PDA

View Full Version : Pack Junkie from down under

Thommo
03-24-2006, 07:36 PM
All of these years I have been ridiculed and teased by many of my peers for being obsessed in modifying my packs, endlessly setting up various survival kits/packs, pullouts and foldups/rollups for all occaisions, changing pockets and pouches and bastardising all manner of suspension/straps and waistbelts. I think I have found the holy grail of websites/forums. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif I am not alone anymore.

I have just ordered a catalogue but just looking at all the gear available on the website is causing me serious levels of stress and anxiety (you guys would know what I mean).

I have searched most topics posted and found out there are a few pitfalls trying to get stuff down under here in Australia. If anyone can give me recent advise about breaking up shipments to avoid unessasary customs payments etc please advise.

Also what is the best option to go with in regards to keeping insync with all my AUSCAM gear although now that I am no longer ARMY I am thinking going Coyote Brown for all?

Well I have earmarked about a $US1k worth of goodies which would probably be about $AUS2k by the time it is on my back. Just have to find out how to budget enough money and convince the "Broom Jockey" this gear is a necessity.

Although I am no longer either Regular or Reserve Army, I am heavily involved in working with Operation Flinders a Youth at Risk project based on wilderness therapy intervention and having my gear set up for all contingencies and situations is more critical than any military applications. Chasing after runners and less than compliant youths. At least I dont have a RSM/CSM telling me what gear I can and can't use.

Will be later in the year before I commit to spending the dollars and want to do all my homework before. Any help/advice or guys in similar situations all replies welcomed.

If anyone interested and I can work out how to get pics posted (I'm not overly Komputa Litter8)I have numerous survival setups/bits and pieces and some interesting combos of Australian Army AUSPACK gear that has worked for me. Although I cant wait to adapt Zifaru gear which looks a lot more user friendly.

Pack Junkie
Thommo /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

gronk
03-24-2006, 08:46 PM
Hi Thommo, here's some light reading
http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=4376 (Australian Customs regulations)
When I got my MMR in, the cutoff price was A$500, so I got the pouches separately, and paid duty on the pack itself. Now the threshold is A$1000, so you've got more leeway. I've got a mate bringing in a pack soonish (not soon enough for him!), so he'll probably be able to tell you how he got on.
Good luck, these packs are worth it. Wish I'd had the MMR instead of the issue pack...
G

fireballxl5
03-24-2006, 08:50 PM
Hey there Digger, welcome.
Where in Adelaide are you from?

There's at least two Adelaideans here that I know of, I'm in Mile End and one in Dover Gardens.

Which unit were you in when you were in the Army?

Re the customs, because of the Free Trade Agreement, if your package of products made in the US not just bought there (eg Kifaru), then if you get it in $1000AUD lots you pay not duty GST etc.

If it is oveer $1000AUD, you pay duty, and then you pay GST on the item(s), the duty and the postage.
:-(

Not sure about non US manufactureed stuff or exactly what duty you get if your package is over $1000AUD, though I suspect it is 5-10% (I did find out but have forgotten, - I just try to make sure my packages are less than $1000AUD).

Also if you receive several packages FROM the same address in a short period of time (which is not defined on the website) then they can combine the values for duty assessment.

Check out:
http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=5342
http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=4267

Your picked a bad time to find Kifaru - it looks like the Aussie Peso is taking a bit of a dive right now.

Still it is best to order as soon as you are able as Kif appear to be quite busy at the moment.

I can assure you from my mate's gear and the part of my order that I have received the gear is top line.
The best military packs I have seen since the Wilderness Equipment SAS MK VI.

gronk
03-24-2006, 08:51 PM
OK, now we see how talented I am with this html'ish stuff...
anyway, the url is something like
http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=4376
G

Hanzo
03-24-2006, 08:57 PM
Oh, and if you really really want Auscam, you can get it. You just need to send them the fabric and your wait will probably bit a bit longer than usual. But...it IS an option.

doctorrich
03-25-2006, 08:28 AM
Hey, Digger

I'm voting for Coyote Brown, myself.

However, the DPDU desert pattern is awfully sweet... if you were able to get some cordura in that style, I think the stuff would be like gold.

Gany
03-25-2006, 08:40 AM
Thommo, I am the lucky and very happy new owner of Copper's (forum garage sale) Zulu in OD. You wont be disappointed with this gear!! I love it. Thanks Copper!!

I daresay coyote or multicam would make the best base for auscam since the base of the pattern is a light olive (DPCU) or light tan (DPDU). I owe a few people some photos (gronk/fireballxl5) so I will try and get some on here soon showing Auscam pouches on OD Zulu.

Like Hanzo said, if you really wanted auscam, kifaru will make you one if you supply the cordura. I have a few auscam cordura sources if you decide to head down that path. PM me for details.

