PDA

View Full Version : Colorado Rendezvous Want List

Sawtooth
05-07-2008, 10:23 AM
Timberline started one of these threads last year, so here's one for this year.

The rendezvous of old, circa 1820's, also included a lot of equipment reviews, firearms try-outs, discussions about backcountry technique, etc. That's what we do at our modern ones, too. So...what do you attendees want at this one? Any particular pieces of gear you want to see or try out? Any special firearms or archery you want to shoot? Electronic devices (GPS, cameras, etc.)? Fishing tackle?

I would like to see:

Any and all sub-compact semi-auto pistols that might be on hand. CCW type.

Everyone else's fly fishing tackle used while backpacking.

Anyone's basic load for multi-day three-season rambling (I'll have mine with me for the same).

Food dehydrating ideas.

<span style="color: #FF0000">Backcountry ski setup, including boots </span>

<span style="color: #FF0000">Pulks and pulk harnesses </span>

I'll probably think of more...give me a day or so!

Scoutin' Wyo
05-07-2008, 10:31 AM
I have a request for anyone coming to the rondy.

I'm trying to look at some Kenetrek Mountain Extreme boots prior to buying. If an attendee has a pair that they wouldn't mind bringing, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.
Brian

Huntsman22
05-07-2008, 07:17 PM
Is the 500 yard strobe fixed? I kinda wanna see that again......

Cleve
05-07-2008, 09:04 PM
Well, if we could just keep from shootin the cord apart

singleshot
05-08-2008, 07:33 AM
Patrick ordered two new strobes. We are going to put the second one on the ram. Here is a picture of the new pistol target.

[image]http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb33/singleshot1/marapr2008052.jpgvvvvvv[image/]

Steve Seeger
05-08-2008, 09:52 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sawtooth</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would like to see:

Any and all sub-compact semi-auto pistols that might be on hand. CCW type. </div></div>
I was going to bring my S&W 317 Kit Gun (.22LR revolver), but I'll plan on bringing my Kel-Tec P-11 (9mm auto) now. If I have room left over, I'll bring both but I'm riding from Michigan on a motorcycle so space is a premium. I'll only have room for about 50 rounds of 9mm ammo.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sawtooth</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="color: #FF0000">Pulks and pulk harnesses </span> </div></div>
I went on a pulk trip last December using borrowed gear so could tell you about what I learned, but don't have any gear to show off. Here's a link to another trip participant's journal. (http://therucksack.tripod.com/journals/2007/Dec2007MacStateForestPowell.htm) If you look at any of the pictures, I'm the one in the orange hat. There's a couple of paratipi shots, too.

I'm interested in seeing 4 vs. 6 man tipis & medium vs. large stoves, plus checking out the hauler sytem, but I imagine Patrick will have that all covered.

Other gear I'll be bringing: Garmin eTrex Legend HCx - good combo hiking/motorcycle GPS, small AM/FM/SW radio, paratipi (but parastove will probably be staying home.)

Smokepole
05-08-2008, 12:48 PM
singleshot, when are you heading up? Need any help hauling stuff up there?

Patrick
05-08-2008, 01:25 PM
Elmbow, sorry you can't make it.

Steve, we'll have all the tipis and stoves there--ready for housing anybody who needs it. I'll snag a LongHunter and Cargo Chair, which is the basis for the Hauler set-up, and bring it along. Probably would have had mine in the truck anyhow, but will make sure.

Gregdoo
05-08-2008, 01:33 PM
This will be my first Rondy and I'm really looking forward to it as a long-time lurker. I don't have much fancy gear to show off, but will have a H&K 4 pistol that has .22, .25 and .32 switchbarrel capapability (.380 too....though I don't have that barrel). Nice, easy to carry compact with limited firepower.

I really hope to see and wear the full spectrum of Kifaru hunting packs, as I'm wanting to buy one for elk hunting; but want to fill one up and see how it feels first. Interested in seeing the sizes of tipis and tarps for future wish list inclusion. Finally hoping to see the new Slick bags.

