PDA

View Full Version : Stay problem (Help)

wolfmen
03-31-2006, 03:52 PM
Last week i ordered a EMR, but i am not really sure which type of back profile, coz some of friend said i am "flat" type (buttless) ; some said i am "normal" type.it confused me.

And i am a fat guy,it's not easy to see which type i am.
I tried stand in front of mirror, it also hard to know it. I look like between "flat" and "normal". I know most people (95%) are normal back profile, but i worry that i am rest of 5% people.

Now i am posting my another backpack stay compare with link of "Bent into Shape "
(If you guys don't mind a fatty photo, i also can post my picture :p )
My stay
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j222/wolfmen07/bb89.jpg

http://www.kifaru.net/images/guy_profile.jpg

Folks, any idea which type I am?
Or have any idea how can i know it?

Actually, Amanda already explained to me very detail about the fitting problem(Really thank you for her help,really helpful and patience). I also totally trust kifaru's skill and experience, but i just afraid that i gave inaccurate information to them.
i had very bad experience from my last backpack because the fitting problem. It hurt my lumbar and the back.

Please help. you know this backpack is not cheap, so i want get a most fit backpack for my life.

Thank you guys

militarymoron
03-31-2006, 08:39 PM
post of side profile pic of yourself so we can see, or wait until you get your pack, try it out to see how it fits, then bend the stays to fit your back. i bend all mine - i'm neither 'flat' nor 'normal' - i need more curvature in my stays so i tweak them myself.

Caligula
03-31-2006, 09:07 PM
Hi ,

I have shaped some 2,000 internal frames both of my own and other manufacture.

I would suggest it is extremely difficult to do by yourself - as a close look at how a rucksack sits under load is essential .....and that requires neck movement found in Avian species ( amidst a few others!)

I do realise that the design of the frame ( i.e. parallel supports , X-frame , T frame or box frame ...requires slightly different procedures.

Also a frame for a women is bent considerably differently from a man.
Back length to take into account the supported area from yoke to hip-belt is generally measured from C7 to L3-4 , however , aligning a support such as a rucksack frame needs to account for supporting musculature or the morphic structure of the pack wearer.

Most people do not give a 'Continental Stuff' and put undue strain and wear on their spine especially on T9-T11 and L4 to S1. This wear and eventual herniation is accelerated with loads consistently over 25 Kilograms.

It is better , then to obtain the services of someone who has shaped frames before.

Regards................Caligula

fireballxl5
03-31-2006, 10:19 PM
Caligula:

I already have herniated discs L3/L4,L4/L5,L5/S1.

Do you have any advice that might be useful and cut my learning curve?

Caligula
03-31-2006, 11:51 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Do you have any advice that might be useful and cut my learning curve? </div></div>Hi Mate ,
Sorry to hear of your lesions. Surely you still do not carry a pack ?
The bracing and binding to subdue the pain would take a lot of time.

Maybe you could tell me more ?

Regards..................Caligula

fireballxl5
04-01-2006, 03:42 AM
Caligula:
Thanks for your response.
Not sure what to tell.

I got broken about 15 years ago, discetomy at L5/S1 after about 18 months. Continued going bush for a while after op but in a more vehicle orienteed way and generally limited then to short (overnight) walks and day jaunts away from vehicle or standing camps.

Then I got jack of it all and completley gave up carrying a pack with a self sufficient bush sized load.

Until this point all gear was military issue/designed for mil use, ie not as ergonmic or lightweight as possible.

Big problem is, no surpise, lower back pain and sciatica,agravated by narrow cavity for spinal cord + lesions. But both have receded a bit over the years, with flareups in proportion to hardness of head.

Last year,I hired a modern-ish civvy pack for a couple of days out and found things seemed to been better. So I am about to try a better (Kif) pack and a lighter, less bullet proof, more ergonmic gear strategy and see if I can do better.

Never used a brace/strapping before.

Body shape is round (out of shape) and tallish (185cm/6 foot).

When in better condition:
- I've been told by a doc my spine is a bit flat compared to average, in terms of curvature, but not in terms of butt.
- I maintain a servicable butt, even when in better shape.
- Told by my old troop Sgt that hips were "broad and girly" (in a most sensitve way, of course :-) ), so wider hips than average for a bloke.
- Shoulders probably average heading to broadish, reasonably square (ie not overly sloped).
- horrid protruding belly.

I don't expect miracles, but if you do have some suggestions, then I'd be appreciative.

FB

wolfmen
04-01-2006, 08:30 AM
I know these photo are quite scary, but maybe this can help me find out the answer. So i will try.

It look like hipless

I don't post large photo, if want to see large photo, Please go here

Yes, it's not easy to bend by myself. I have no idea how to do it. I afraid it will get worse after i bend the stay.

fireballxl5
I am so sorry to hear of your lesions too. I hope you ok. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Nathan C
04-01-2006, 09:34 AM
Looks curved to me, just no ass /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif The general rule is you should be able to stand up against a wall flat and your hand should fit tightly through your lumbar region. If it goes through easy, you have some lordosis, if it doesn't go through at all, then it may be flat. Most chiro's do a free assessment, go see one to know for sure.

Mel
04-03-2006, 09:22 AM
Hey Wolfmen, you want the flat profile for your pack. Contact the shop and let them know, so your EMR will come with the stays set up for a flat profile.

Mel

imported_Scott Cunningham
04-03-2006, 11:08 AM
Put the pack on and lay on your stomach. Have your wife jump up and down on you, or hit you with a shovel. That should make it fit.

Thats my suggestion at least.....