Olive Drab
03-25-2006, 09:23 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Thommo:
All of these years I have been ridiculed and teased by many of my peers for being obsessed in modifying my packs, endlessly setting up various survival kits/packs, pullouts and foldups/rollups for all occaisions, changing pockets and pouches and bastardising all manner of suspension/straps and waistbelts. I think I have found the holy grail of websites/forums. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif I am not alone anymore.

I have just ordered a catalogue but just looking at all the gear available on the website is causing me serious levels of stress and anxiety (you guys would know what I mean).

I have searched most topics posted and found out there are a few pitfalls trying to get stuff down under here in Australia. If anyone can give me recent advise about breaking up shipments to avoid unessasary customs payments etc please advise.

Also what is the best option to go with in regards to keeping insync with all my AUSCAM gear although now that I am no longer ARMY I am thinking going Coyote Brown for all?

Well I have earmarked about a $US1k worth of goodies which would probably be about $AUS2k by the time it is on my back. Just have to find out how to budget enough money and convince the "Broom Jockey" this gear is a necessity.

Although I am no longer either Regular or Reserve Army, I am heavily involved in working with Operation Flinders a Youth at Risk project based on wilderness therapy intervention and having my gear set up for all contingencies and situations is more critical than any military applications. Chasing after runners and less than compliant youths. At least I dont have a RSM/CSM telling me what gear I can and can't use.

Will be later in the year before I commit to spending the dollars and want to do all my homework before. Any help/advice or guys in similar situations all replies welcomed.

If anyone interested and I can work out how to get pics posted (I'm not overly Komputa Litter8)I have numerous survival setups/bits and pieces and some interesting combos of Australian Army AUSPACK gear that has worked for me. Although I cant wait to adapt Zifaru gear which looks a lot more user friendly.

Pack Junkie
Thommo /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif </div></div>Thommo,
By any chance have you ever worked/lived in Perth?

03-25-2006, 11:38 AM
Hello Thommo!!

Auscam goes well with Multicam. Done a few orders with Kitbag.
Almost all my gear is MC but poncho and trap...opps I meant hoochie...are Auscam.
Welcome to the Kif club of crazies.

Res.

nut_sak_himself
03-25-2006, 02:52 PM
auscam kifaru would look really amazing, but my philosophy is main gear (packs/vests) should be in either od or cb, and camo prints are for clothing. but if you REALLY want to dissapear then you can get pockets in a camo print. personally, i think that a complete pack cover in a print would be even more effective because it would break up your outline even more, which is what would give you away even more than clashing gear/environmental colors.

fireballxl5
03-25-2006, 07:00 PM
BTW if you aren't in the green machine anymore and you want to consider something other than DPCU, I have some Kif gear (and am awaiting the arrival of some more) in MultiCam and it doesn't look quite the same as it does in photos - there are a lot ogf subtle blends and tones in it.

I'd suggest that MC would probably work well in SA, as it is fairly light in tone.
Though I muist admit I have not taken minbe out yet - still waiting for the main course to arrive.

Gany
03-25-2006, 07:37 PM
Ok, I put some of my modular pouches on the OD Zulu and took some pics. Its not too bad. I think I will make myself an auscam lid to go on the Zulu and that will definately be GTG.

Ignore the pouch setup, it was just to demo the cam pattern on OD. Pouches shown include: SORD Utility large x2, Platatac minimi pouch, Platatac accessory large, issued Etool &amp; cover, home rolled E&amp;E and top pouch.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y289/Gany/Kifaru/Zulu/zulu_auscam5.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y289/Gany/Kifaru/Zulu/zulu_auscam4.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y289/Gany/Kifaru/Zulu/zulu_auscam2.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y289/Gany/Kifaru/Zulu/zulu_auscam1.jpg

Also included is a comparison of Auscam on various base colours to try and get a better idea when making pack colour decision. Coyote Brown (498?) and Desert Tan corduras are from KLINE423 on ebay. Im not sure if the Kifaru Coyote is the same brown or not, but its the dark chocolate 'nutria' brown like the original SADF M83 vests. Photo colours always look different on the computer. The Olive Drab is a Kifaru cargo chair, and the Multicam is the cotton fabric blend and not actually cordura but u get an idea.

Multicam works well IMO.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y289/Gany/Misc/auscbmcdtod.jpg

Hope this helps and good luck with the choice!

Gany.

Thommo
03-25-2006, 08:19 PM
Thanks for all the feedback guys, certainly gives me some food for thought.

No I haven't been a "Sandgroper" sorry.

Will keep checking in for future info/ideas.

Very Impressed with some of the owner painted setups. Hmmmm! more ideas.

Good to see the AUSCAM pics Gany, thanks (I have never been overly impressed with most of the locally produced pouches/packs although quality of material and stitching if fine, local manufactures just don't seem to go that little bit extra like Kifaru with small details)

Think my biggest problem will be getting "Mrs Thommo" to let me do some serious spending. Don't think I will have the funds to purchase for my next trek so will be keeping checked in to keep up with all the news/new products/mods and ideas.

Intend to drop some of U guys in Oz an email.

Will keep checking in
Thommo /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif