PDA

View Full Version : Quick mod of Zulu - Feasable?

Kerberos
02-28-2006, 12:59 PM
I have a Zulu and is most pleased, work great for me so far.

Now I have a new vest, The Eagle Ciras land version and with it comes to problem of Big vest and smaller bag, sure it will stuff into the mainsack but you gotta kindoff have to play tetris to make it happen.

So my thought would be to fold the front part of the vest togheter and stuff it into the slotpocket, which almost works. but that one is a tad bit to small for the need.

Here's a pic to see the frontpart of the vest.

http://www.operators.se/gallery/albums/album35/IMG_0033.jpg

Now since It will not fit into the front slotpocket.

Could one cut the thread that sews the mainbag to the "outerskin" in the "corners" so that you get a whole "big slotpocket" ?

If I see correctly the pals is bartacked separatly.

Good or very bad idea?

My other solution would be a wraparound bag I would sew that would wrap around all 3 sides of the bag.

What do you think?

Nathan C
02-28-2006, 01:51 PM
Why not just shove it in a pod?

Dan M
02-28-2006, 02:39 PM
Exactly what I was thinking - Pod.

Kerberos
03-01-2006, 05:02 AM
A pod would probably do the trick but I wanna try and contain it inside the bag.

So would pulling that stich do anything It shouldn't do or?

militarymoron
03-01-2006, 05:38 AM
think you need a bigger bag, kerb. maybe like a duffle for gear. just me, but i think it's a bad idea to cut that stitch.

Kerberos
03-01-2006, 02:30 PM
I do think I need a bigger bag. But a duffle won't work for me, on my little "nature outings" I carry about 50-60 pounds with me. Lugging a duffle won't do the trick. And since I ain't got a car or drive I can't just toss a duffle into the trunk. If I could It would probably be the best solution.

Anyhow I threw caution to the wind and pulled those stitches very carefully and the bag is none worse for wear. I now have one big slotpocket instead of 3.

Here's the Ciras put into the ruck now.

http://www.operators.se/Lightfighter/zulu-ciras.jpg

It works but it's not ideal. I guess I will have to sew an outerbag carrier thingy and put on the pals or just buy a pod. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif
(Or get a Zulu extreme /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif )

Oh well worth a shot.