PDA

View Full Version : Multicam or OD in GA?

BiggerStick47
03-24-2006, 12:37 PM
Guys, I apologize up front for making my first post a "help me". I am about to order a Pointman and am lost as to which color to order. I really like MC but feel that the tan webbing makes the pattern appear too brown/tan. I am hunting in Georgia, mainly in pine forests and grassy fields. I thought about OD webbing on MC but it seems too dark to blend with the pattern. Does the tan webbing really make it too brown? Anyone have a pack in MC with OD webbing? Should I just go with OD?
I searched before asking these questions, and didn't find the answers I needed. If you know of any relevant threads, please post a link.

Gizzmo
03-24-2006, 12:59 PM
Although not a hunting pack. My EMR is in Coyote Brown. I think OD really stands out here in winter when all the leaves have dropped. Especially when you are in a hardwood bottom.
I don't feel out of place with it in Spring or Summer with full folliage on the trees.
I use a Eagle AIII in OD also. I just don't like the way it blends in late fall/winter.
I've been thinking about a Pointman or Zulu in Multicam and CB trim.

Mark
03-24-2006, 01:06 PM
My packs are all in Coyote Brown and all of the pockets are in MC. This works great because the pockets cover most of the pack anyway. New Mexico has many shades of brown so CB works out really well for me even without the pockets. You have a lot more breen I am sure. Also, I use my Marauder as an EDC bag and the CB is better for me to take to work.

straps
03-24-2006, 01:08 PM
OD webbing darkens the pack considerably.

There's a guy on EBay who sells Tactical Tailor pouches with OD webbing and finishing and they look FAR too dark IMHO. The advantage with having Coyote webbing over Multicam is that the Coyote doesn't "break" the Multicam as badly as does OD, which is darker than the darkest color in the Multicam pattern.

I can't claim to nkow squat about hunting 4-legged or winged critters, but is Multicam even considered a viable hunting pattern?

BiggerStick47
03-24-2006, 01:11 PM
Does Kifaru offer CB webbing, or is the tan in the pictures what you guys are refering to? As far as MC being a viable hunting pattern, if it conceals, it works.

Aimless
03-24-2006, 03:19 PM
That ended up a little larger than I thought-oops

http://i1.tinypic.com/s4yibo.jpg

Anyway the webbing isn't that noticeable at a distance.

Here's the same pack

http://i1.tinypic.com/s4ylua.jpg

Ken
03-24-2006, 04:14 PM
I'm real interested in trying out MC for hunting purposes...

BiggerStick47
03-24-2006, 04:53 PM
Great pics Aimless! So, anyone have a pic of a Pointman in MC?

Aimless
03-24-2006, 05:05 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Ken:
I'm real interested in trying out MC for hunting purposes... </div></div>I had a multicam Eagle pack in the tree below me last fall and the white seemed very noticeable, but maybe that is only because it was so close.

frozenground
03-24-2006, 09:52 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by BiggerStick47:
Great pics Aimless! So, anyone have a pic of a Pointman in MC? </div></div>Here's a few with long pockets attached /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

http://www.munroedesign.com/hosted/images/gearpron/mcpointman_1-15-06_1.jpg

http://www.munroedesign.com/hosted/images/gearpron/mcpointman_1-15-06_2.jpg

http://www.munroedesign.com/hosted/images/gearpron/mcpointman_1-15-06_3.jpg

straps
03-24-2006, 11:42 PM
Great shots frozenground...

Is that an Arc'Teryx jacket you're sportin?

BiggerStick47
03-25-2006, 05:17 AM
Great pics frozenground. That helped me make my decision. MC it is.

