PDA

View Full Version : E&E vs Scout vs TG1

Snyper
03-18-2006, 10:34 AM
Hi all,

[Apologies if this has been posted before, but a quick search came up with no usable results.]

I'm looking for an E&E pack that I could use as a short hiking pack too. I know Kifaru do a specific E&E pack, but since I'm going to use this for day hikes too, I'm not 100% convinced it's going to be very comfy. Also, if I use it as an E&E pack, I'm a little worried that its going to flap around like a sheet in the wind if I ever have to peg it.

Basically, I'm looking for a pack that is comfy, stable, and able to take a 2l hydrocarrier (3l being preferable) as well as munchies, med kit and a basha, and be able to dock-and-lock to the bottom/back of a Zulu with quickly and easily (both on and off).

With this in mind, I've been looking at the Scout, Tailgunner 1 and the E&E to compare, but I honestly don't know what to go for, so I was hoping that you lot would be able to help, as I've had no experience with any of it other than reading stuff on here and on MM's website.

Thanks in advance.

ThePrepared_com
03-18-2006, 11:04 AM
Honestly I think the E&E may be a bit small for what you want. The TailGunner and Scout both have more room and a waistbelt to keep it from moving around to much.

copper
03-18-2006, 11:51 AM
The scout will offer you aluminum stays and a max of pals webbing for add-ons. If you are building upwards, this may be the handiest platform.

Woods Walker
03-18-2006, 12:08 PM
I was wondering if anyone used a scout for a day pack with an EMR. I know Snyper wants to use it with a Zulu. I like the idea of a small camp/hike pack. Was thinking E&E but now I am not so certain. Does the scout take a little pod on the bottom?

oktec60
03-18-2006, 05:40 PM
Snyper,
The TG1 may be a little small for what your wanting but the Scout is about perfect for what your after, in my opinion. BTW,I have and use both both.

Woods Walker,
That's what I want to do as soon as I can squeeze out the EMR money, and yes, the Scout does pods.

Mike

Atrick-Pay
03-18-2006, 06:48 PM
I just did that with my E&E all weekend at Devil's Den.
2l water + plus my GF 32 oz plus some snacks and
the like and pig-backed it on my Zulu for the trip out.

It maybe a little small for some but not me,
If it is to small then you need a Scout or Omni-Yoke, IMHO.

Michael Aos
03-18-2006, 07:26 PM
I've got an E&E, Scout and a Tailgunner II.

I think a Scout sounds right for what you want to do.

Mike

Aimless
03-19-2006, 04:50 AM
I've used an E&E for day hikes. I know that is not really what it is intended for, but it works okay. I put a 50 oz pakteen in the little pocket that is on the strap side of the pack and there is still plenty of room for first aid kit, granola bars, gloves etc in the main pack compartment. I've also stuffed a first aid kit and fleece jacket in the main compartment and used a HSGI EOD pouch on the outisde to carry the stuff I take out for a day, fire making stuff, knife, flash light, digital camera etc.

The straps have no padding, but with so little weight on it I did not notice it. I noticed the small size made it easy to scramble around up and down hills and through brush and it did not seem to move around on my back that much.

I think a 2 or 3l bladder would have to go in the main compartment, but you could still fit a first aid kit and trail mix etc in there and attach the stuff you really need to the outside. An esstac pack rat has three loops in it for a knife, light and multi tool and still has room for lighter and compass.

I am considering a scout, though, and I suspect you'd probably be better off with that.

Woods Walker
03-19-2006, 06:00 AM
Snyper
If you are looking at the Zulu I wonder how the new top lid makes for a daypack. Unless it is too hard to remove. Not so certain if the scout needs a padded belt if connected to a large pack. But a belt with molle webbing would be nice for a canteen pocket.

Anyone knows what size pod the scout takes and if it has pod attachments on the bottom like some other Kifaru rucks? The scout rides low so I am wondering if the pod would be bouncing off my butt like the molle butt pack (no one laugh). A pod on the bottom of the scout would add a great deal of versatility to the pack as I could maybe pack a paratipi in it. Often take the paratipi and small stove in my winter daypack, as it is the ultimate survival aid. I use the medium Alice pack or the UM21 patrol patrol pack with two long molle packets on the pack (the only part of the system I use). But like Snyper want a pack that is part of a larger pack system and will also make a nice little day pack.

copper
03-19-2006, 06:46 AM
Woods, I had that combo at one point (scout piggybacked to emr).

It mated well for sure. The scout was an excellent day pack. In fact, I removed the stays from the scout so it compressed even better-I never loaded the scout enough to require stays.

I don't know how much capacity you need for a daypack, but that new lid might be sufficient as a stand alone daypack.

Medic17
03-19-2006, 06:52 AM
Snyper I used my TG1 as an medical bag as well as a EE/Survival pack. It has great compartments for smaller items such as medical gear and what not. However, if you were thining of placing socks or some light clothing go with the Scout. I was not crazy on the TG2. Just my .02.

nut_sak_himself
03-19-2006, 07:26 AM
you may want to consider a tg1 for your various hard goods, and then a small pod docked on the bottom for clothing/soft goods/etc.

i should be recieving my tg1 soon!

Woods Walker
03-19-2006, 07:31 AM
Copper

So I can remove the stays for the pack. Cool. That would allow me to compress it down nice. Did you get the belt with the scout? If the scout can take a pod on the bottom it would make a better daypack for bringing alone a shelter like the paratipi or maybe the new super tarp. The top lid may make a good camp/tipi pack so I don't have to go in and out of the main pack to get everyday tipi stuff.

Why did you dump the scout? Was it because you got a hunting pack to replace the EMR? The only thing I wonder about is the way the scout rides. I am certain that Mel knows the reason but it seems odd to me. That is why I was wondering about the bottom pod thing. I like the pods.

I hope any of this is helpful to Snyper. I will have to work all this out. This is not chump change being spent. On the plus side I can always sell off what I don't like.

oktec60
03-19-2006, 06:29 PM
Because of the questions about what you could mount on a Scout, for fun today, I took mine and added some Pods (small and medium) along with a Claymore. I have Specter Gear Medium Vertical Utility Pouches already mounted on each side, so the Pods and the Claymore went on top, bottom, and front. The way I ended up liking the best was with the medium pod on the front, small on top, and the Claymore on the bottom. The Claymore on bottom wasn't even noticeable when walking; the Medium Pod was a little. Setup like that the Scout can carry a lot of stuff, and do it reasonably comfortably.

Mike

Woods Walker
03-19-2006, 06:43 PM
What about a small/med pod on the bottom? If I read it right you said the med on the bottom was a bit noticeable but what do you think about the small? Would the med get in the way of a good hike?

oktec60
03-19-2006, 06:52 PM
Yes they fit, the bottom of the Medium pod is about the same size as the bottom of the Scout. I think the only way it would really be annoying is if it was loaded with something rather heavy (or if you have ghetto booty) then it might bounce when hiking.

Mike

Edited to add some text

oktec60
03-19-2006, 06:56 PM
BTW, if you did not already know, the medium pod will easily hold a summer bag and bivy with room left over.

Mike

Gizzmo
03-20-2006, 04:21 AM
Hopefully my Scout will ship this week.
I will piggyback it to my EMR also.