMAO /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif , boy that is no lie....

PHfactor
04-08-2006, 08:09 PM
I've had my pointman as well as two LP's attached.And stuffed to the MAX.That set-up went from Utah to Alaska getting packed,unpacked,tossed,shoved,etc.and I have no seperation of the zips or stiching

bolt_308
04-11-2006, 07:12 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Hanzo:
Try to catch incoming mortars...wow.

Creativity, good visual and something that I could easily see a couple of bored LCpl's actually trying...I give it three thumbs up. </div></div>:D

Well, that is what bored LCpl's do.

I figured I'd put it in terms you guys could relate to.

Oh, and any plankowners of the E-3 Mafia reading this, quit doing stupid **** and act like a damn United States Marine. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif

Um, yeah, so the Pointman rocks, the Zulu rocks. Pick the one that best suits the mission &amp; don't sweat the zippers, they won't fail before you do.

Semper Fi bros

Ralph
04-11-2006, 07:24 PM
Kifaru uses #10 continuous coil zippers for their packs, the largest made. I use them, too, and while I have never torture-tested them seriously doubt you can ever stuff a pack tight enough to blow out the zippers.

FWIW: most makers use the #5 zippers as standard. These will blow out under heavy load so don't confuse experience with other makes of packs with Kifaru's.

Hanzo
04-11-2006, 07:32 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">they won't fail before you do.
</div></div>An excellent point. The reason I bought Kifaru is that I knew that it would outlast me. I haven't come across much gear that I can say that about. I have zero doubt that I could use my Kifaru pack all day everyday until I'm pushin' up daisies and it'll do its part.