PDA

View Full Version : Anybody has a black Marauder?

tmpx
03-02-2006, 04:58 PM
After reading the post from DirtyBird, I wonder if anybody has a black Marauder, if so can you post any pic's?

Regards,

B.

westrek49
03-04-2006, 08:23 PM
tmpx,

I have a black Marauder. Brand new so I haven't worked with it too much yet but I like it. Got it because I needed a portable toolbox of a pack and it is all that. Still have and use my old Mountainsmith packs and fannypacks and that, in large part, is why I looked into Kifaru when I started thinking of something more modular. I appreciate the benefit of military design and testing inherent in this pack, along with the great attention to detail.

http://images6.theimagehosting.com/allpacks2.jpg

Why black? For my job I don't need to worry about blending into the terrain and usually am trying harder not to lose my gear. I think the various camo patterns look interesting. For pure personal use I'd probably pick the Multicam. However, most all of the equipment and older add-on pockets that I have are black.

For example, as posted earlier by RangerReject I think, I can add on some older stuff I have like the Osprey Vector One stovit (shown) to haul snow shovels and/or secure gear, or my old Osprey Vector day pack. Not made any more but you can get your hands on them or work up something similar I would guess. Both snap right on (fit dock and lock) and let me load up the back of the pack. I did run into the problem that nut_sac_himself and militarymoron noted with the lack of male quick attach buckles but went ahead and cut slots in extra Kifaru buckles I ordered, sanded the rough edges, and attached.

http://images6.theimagehosting.com/packwosprey.9a0.jpg

I took off most of the junk I have loaded up on the pack so you can see how it looks. It is a good looking pack but I fully plan on getting it dirty this field season, another benefit of black.

Don't know if black would work better for DirtyBird as it looks a bit like SWAT or paintball tactical to my eyes and practically screams concealed weapon based on too many tv shows during my youth. Then again, I typically have it loaded down with gear and don't use it for hauling back and forth to the office. With all the straps I don't see how you could fit any patches on it to change the look.

Finally, above I covered up my last name embroidered on the top of the pack but it is a very classy and well done Kifaru green on black.

http://images6.theimagehosting.com/packstripped.jpg

tmpx
03-05-2006, 04:26 PM
Hi westrek49,

Thank you so much for the pictures, up untill now I have been searching for some without much succes.

I googled "Osprey Vector One stovit" but did not find any references, could you provide me with any links?

I'm also curious as to what pockets you use.

Thanks again for the pictures.

B.

westrek49
03-05-2006, 10:09 PM
tmpx,

Not suprised you couldn't find much about the old vector one snow shovel attachment I showed. Osprey stopped making them at least four or five years ago I think - so I don't have any links for you. I showed it in the photo only because of two other threads going on about adding a beaver tail and urban camo (i.e. modifying the look of the pack).

I don't care much about modifying the look of the pack - I like how it looks - but I do use the vector one snow shovel attachment for holding gear on the back of the pack or I add the vector daypack (vintage 1995). This is one reason I got the Marauder as I figured I could use my old stuff.

However, with that said, it isn't necessary to have something like the vector on the back given the space within the pack and ability to add pockets. The pack will suck up most anything you want to carry. My problem is that I have a lot of odd shaped pointy (often dirty) gear, shovels, picks and sledge hammers, tapes and other stuff that I like to keep accessible but secure.

I filled the pack up pretty quickly with essentials so added some pockets. These help me gain quick access to smaller gear on the go. Pockets are new but include the Endom wideload on the back (holds jacket, flashlight, minimal survival gear, camera, etc) and Endom SUV (nalgene water bottle and snacks) on one side. Other side is a TT multipurpose pouch (holds shear torvane,pocket penetrometer, etc.) and SpecOps logistics pouch (notebooks, munsell color book, pencils, rules, etc.). On straps I have a Blur pouch holding my Garmin 60c and knife in a small vertical pouch. Wear my Brunton compass on the waist belt (not shown).

Below is a last photo showing the other side with the SpecOps and TT, SpecOps looks offcolor only because of the flash.

http://images6.theimagehosting.com/packside2.jpg

I like all the various pockets and didn't go with the Kifaru ones only because I didn't think I needed the bigger addons (side pockets, claymore, etc.). Ultimately I might go for the new Kifaru belt pouch though, if I find I might need the space/access in a couple of months.

I have no idea why I did it as I don't need another small pack but I did get the Kifaru E&E. I throw in a photo just for fun and that is what I use this little guy for, and even added some stuff to it as I play with it (mountainbike and dayhike). Note the complete failure to blend into the background unlike other people's photos (black isn't great camo) - very useful as I tend to lose things! /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

http://images6.theimagehosting.com/epack.jpg

VMIMAX
03-06-2006, 01:37 PM
what are all of those pouches? who makes them? you have what looks like the most diverse set of pouches anywhere on this forum.

murphquake
03-17-2006, 06:13 AM
Dude... I am just plain hating right now... a Black SUV and a Black WideLoad on a Black Marauder... all it needs is a lg ute shingle and a pistol pouch... you even have the same carabiner as I had (cept mine was the one I got free from ADS at SHOT with their imprint... lost that on a cardiac arrest call). Sweet setup...
-bill

kgb1024
03-17-2006, 02:13 PM
Hey westrek, I have the same bag and the same gps but what case is that for the gps? Thanks, and nice rig..

westrek49
03-17-2006, 03:04 PM
kgb1024,

Thanks. The GPS is in a Blurr instrument pouch made in Canada, or at least headquartered in Canada.

Looks like they are out of stock at the blurr site (www.blurrstuff.com). The 'instrument pouch' is shown in the shop section...pack systems...instrument pouch

I don't know if they stopped making them or just are out of stock at the moment but I've had mine for a year or two. Recommend it if you can find one although the fit is a little tight. Works well on the Marauder straps. Haven't tried the Kifaru GPS pouch but it looks pretty handy as well.