PDA

View Full Version : Combat Gunbearer and Mystery Ranch NICE frame

Kurt Rued
04-03-2006, 08:13 AM
I have a universal gun-bearer for other packs and really like it. Just recently aquired a Mystery Ranch NICE frame system and ordered the COMBAT gun bearer, as it looks as though the webbing on the belt will function the same as on the Kifaru packs. What about the top attachment? Will this work correctly on other packs? I also ordered the stash it pocket and the holster adapter, assuming the attaching webbing on the M.R. NICE belt is standard in dimensions with the Kifaru belt webbing.

Can anybody confirm my assumpsions here that this stuff will fit?

Patrick
04-03-2006, 12:22 PM
Hello Kurt, and welcome.

The bottom basket of the regular Kifaru Combat Gunbearer will work on any belt with PALS webbing in two regulation rows. However, the top latch is probably going to be an "issue" on that NICE shoulder strap. The NICE strap has only one three-bar slider--the one that captures each end of the sternum strap. Our Kifaru set-up has two--one for the sternum strap, and another one for the upper latch of our Gunbearer system, the latter being below the sternum one. The reason for this Gunbearer-only one is two-fold: first, it is built of steel, not Delrin. This is for absolute integrity in the event your rifle gets yanked for any reason; it won't break. Secondly, this will allow you to adjust the angle of your barrel tilt without compromising the location of your sternum strap. You get the optimum use from both.

So. You could possibly install the upper latch of the Gunbearer thru the bars of that NICE three-bar that contains it's sternum strap, if you can get underneath the webbing that comes back across (I'm looking at Cass's photo now). It will be tight, but perhaps it can be done. You will lose that optimum use of both the sternum strap and the Gunbearer though, as mentioned above. Perhaps you would be best served to use the Universal Gunbearer you already own.

Hope this all makes sense. If not, come on back. Again, welcome to our Board.

Kurt Rued
04-03-2006, 12:59 PM
Hello Patrick. Thank you for taking the time to get back to me. I phoned earlier and switched my order to have the Combat lower, with universal upper. Would it be possible (and a better route)to purchase one of the steel sliders used on the Kifaru packs? I plan to keep my existing gunbearer and would like to own two of them. It's a great invention and most people that see it, end up purchasing one.

Thanks again for your time.

militarymoron
04-03-2006, 03:31 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Patrick:
So. You could possibly install the upper latch of the Gunbearer thru the bars of that NICE three-bar that contains it's sternum strap, if you can get underneath the webbing that comes back across (I'm looking at Cass's photo now). It will be tight, but perhaps it can be done. </div></div>patrick's right on the money, of course. i got home and tried it, and wasn't able to get the combat bearer upper tab (that goes through the metal bar slider) all the way through the plastic slider on the NICE frame sternum strap. it'll go through one bar, but not the second one, and can be pulled out.
cheers,
MM

Patrick
04-03-2006, 04:41 PM
Kurt, you are quite welcome.

Unfortunately, our steel three-bar slider will be impossible to mount, unaltered, onto your already-built NICE shoulder strap unless you dismantle the shoulder strap, and then re-sew it to the same high standards Mystery Ranch is justifiably known for. It's possible to cut a slot in the middle of the slider, which will indeed allow you mount it, but that's a compromise, integrity-wise too, as it weakens the slider in it's middle section. Still, that WILL work, if you want to fetch a steel slider and give it a go.

MM--I wasn't sure, but I thought the Delrin slider on the NICE would be a bit too wide, top-to-bottom, to allow a fit. Thanks for checking that out.

Ralph
04-03-2006, 05:33 PM
One thing that might work is to get a metal slider, run a loop of webbing thru and sew the loop onto the strap at the right location. This would allow threading the gunbearer strap properly and would be a lot easier than dismantling the shoulder strap. It could be sewn on by hand using a sailmaker's palm and needle if a commercial machine is not available.

Kurt Rued
04-03-2006, 07:21 PM
Thanks for all the help folks. After getting home and looking at the pack, I realized what Patrick mentions, would have to alter the strap. However, since I live in Bozeman I might be able to get some M.R. assistance. They've been very good with special help like that. I will likely call and try to snag one of those steel sliders to see if I can do it. I may have them sew on some webbing so I can put more Kifaru goodies on the thing. Patrick, you should really relocate to Bozeman with Kifaru.

Thanks again for the response and assistance.

Patrick
04-04-2006, 07:47 AM
Kurt, I'm not leaving Golden! I'm all wired in on my "spots"...hunting, backpacking, skiing...you name it. Doesn't really get any better than around here.

But tell brother Dana hello for me.