03-25-2006, 05:51 AM
I live in Southern Ont. Canada and its a very GREEN area. However, this past year or 2 I have paid attention to how my environment looks color wise during all the seasons. In reality its more BROWN most of the time, even when spring kicks in and during the height of summer when there is alot of green > the ground area still has alot of brown to blend with.
I'm starting to realize how effective Multi-cam is. IMO the best solid color for blending in with nature is Khaki (green tinged brown). Given that MC is very smart. I used to think it wasn't green enough until I discovered that too much OD green DOESN'T blend in most areas, even when its a very green area. Again, tree trunks are generally brown as well as many grassy areas.
This realization started to become obvious when I realized that AUSCAM worked much better in Canada's fall than most other popular camo's inc. OD or CB. Given that MC was the obvious choice.
Also, I travel around the world for work and always have some Kifaru and Crye gear with me. The globe is more brownish than it is greenish imo.
Many seem to label MC as a jack of all trades/master of none but I'm not so sure thats the case. Its not ideal for EVERYTHING but it works very well in most areas and it IS ideal in many areas.

I question MC all the time because of my perspective to it. Up close I think this stands out or that doesn't blend but just about all camo's have that effect with the possible exception of some Ghille suits, but that is very specific. At a reasonable distance MC works very well in most areas.

Res.

imported_Scott Cunningham
03-25-2006, 08:09 AM
I have used both. OD is great in VERY green areas, but MC is better almost everywhere else. It is a lot more effective that I had first imagined.

03-25-2006, 08:28 AM
I agree with Scott, when its REALLY GREEN OD is great. That is why I purchase some small pouches in OD instead of CB (because most CB or Khaki pouches out there are more TAN and are too light imo) when they are not available in camo...the Maxpedition cacoon for example. I just dab them with Khaki spray paint and it works out.

A couple things that work well in my area:
I change the zipper pulls on MC gear to OD and I change out most of the side release buckles to Supply Captain's Foliage Green. Because my area can be pretty green during some of the year this helps 'pull' the shade of the MC pack slightly toward the green direction. It seems to help and I think it keeps it from looking too brownish.

Res.

frozenground
03-25-2006, 09:21 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by straps:

Is that an Arc'Teryx jacket you're sportin? </div></div>Hi straps, that is my husband in those photos /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif Yes it is an Arcteryx jacket, but I forget which one. Sidewinder maybe? I think the multicam stuff blends well even in the snow!

imported_Scott Cunningham
03-25-2006, 10:54 AM
If the strap color really bothers you, then go to a model store and get some paint. I did a few. They came out OK. Main improvement to my Kifaru stuff was replacing all the Kifaru black hardware with tan stuff from Supply Captain (I think Kif stuff is same color now) and painting the black zipper and cloth around it tan.

03-25-2006, 03:23 PM
Just went for a walk with my 11yr old son in the forest. He has his own MC E&amp;E and Scout. (bought him his own Brunton 54 compass, Benchmade Ritter RSK1 folder and water filter this past week, he's pretty stoked about it. Little bugger is getting pretty decked out).
At one point he was about 25-30 meters in front of me and his pack blended in very well. He had an OD jacket on and I could see it clearly. Its very brown out there right now but we have done the same when its very green. MC is amazing how it 'adapts' to different environments/seasons.
Short of an OD or CB pack with camo pockets I think MC is a great choice for seasonal changes.

Res.

03-25-2006, 03:27 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by straps:

Is that an Arc'Teryx jacket you're sportin? </div></div>Wish Arc'Teryx would drop their silly LEAF program and sell their MC stuff to civilians.

Res.

straps
03-26-2006, 03:38 PM
For your consideration, through the magic of Photoshop...

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c279/norgeboy/scout_sidebyside.jpg

03-26-2006, 04:10 PM
Great pic straps!
I like em both however the Kifaru OD Green webbing is a fair bit darker in person and doesn't match up well with MC imo.

Res.

Aimless
03-26-2006, 05:04 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Resistor:

Is that an Arc'Teryx jacket you're sportin? </div></div>Wish Arc'Teryx would drop their silly LEAF program and sell their MC stuff to civilians.

Res. </div></div>Are they restricting sales? I never did find any multi cam stuff even though they have a link to Crye.

Ice tactical has a goretex jacket that's multi-cam and available to mere peasants.

Crye apparently will not ship to Canada, stupidest thing I ever heard. :rolleyes:

ianq
03-26-2006, 07:31 PM
I was debating the same thing since once I buy my pack I will use it for hunting also. I've been looking around and here in AZ where I hunt and in NM where our land is, I think MC would be the best choice for me

03-26-2006, 07:57 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Aimless:
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Resistor:

Res. </div></div>Are they restricting sales? I never did find any multi cam stuff even though they have a link to Crye.