Cleve
05-08-2008, 06:57 PM
Anybody got any throwing tomahawks? I just today received a gift of a SOG Fusion Tactical tomahawk and the Rondy will be my first chance to "play' with it. If anybody has other types it might be a fun comparison. Especially to compare to traditional "hawks" as this one is anything but. Nice to have something utilitarian as my GB Wildlife Hatchet is certainly not for throwing.

Sawtooth
05-08-2008, 07:01 PM
Cleve,

There was a nice hawk target at the Rondy site last year. We found it while stump shooting Sunday morning before we all left to go home. I'm not sure if Ralph hauled it home or left it. If he left it, I know where it's at.

Cleve
05-08-2008, 07:33 PM
Thanks Sawtooth! Good to know. If it got hauled away I imagine we can find another stump somewhere in the vacinity.

Smokepole
05-08-2008, 08:31 PM
Cleve, a tactical tomahawk? What's it got, turrets on it?

Cleve
05-08-2008, 08:37 PM
LMAO!
No just "modern" rendering of the design -- stainless steel head w/ reinforced fiberglass handle.

But turrets or other aiming systems might be helpful. I probably won't be able to hit the ground with it.

Smokepole
05-09-2008, 04:16 AM
As long as you can use it to chop chicken for your secret curry, that's all that matters.

Steve Seeger
05-09-2008, 05:51 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Steve Seeger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Other gear I'll be bringing: Garmin eTrex Legend HCx - good combo hiking/motorcycle GPS, small AM/FM/SW radio, paratipi (but parastove will probably be staying home.)</div></div>
I was going through my gear last night (since I'm leaving tomorrow morning) & remembered my LuxuryLite cot. I'll try to find space for that, too.

Patrick
05-09-2008, 06:52 AM
Steve, I wouldn't leave that ParaStove at home. Will very likely get pretty cold at night up there. Frost most nights.

Steve Seeger
05-09-2008, 11:18 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Patrick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Steve, I wouldn't leave that ParaStove at home. Will very likely get pretty cold at night up there. Frost most nights. </div></div>
I am planning to bring my 0 degree down bag. It might come down to the stove vs. the cot, but I'll see how creative I can get with packing.

CCH
05-09-2008, 11:27 AM
Steve, if you don't mind the expense you could probably ship out some of the extra gear to someone here and they could bring it up. I'm happy to do it but won't be up there until Saturday afternoon.

Sawtooth
05-09-2008, 11:31 AM
If you decide to ship something out, I'd be happy to help get it to the Rondy. I'll be there Friday evening.

singleshot
05-09-2008, 07:19 PM
Hey Cleve,
I have a set of 3 SOG throwing knives that I haven't tried yet. I'll bring them along.

ozarkrambler
05-11-2008, 05:02 PM
Anyone have a .357 lever action? I wouldn't mind handling/shooting one. Thinking about picking one up for my wife and kids to keep things cleaned up around the house.

Patrick, if you happen to see this, could you throw in that knife Ed T made for you, I want to measure, and trace it out. I am going to try and make one for myself since Ed didn't get into producing them.

In answer to your question the other day, no, I haven't put a red dot on my mod 60, yet. I was kinda waiting for you to set one up so I could "test" it out w/o the expense:)

Ozark

Patrick
05-11-2008, 06:29 PM
Ozark, will do on the Ed T knife.

Well, I do hope you're bringing your 60...I'd like to see it again. Get another briefing on all your handload categories too. You have a record of the velocities we recorded last time?

Sawtooth
05-11-2008, 06:49 PM
I'll second the request for handload data for the Model 60! I'll have mine there, too. I don't have the CT grips put on yet, and my factory trigger may be a little rougher than Ozarks. I would definitely like to shoot both to compare the triggers. I sure was impressed with his last year!

That ulu/knife that Ed T made sure looked like a winner to me.

Steve Seeger
05-12-2008, 08:17 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sawtooth</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you decide to ship something out, I'd be happy to help get it to the Rondy.</div></div>

Thanks for the offers to get stuff out there, but I'm already in Beatrice, NE. I was able to pack more than I need, & most of what I want. The only thing I mentioned that I didn't bring is the kit gun.

