PDA

View Full Version : EMR in ACU !

Mel
02-28-2006, 09:13 AM
Hey guys, here's a link to a pic of the first EMR in ACU to come off the line. The guys at the shop said that the pic doesn't do it justice, and that it looked fantastic in person.

http://www.kifaru.net/MGemr_acu.htm

Mel

Hanzo
02-28-2006, 09:15 AM
Good looking pack...but I still can't get on the ACU train.

Nonetheless, whoever the lucky customer is, enjoy, and good for you!

DiabloDawg
02-28-2006, 09:37 AM
The pack looks sweet, but I'll be the first to say that pattern is ugly as sin. I've seen soldiers wearing that stuff in Ft. Lewis and BIAP and it looked horrible both places. The big army really dropped the ball on this.

tim83
02-28-2006, 12:01 PM
Amen to that...the only time it ever blends in up here at drum is when someone's standing behind a bush in the snow...other than that no good

nut_sak_himself
02-28-2006, 12:09 PM
blech! i hate acu!

02-28-2006, 12:34 PM
well, it looks...interesting

Res.

Lone Piper
02-28-2006, 12:38 PM
Looks great Mel!! I don't know what the problem is...personally I love the ACU, especially compared to our old woodland or desert BDUs. Its a great pattern, especially in lowlight conditions...plus the eyes just do not pick it up as quick as other patterns, to include MARPAT.

Can't wait to get my packs in ACU Mel! As always, you guys at Kifaru ROCK!!!

RangerReject
02-28-2006, 01:17 PM
Pack looks great guys. As to whether or not ACU blends, drive around Camp Victory at night and you will see (or not see) guys that dissolve into the darkness in Iraq. Say what you will about it, but it is one of THE best camos I have seen for night time use. My .02

Nathan C
02-28-2006, 01:58 PM
It seems to work well in arid enviro's from what I saw over there. Have my doubts about woodland places though. Why couldn't they have just gone with MC /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif waaaa!

Pack looks good. Be waiting for my Express.

copper
02-28-2006, 02:02 PM
YUK.

Dan M
02-28-2006, 02:34 PM
Patiently waiting for ACU pattern Zulu Extreme Ruck.

tim83
02-28-2006, 04:29 PM
I believe it works at night. Grey is the base color so that makes perfect sense. Grey actually works better at night than black. So props to ACU for that. Apparently it's good in the IR sprectrum as well. But I still don't think it's very universal, as they claim. I'm a fan of digitized patterns, but I'm simply not a fan of any universal/joint/all-terrain stuff. I just don't think it works, a jack of all trades ends up being a master of none (yeah go ahead, let me have it for being a dork who said that!). Anyway...Uncle Sam made his decision and I ordered my MMR in ACU.

Lone Piper
02-28-2006, 04:55 PM
Hooah Tim!! Same here....got an express and E+E in ACU on order! For the guys that HAVE to wear ACU, bitching about it really does not good. Like you said, Uncle Sugar is making us wear it so lets hope it keeps up safe through the next deployment!

Its the wait that new Kifaru pack that really sucks....but pics from Mel always help tide me over!

Woods Walker
02-28-2006, 08:12 PM
What copper said.

Patrick
03-01-2006, 05:47 AM
Wow! This ACU pattern elicits quite a range of response...you either love it or hate it!

BrooklynBen
03-01-2006, 06:38 AM
Mel (glad to see you beat the bug!)/ Patrick;
Are those the new 'foliage' colored buckles I've read about?

Hanzo
03-01-2006, 07:05 AM
Patrick, since I'm one of the ones that hates it, let me just clarify by saying that my hatred of ACU has nothing to do with the fine work that the people at Kifaru are doing in building the packs.

It's not your fault the army picked it. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

tim83
03-01-2006, 09:18 AM
Pat/Mel: I'm with hanzo...as I look at my sleeves right now I still don't know who decided this blends with everything. BUT, not your fault. And actually, what's your opinion on it? What have you heard from other professionals in the equipment design aor? I'm sure there are some opinions floating around

Patrick
03-01-2006, 03:34 PM
Ben--

Yep, that's them.

Patrick
03-01-2006, 03:48 PM
Hanzo and tim83--

Thanks very for the thoughtful assurances; we didn't really think any of y'all felt we were somehow blameworthy for offering this pattern as one of our optional choices. Our Army brothers and sisters are obliged to use it, and so we certainly can't shut them out. Anyway, no worries, friends.

Hanzo
03-01-2006, 05:24 PM
Patrick, I should also add that while I hate the pattern, I think it's awesome that you guys started making gear in it ASAP so that the men and women who are layin' down some hurt can get the best gear out there and stay within regs. (at least as much as possible)

thewolverine
03-01-2006, 09:36 PM
I think I have to agree with Egg..To me the new ACU looks a bit like feldgrau. Pretty effective in WWII. I am waiting for pics of the new zulu extreme with Dan M.

