PDA

View Full Version : Placed my first order

68Bird
03-02-2006, 01:45 PM
Well, I finally broke down and did it, after spending a few weeks reading this forum back to 2002 as well as every review I could get my hands on. I ended up getting a CB Pointman and E&E, with two multicam long pockets, a multicam claymore pouch, a CB GPS pouch and a #5 lock n load. I must have added all of that stuff to my cart a half a dozen times before I finally went through with it, but now I can't wait to give it all a shot.

Now, for a question: I plan on using this as a pack for hiking with camera equipment, has anyone else done so? I'll be carrying a pro body dslr with 3 lenses and related accesories, but all I can think of doing with them right now is to put the stuff in my lowepro toploader bag and lens cases and just trying to secure them in the pack. Is there a better way anybody has figured out? It seems kind of silly to put a bag within a bag, but I guess I could use the extra padding anyways. Any input would be appreciated, and I already can't wait till the wait is over and I can rip open the box!

nut_sak_himself
03-02-2006, 01:56 PM
believe me i've looked far and wide for a good "tactical" camera pack. you have two options: learn to sew, or this (http://www.rstacticalgear.com/pd_vf100.cfm)

personally, for the price, i would just get a marauder and learn to sew and make some custom stuff. but i'm going to learn to sew as is.

fireballxl5
03-02-2006, 07:14 PM
Hmm, I got a part of my order the other day and promptly found out my camera is too big for my padded chamber.

Still my iPod and phone will fit, but I reckon I see a product here, a larger, 3D, padded chamber for larger more "3D" fragiles.

Personally I want my fragile gear at the top of the pack, and given that Kifaru packs have provision for hanging chambers in all of their packs, that seems like the obvious place to put them. Easy to access and hopefully above pretty much everything else in the pack.

Not handy if you need to access it quickly, but if you are humping it in transit mode, then it would be ideal.

Mel, Patrick, what about it?

300wby
03-02-2006, 08:33 PM
Hmm given what nut_sak posted it might be time to cancel your Kifaru order 68bird. If your intent is a pack that compartmentalizes and protects optics it looks like that pack is already designed and produced but is simply produced by another company.
Kifaru isnt covering everything yet. I'm still waiting on a daily carry laptop bag. Simple and yet difficult at the same time.

eggroll
03-02-2006, 09:59 PM
may the force, patience and avoidance of stitched fingers be with you /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

68Bird
03-03-2006, 04:21 AM
I really doubt I'll decide to cancel the order, because I really like the look of the gear and think I'd get some good use out of it. I've already got a compartmentalized backpack for hauling just my camera gear, but there's absolutely no room for anything else if I want to stay out in the woods for a couple nights, which is what I'm hoping my Pointman will allow me to easily do while still having room for my camera gear. I'll probably just wait and see when I get everything; I'm hoping there'll be an easy/semi-easy way to attach my padded lens cases that hook on my other bags to the inside of the Pointman, and then I'll just keep the padded camera case in the bag as well. If there's a will, there's a way.

FinHauler
07-10-2006, 07:13 AM
Hi to all you addicted ones out there, just joined here and i`m hoping to end my long saga of finding that "perfect military pack".After reading enormous amount of superlatives about kifaru stuff i couldn`t
wait anymore, placed an order 1.7.

The timing seemed to be lucky since when i looked the re-opened site today, there were some price increases.

Special thanks to mm, marvellous review`s plus photos.

Vet Medic
07-10-2006, 08:49 PM
68 Bird,

Hey I understand that the padded pouch is too small but you can use the common loops to hang lots of other stuff, especialy pouches with d-ring attatchment for shoulder straps. I hang a spec ops pack rat from my common loops in the back of my Zulu, might not be padded enough but I can think of a thousand padded camera bags with d-rings on the side for a neck strap. small biners can be put through the d-rings and the loops, or more simply and permanent would be some 550 cord or the like.

Hope this helps Kifaru gear is the greatest ever. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Best,
Gene

militarymoron
07-10-2006, 09:36 PM
thanks for the kind words, finhauler.
cheers,
MM