I'll be in Colorado either today or tomorrow & plan on camping somewhere on my own until Thursday. If anyone needs a hand loading or unloading gear, the number sent out in the participant email is my cell phone, so give me a call/leave a voicemail.

ozarkrambler
05-12-2008, 06:14 PM
Sawtooth and Patrick, load data is as follows for my Mod 60. To all others "Use at your own Risk!"

Small Game load/gen. purpose load/kill a deer out to 25 yds if hit in head load'

38 special case
3.5gr Bullseye
158gr lead swc
cci small pistol primer
760fps
accuracy-outstanding

Gen. duty load/deer out to 50 yds if shot through lungs load/bad guy load

357mag. case
158gr jsp or hard cast swc
8gr Unique
cci primer
1150fps
accuracy-as good as I can shoot it out to 50yds (about 4ish")

"Heavy" bear is going to eat me or else load/ or my choice for extended out to the 100yd'ish big game load

357 mag case
180gr hard cast
12.5 gr H110
cci primer
1300fps
accuracy- fairly good, I don't/haven't shot a great number of these. The recoil is pretty stiff, and I'm not sure if the J-frame will stand a steady diet of these. The are not as hot as those buffalo boar rounds Smokepole had last year, but a bit more shooter friendly. I have not shot these past 75yds and I can't seem to find my notes pertaining to accuracy. I'd think you could lung an elk at 100 yds if you had to, but I would like to be with in 75yds and have a bit of a rest.

I don't have any of the heavy loads loaded up right now, and time may not permit me throw any together before I leave.

Anything else you guys want me to bring?

Sawtooth
05-12-2008, 06:27 PM
ozark,

Thanks! I'm not set up to reload for either 38 Spl or 357 Mag quite yet, but I anticipate shooting quite a bit of the small game loads. Looks like I need to get with the program.

CCH
05-13-2008, 06:29 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ozarkrambler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sawtooth and Patrick, load data is as follows for my Mod 60. To all others "Use at your own Risk!"

</div></div>

Does this mean that there is no risk to Patrick and Sawtooth or that you're not worried about them? /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

I have to check my records but I think that 158 grain HC SWC load is exactly what I use in my model 60. I know I'm using Unique and getting 1,150 out of the 3" barrel and it's not a max load. I don't really want to shoot anything much heavier and feel pretty comfortable with it for most anything in our woods. It will work fine on small game as well although your light .38 load is much more fun to shoot.

I'll probably bring my 3" if anyone wants to shoot it. Will have to check ammo supplies though as I haven't loaded anything up in a while and am trying to get some .308 put together.

CCH
05-13-2008, 06:34 AM
Sawtooth, I might have some .357 dies if you want them. Have to look. They might be at my dad's house. Not carbide but old Herter's.

ozarkrambler
05-13-2008, 09:33 AM
CCH, Both, I don't worry about them doing something stupid with the info, therefore I'm not worried about them.

I have to agree it did sound kinda bad, and I'm sure most folks are responsible.

I wouldn't mind shooting your 3" mod 60 if you don't mind bringing it, I bought the 5" version with the intentions of it being my wife's gun, but I liked it so much I kept it for myself. I've thought about getting her the 3" version to go with the 357mag lever gun that I haven't bought her yet:)

CCH
05-13-2008, 09:47 AM
Knew what you meant, just harassing.

I'll most likely have the 3" with me and you are more than welcome to shoot it if you can get over the trigger pull. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif I might even put the full size grips back on. I'd like to add a .357 lever gun to the stable as well.

singleshot
05-13-2008, 04:16 PM
I'll bring some 38 special wadcutters to shoot in your model 60's,
then you can try my J frame.

Timberline
05-13-2008, 04:52 PM
What I WANT is to be two places at once – Colorado and Saskatchewan.

I keep telling myself not check in on all the rendezvous preparations on this site as I won’t be able to attend the Kifaru Rendezvous this year. But I can’t resist. I will sincerely miss all the rendezvous doings and the good friends around the Kifaru tipis.

But my two boys and I catch a plane for Saskatchewan and bear camp on Friday morning. It’s their very first bear hunt. They are, as you can imagine, stoked! Quite frankly, they are driving me nuts with all of their “what if” questions. I’ve never thought about it before, but “what if the bear looks up at you in your treestand and you get so excited that you drop your release and then the bear start up your tree and there are no nearby trees to jump to and there’s another bear behind you and the wind is blowing really hard and….” Gasp.