Pat K
03-20-2006, 08:14 AM
It has been pointed out on other boards, that while camo is cool, one of the primary reasons to wear uniforms is to be recognizable. It appears that the trend in camo patterns is to be OK in most environs, not great in any, but to be distinct for the users to ID each other an concievablely prevent a blue on blue.

pat

Nathan C
03-20-2006, 03:39 PM
Haji don't surf or wear camo /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Hanzo
03-20-2006, 03:41 PM
If he's wearing circa 1980s MC Hammer pants, and stripped, collared shirt, flip flops and is shooting in your direction with an AK, chances are it's not your platoon sergeant.

gronk
03-20-2006, 04:40 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Hanzo:
If he's wearing circa 1980s MC Hammer pants, and stripped, collared shirt, flip flops and is shooting in your direction with an AK, chances are it's not your platoon sergeant. </div></div>If it is your platoon sargeant however, you've definately got problems...
G

Olive Drab
03-20-2006, 04:58 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Hanzo:
If he's wearing circa 1980s MC Hammer pants, and stripped, collared shirt, flip flops and is shooting in your direction with an AK, chances are it's not your platoon sergeant. </div></div>ha
I had a custom suit made over there. Came complete with MC Hammer pants. Tailors make a good jacket but I had to get the pants fixed when i came home.

Woods Walker
03-20-2006, 05:47 PM
I like the pack and the fact Patrick is making products that will aid our HEROS fighting EVIL but think the ACU just stinks. Look at nature. The chipmunk, deer and rabbit are grays, browns and white. Never seen anything like digital before. You think nature could not come up with it. Look at natural eggs. Lots of them are blue with crazy specks on them. The reason is to make it harder for nest hijackers to emulate the eggs. Nature is just good like that. The USMC pattern is just plain silly in the woods. A buddy of mine got a set and looked like a clown at the campsite. Given the option of looking like a video game character or a chipmunk I would side with the rodent every time. The force behind the chipmunk is a whole lot smarter than anyone.

Hanzo
03-20-2006, 06:11 PM
Woodswalker,

You're missing a pretty important detail.

First, those animals have spent millions of years adapting to the area in which they live. They don't have to jump on a plane and fly across the world and try to blend into any place they land in.

Secondly, I don't know about you, but I've found and killed a whole crapload of rabbits and deer, so it's not a perfect system.

Third, yeah,it's tricky to see a chipmunk...then again, make that chipmunk 6 feet tall and 200lbs who has to carry 80lbs of gear and find out how difficult it is to see him.

Fourth, it's not just the coloration of the animals that helps them blend in, it's the texture that helps break up their outline. So, unless we start wearing fur coats, that's pretty much out of the question.

As for your friend, well, I'm not sure where you were or any of that, but having seen it in the field and over a lot more time than a weekend around a campfire, I can assure you, it works.

Woods Walker
03-20-2006, 06:24 PM
True I have killed my share of woodland critters too but nature seems to use the same colors over and over again in every place. I didn't like the way the USMC patern looked in a woodland setting. I don't think another few days or weeks would change that. Maybe in another setting but it just sucked that day. Sorry. I just have the same gut feeling after seeing the old desert patern back in 90-91 (seems so long ago I don't even know the year). I just didn't like it. I think a chipmunk would work even after a long plane ride to a far away place. I wonder if anyone knows how the USMC stuff campared to the ARMY ACU? I know it goes against what others think but I dislike the USMC patern less than the ACU. Maybe I am in the woods too much. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Hanzo
03-20-2006, 06:31 PM
Hey, you didn't like it, fair enough.

Not to argue about it, but, following that train of thought about the chipmunk, what would be your suggestion as to colors? Solid brown? Or would you do similar colorations as a chipmunk?

Honestly just trying to get ideas here.

The problem with the different colors is where to put them. With 4 legged animals, the belly is light colored to negate shadows. But, 2 legged animals don't really work like that. Likewise, a black stripe down our backs wouldn't have the same effect.

Woods Walker
03-20-2006, 06:46 PM
I kind of like that MC thing. The chipmunk seems to break up the pattern. I see it but don't recognize the whole picture. I like the way the MC does this. The white looks like light patches that I see on the forest floor and fallen trees but never see as a person or animal. Like the way my solid CB tipi gets a boost from the shadows and light hitting it.

http://images5.theimagehosting.com/4mantrip5.jpg (http://www.theimagehosting.com)

http://images5.theimagehosting.com/4mantrip4.jpg (http://www.theimagehosting.com)

If the door was closed the eye would not see the unnatural line. With out the shadows and light a tipi stands out more even with the chipmunk color. After looking at the MC it seems to have that feel of something that belongs and should be ignored. I just didn't get that same feel with the ACU. The USMC seemed better but felt sick looking at it. So maybe that effected my view.

fisterkev
03-21-2006, 01:43 AM
One thing about ACU: it works very well in pulverized concrete environs. In fact, it beats Multicam in that one, I think.

That's about the only area where it beats multicam. (Lamentation...)