PDA

View Full Version : Marauder / Zulu / Pointman?

bmstrong
04-05-2006, 06:20 AM
I'm trying to decide between a Marauder / Zulu / Pointman. All are similar size / price. I intend to use it as an "all purpose" pack.

Any words of wisdom?

militarymoron
04-05-2006, 06:45 AM
yes, yes and yes /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Hanzo
04-05-2006, 07:43 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> yes, yes and yes </div></div>The man's got a point.

BiggerStick47
04-05-2006, 07:50 AM
I had the same criteria. An all purpose pack. I chose the Zulu because of it's ability to sinch down fairly small, but also expand to the size of a Pointman. The Marauder was out because I don't care for panel loaders.

Hanzo
04-05-2006, 07:58 AM
If I was going to get one of those 3 (and believe me, I've considered it) I would go with the Zulu. I like that you can either cinch it down VERY small or extend the snow collar and make it a lot larger. I'm also not a huge fan of panel loaders. I like that they make organizing very easy, but they tend not to hold quite as much.

doctorrich
04-05-2006, 08:55 AM
I got the Marauder and a Pointman with side pouches and an E&amp;E.

The Marauder is a good 24-36 hour pack for me, and I can expand the Pointman with pouches and strappage to keep me comfy for longer than that. If it's something that the Pointman is too small for, I'd jump to an EMR/MMR.

Hanzo
04-05-2006, 09:16 AM
Don't forget about the ZXR. That's an awesome pack. If I thought my ankle could handle the weight, I'd pick one of those up quick, fast and in a hurry.

militarymoron
04-05-2006, 09:20 AM
all kidding aside, 'all purpose' is too broad of a term as it can cover everything from E&amp;E size to an EMR. so, if you want only ONE pack that will suit any need you might have, that will be dictated by the largest/maximum load you'll need to carry.
you can either go with the smallest size pack by itself that will accomodate that load (for weight savings), or take a modular approach and pick the smallest pack combined with two side pockets, a back pouch or E&amp;E and maybe a pod that will accomodate that maximum load.
if you rarely need the pack for the max load, i'd pick the modular approach which will give you a a smaller pack which you won't have to cinch down as much and will be more practical for what you use if for most often.