PDA

View Full Version : The Marauder Mystery

DeanJ
03-13-2006, 11:17 AM
I feel like I am secretly in an episode of 'Lost'

What are the dimensions of the Marauder?

I have read on the board that Kifaru only customizes the belt. If you don't order a Marauder with a belt, they don't ask your measurements.

I e-mailed customer service 3 weeks ago, and they have yet to answer me.

The website suggests that customers 'Click here' for "PALS Grid and dimensions" but the pop up only shows the PALS Grid?

I guess I just need to be more like Locke (Faith) than Jack (Science).

It seems that "relative size" is a marketing convention for Kifaru. That keeping the pack's dimensions vauge, will give the impression that each pack is carefully/custom made (instead of 25 to 50 at a time).

Dan M
03-13-2006, 11:31 AM
The PALs grid is one inch webbing. You can count. You can also use the search function on the board and get this answer:
Marauder Dimensions (http://forums.kifaru.net/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=001262)
/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

"...Outside dimensions of the Marauder: 8" deep, 14" wide, 19"... "

ThePrepared_com
03-13-2006, 11:44 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Dan M:
The PALs grid is one inch webbing. You can count. You can also use the search function on the board and get this answer:
Marauder Dimensions (http://forums.kifaru.net/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=001262)
/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

"...Outside dimensions of the Marauder: 8" deep, 14" wide, 19"... " </div></div>You could have saved yourself time and the site bandwidth by simply posting

Outside dimensions of the Marauder: 8" deep, 14" wide, 19"

Not nearly as offensive either. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

westrek49
03-13-2006, 11:48 AM
From my perspective relative volume of the pack was what I was interested in and I think Kifaru does a good job of measuring this, and explaining how they measure it, along with posting alot of photos.

As to the custom fit of the pack, without a belt it would be hard to bend the stays properly as there would be no point of reference from which to match the profile of the packowners' back, or at least that is my understanding of how the pack is fitted. Mine fits me like a glove as delivered.

Finally, in my view, my Marauder is fully custom as it is the color I want, doesn't have the grommots I don't need, and is embroidered as requested. Plus, and no minor point, 'carefully made' has a whole new definition when you get your hands on one of these packs. Beyond well made or any other description, my marauder is solid because those who made it, made it to last as a custom build.

copper
03-13-2006, 12:07 PM
It's a piece of military gear so you should really just give Mel a call. There is so much to those packs, that most questions couldn't be fielded real well through email, anyhow.

Ralph
03-13-2006, 12:56 PM
The PALS grid uses 1" webbing with 1" spacing for the horizontal rows and 1.5" spacing for the vertical channels. This is useful for determining if a particular pouch or pocket will fit and where before you get the pack.

Maggie has been updating the listings to include dimensions but it does take some time.

Remember that listed dimensions are seam to seam. Fabric bags bulge quite a bit so the actual capacity is larger than simple width x length x depth calculation will indicate. I believe Kifaru uses pinto beans to fill the packs, then pours the beans into a graduated tube to obtain cubic inch capacities.

There will also be slight variation in weights since fabrics and coatings are not precise, so one bolt may weigh a bit more or less than another.

They try very hard to be as accurate as possible. No one at Kifaru is interested in puffing their wares - they don't have to.

Mel or Patrick may correct me, but as far as I know, belts come in a range of lengths. Straps are adjustable over a very broad range and the stays are bent to approximate back type but can and should be custom fit to the individual, easily done at home. The belt positioning may be customized to fit high and low waisted individuals.

The bags are the size they are, the suspension is the only thing that has to be adjusted to the person and Mel is the resident genius in talking people through that.

I make a lot of my own gear, and know that there are so many features in the Kifaru designs (as well as mine) that a fairly large booklet could be written on each pack detailing uses for all the little thingys included.

Point is, these are remarkable and brilliant designs produced by extremely knowledgeable and skillful people who get great satisfaction in a job well done.