PDA

View Full Version : a few questions...

nut_sak_himself
02-27-2006, 10:11 PM
ok, so i'm looking into a tailgunner 1 for trail running/short mtn bike rides/etc. and i was wondering if this is a good idea. these sports require alot of pack stability and will this pack stay put? should i get the shoulder straps along with this? also, would attaching a pod to the bottom get in the way when running or sitting on my bike? if so i could just put it on the front anyways, but i'd like to keep it open if possible.

does the e&e have a sternum strap?

where can i get ir tan delrin male quick attach buckles and why doesn't kifaru sell these along with the female ones??!!

just thought of another one: what do you guys think is the best color/camo print for use in the rain? i want to get a poncho but i need more info. how is the kifaru one? is it as effective as others out there?

ThePrepared_com
02-28-2006, 05:42 AM
The E&E does have a sternum strap. Can't answer the others.

militarymoron
02-28-2006, 05:53 AM
the tan buckles that kifaru uses are from ITW, and ITW doesn't make a male quik-attach buckle right now (i've been pushing for them to make one for at least a year - mel knows).
the only male quik-attach buckles i've seen are from national molding, and i haven't seen those particular buckles in tan, only black.

camo in the rain? i'd think it'd be the same camo you use when it's dry, based on your environment.

Chucker
02-28-2006, 06:21 AM
Well, I don't have a TG I but I have a gen I Scout that I've taken on some long runs. Loaded reasonably, the pack is very comfortable and solid without the shoulder straps. I've gone on runs with 25 lbs in it and I felt that the shoulder straps were necessary and lent and extra bit of stability because they prevented the load from bouncing. I consider this the maximum for the Scout but not because of the strength of the pack. 25 lbs was a lot of weight for this little pack but it was amazing how it rode. It just stayed 'molded' to my body. By the way, this was a 'workout load' not anything for sustainment or comfort...just weight.

I am guessing that you probably won't need the shoulder (cross) straps for the TG I unless you're going to stuff a sack of lead shot in it and use it for working out with a 'weight belt'. I've seen others use the single strap on the TG I for good convenience (ie: donning a loaded pack or using without the waistbelt). I think it would be a nice convenience item.

As for the pod on the bottom, I've had my Scout on my dual sport bike (motorcycle) and it was pretty close to the seat without pod. With just a bicycle seat or running, I don't think you would have any clearance problems with a bottom mounted pod.