Ice tactical has a goretex jacket that's multi-cam and available to mere peasants.

Crye apparently will not ship to Canada, stupidest thing I ever heard. :rolleyes: </div></div>Called Arc'Teryx awhile ago and it was a no go.

Its not that Crye has a problem with selling to Canadians, its using a Canadian creadit card for purchases. I have been encountering this with more companies lately. Its really the credit card companies screwing things up.

Thanks for the ICE tip!!

Res.

Hanzo
03-26-2006, 07:59 PM
Resistor,

Our company can take Canadian credit cards very easily. The reason we don't sell to Canadians anymore is because of all of the problems we were having with duties and things like that. We would ship things, the customer would find out there was a duty or some other kind of fee and refuse the delivery. Then we got stuck with the bill.

03-26-2006, 08:22 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Hanzo:
Resistor,

Our company can take Canadian credit cards very easily. The reason we don't sell to Canadians anymore is because of all of the problems we were having with duties and things like that. We would ship things, the customer would find out there was a duty or some other kind of fee and refuse the delivery. Then we got stuck with the bill. </div></div>Seems I misunderstood, thanks for clarifying Hanzo. Still think card companies and governments suck!!
Wearing some of your Field Pants right now. Love the cut on these things.

Res.

Hanzo
03-26-2006, 08:24 PM
Resistor, I'm not sure about all companies, that's just us.

As for "my" field pants...either you've confused me for someone else or you drove a long way to steal my pants. I sell refrigerators.

03-26-2006, 08:28 PM
Hanzo,

Given your post I assumed you worked for Crye!! So let me get this straight...you sell Multi-cam fridges!! lol

Res.

Hanzo
03-26-2006, 08:42 PM
...not yet, but I may have to bring that up to the boss.

Aimless
03-27-2006, 05:02 AM
QUOTE]Called Arc'Teryx awhile ago and it was a no go.

Its not that Crye has a problem with selling to Canadians, its using a Canadian creadit card for purchases. I have been encountering this with more companies lately. Its really the credit card companies screwing things up.

Thanks for the ICE tip!!

Res. [/QB]</div></div>That makes more sense. There have been problems with foriegn credit cards. I know some firearms distributors that lost a lot of money when they got scammed with a foriegn credit card somehow.

I would assume they would take a money order.

Gizzmo
03-27-2006, 05:20 AM
Great photos.
I need to get multicam on my next pack.

BiggerStick47
03-27-2006, 05:33 PM
Great photoshop Straps! Thanks. I agree that the OD is far too dark. I have decided to go with the pack in MC with the standard tan straps. I just ordered a few pouches (Eagle and Tactical Tailor) in MC that are naked on the front. That should eliminate the problem all together. Thanks again for all you guys' help.

BiggerStick47
03-31-2006, 10:21 AM
Guys, thanks for everyones help. I just ordered a Multicam Zulu!

Also, special thanks to Mel for taking the time to speak with me about the Zulu over the phone.

seb5
03-31-2006, 12:59 PM
Just a thought. I have quite a bit of pouches and such in MC and just about all of my Kifaru pouches are MC and I feel it does great in my AO. I believe it appears more natural in smaller items vs. a whole uniform. This week I went to watch some of the SWAT Challenge in N. LittleRock AR. There was a team from ROC that was covered in MC, head to foot along with RAID packs, covers, all of it. I had never seen so much MC on a person. It really appeared to have a yellowish tint to it. Has anyone else happened to observe that?

damon
04-01-2006, 08:41 PM
This might be a silly question, but anyone ever seen foliage green webbing on MC?

04-02-2006, 06:13 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by damon:
This might be a silly question, but anyone ever seen foliage green webbing on MC? </div></div>Yup!!

I change out all removable buckles (not sewn in) on all my MC gear. I think it works better with the camo and my area. The sewn buckles are one half tan and one half foliage green. Keeps pack from looking too brown.

Res.