You guys have fun and be safe. We will think about you.

Scoutin' Wyo
05-14-2008, 05:00 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Timberline</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
You guys have fun and be safe. We will think about you.
</div></div>

Right back at you Timberline!

I'm looking forward to your pictures and stories when you guys return.

Brian

Sawtooth
05-14-2008, 10:43 AM
ozark,

Have you ever used 38 Spl HBWC loads for small game? I've read they're good for that. Any truth to that?

Anybody else have input on this load?

CCH
05-14-2008, 10:57 AM
I have used them although not in many years. They did just fine on rabbits. Given their intended use, they are obviously accurate but I don't think they offer any real advantage over a 158 grain SWC hard cast and don't have nearly the versatility of the latter which you can use for your small game loads or more "serious" duty. One final downside is that wadcutter loads do not chamber smoothly compared to cartridges loaded with regular bullets particularly with a speedloader. Not a real factor if you just have one ready to go for small game but more so if you're carrying an extra speed strip or speed loader.

Sawtooth
05-14-2008, 12:28 PM
Well, I'll find out this weekend, because I just got a box! They're "remanufactured". They were the only ones on the shelf at the gun shop.

Ken
05-15-2008, 03:23 PM
Where's the live feed from the event??... /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

CCH
05-15-2008, 03:52 PM
I think the live feed will be around singleshot's grill. Sorry but it's not available in all areas. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Sawtooth
05-15-2008, 03:54 PM
CCH,

When are you going up?

CCH
05-15-2008, 04:48 PM
The plan is to go up after Colton's t-ball game on Saturday (lunchish) but right now most of the family is down with a stomach virus. We almost took the little guy to the hospital on Tuesday but the doctor sufficed. I'm hoping it will pass quickly and we'll be okay to go, but I don't want to share this particular bliss with anyone either. Of course I could blame it on H22's cooking I guess if he brings up something special to share.

Sawtooth
05-15-2008, 06:51 PM
I can sympathize 100%. Hope the feller feels better real soon. Hope to see you Saturday. We're going up tomorrow right after school.

ozarkrambler
08-25-2008, 04:46 PM
I need to edit one of my 357 mag loads I posted in the middle of this thread, pg 3 halfway down. I had listed my "General Purpose 357 mag Load" as 8.0 gr of Unique with a 158 gr JSP or Hard Cast SWC. After conferring with Sawtooth, who caught my error, then visiting with the ballistics lab at Sierra bullets, it appears the load data for a hard cast SWC max's out at 5.0 gr. of Unique not 8.0 gr. The 8.0 gr is "ONLY FOR JACKETED BULLETS".

Sorry for the mis-information.

Ozark

Gambel_Oak
11-03-2008, 02:59 PM
It isn't that hard to build a pulk. A few years back I wanted one that would hold two small children. There were only a couple of choices for a two child sled and both were pretty expensive, especially when you factor in that we had recently bought good quality baby backpacks and a good quality double jogging stroller. The local REI had the gear version of one of the sleds. I did a little research on the company. The company also made children's snow sleds. The sled part of their pulks even said "Ziffy Boggan" on them which happened to be the same name as the children's sled. Then I noticed that the seats on the kid towing version of the pulk were what the company called a "baby tow" - a little sled for pulling toddlers around in. We bought a Ziffy Boggan, two of the Baby Tows. We went to Home Depot and bought some aluminum tubing, a tubing bender and some other hardware, went to the fabric store and bought some Nylon cloth and elastic. We also cut up an old sleeping pad to give some insulation in the seats. We set it up so it would hook in to the sides of a Mountainsmith fanny pack. We hauled kids in it for several ski seasons and never had any problems with it. It wasn't anywhere near as fancy as the manufactured ones but even with having to buy a tubing bender and buying an extra Ziffy Boggan to use for sleedding we spent less than half what it would have cost us to buy one. That company, Ziffun, I think, doesn't seem to make the snow stuff anymore but there are other companies making sleds that are close enough that it shouldn't matter. A gear sled should be even easier to make than the kid version. I still have the tubing bender too in case you want to borrow it.