PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Colorado Rendezvous

Patrick
04-14-2008, 07:25 PM
Hello all, it's time to announce this year's Colorado Rendezvous--the Grandaddy of 'em all. Following tradition, the gathering will be in our South Park location, and span the weekend before Memorial Day. I'll be up there Thursday May 15. We'll break camp Sunday May 18.

Email mackenzie@kifaru.net to sign up. Give name, address, phone number and # of folks who may be coming with you. We will send details on getting there and what to bring back to you.

Snow in the high country is plentiful this year; those of you around these parts know that South Park has been well and truly buried. We will advise you ahead of time if 4WD is mandatory. And just in case, don't put your chains into deep storage yet.

I expect the shooting range will have more targets than ever, and the archery range as well. Hope to see some of you guys from the Northeast and Northwest Rendezvous joining us, and can guarantee you'll have a blast.

So. Let the planning begin!

Huntsman22
04-14-2008, 07:42 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Patrick</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Hope to see some of you guys from the Northeast and Northwest Rendezvous joining us,
</div></div>

Oh boy, fresh meat........,grin.

Cleve
04-14-2008, 07:44 PM
Count me in! E-mail sent.

Had to miss last year to see my daughter graduate college. But no conflict this year.

Sawtooth
04-14-2008, 07:54 PM
I'm in. It'll be good to see all of you again this year!

Ken
04-14-2008, 07:56 PM
Nearest Airport?

Sawtooth
04-14-2008, 07:58 PM
Denver and Colorado Springs are about equal distance from the rendezvous site, with Denver being just a hair closer.

flamingo 7
04-14-2008, 07:58 PM
Patrick,

I'm in. You canít imagine how much I have looked forward to this, my time is finally my own if only for a little while. I hope to finally meet some of the nefarious characters populating this board. Let the loading begin.

Huntsman22
04-14-2008, 08:15 PM
Ken, if ya need a ride, lemme know.

Ken
04-15-2008, 05:26 AM
Thanks Don...

gdw042
04-16-2008, 07:07 PM
My son (6) and I will be coming, with our 6-man.

He might have his new rifle by then...

I'm looking at one of the Ruger 10/22 Compacts for him. He had a hard time shooting my full size 10/22.

Looking forward to it.
GDW

llcoolbeans
04-16-2008, 09:43 PM
So, any member of the forum or Kifaru admirer is invited?

Huntsman22
04-17-2008, 04:59 AM
So I've heard......and welcome. If they let me come, they'll let about anybody.

Sawtooth
04-17-2008, 06:42 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If they let me come, they'll let about anybody. </div></div>

True story...H22 is the fellow who brings hand-caught rattlesnakes in pickle jars. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

(just kidding...Don's as fine as they get)

Kevin
04-17-2008, 10:55 AM
Huntsman22 is also the fellow who had to get a nose job after one year's rondy, so now, he looks like Brad Pitt in a cowboy hat. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Good people, good fun.

CCH
04-21-2008, 02:30 PM
I'm in!

llcoolbeans
04-21-2008, 02:36 PM
It's not looking like I'll be able to make it. Dang! Next year.

Steve Seeger
04-23-2008, 12:34 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Huntsman22</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Patrick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Hope to see some of you guys from the Northeast and Northwest Rendezvous joining us,
</div></div>
Oh boy, fresh meat........,grin.
</div></div>
I haven't posted much here, but have picked up quite a few good tips when I get a chance to browse the boards & plan to attend the Rendezvouz from the Upper Midwest (no local Rondy here!) I'm working it into a 2 week motorcycle trip from the Detroit area to the Rockies & back, camping out of my paratipi - maybe sneaking into a hotel once or twice to clean up & recharge.

Timberline
04-24-2008, 07:45 AM
I regret that I wonít be able to attend the Colorado Rendezvous this year Ė the first one Iíve ever missed.

But, I do have a good excuse, maybe the best excuse. Iím taking my two sons hunting.

For some years Iíve been promising my two boys, now grown and out on their own, that I would take them on a spring bear hunt in Canada. This is the year. On May 15, weíre headed for northern Saskatchewan together. Weíll be bowhunting for black bears and also doing our best to reduce the local walleye population. The prospects of big bears and lots of fish have my boys pretty excited. Me too.

I should add that I strongly encourage anyone who is able to attend a Kifaru Rendezvous to do so, if even for just a day. If you can squeeze in a few days, so much the better. Every Kifaru Rendezvous Iíve ever attended has been a wonderful experience. They are the perfect opportunity to actually try out all of the Kifaru gear and learn how to set up and best use that gear. Itís also a wonderful opportunity to meet Patrick, his capable staff and many of the regular posters on the Kifaru website. Youíll be amazed at how open, friendly and helpful everyone is. If you have a question, this is THE place to get it answered.

Last year, I wondered out loud if Huntsman22 might be able to somehow give a coyote-skinning demonstration at the Rendezvous, as over the years heís taken and skinned more furbearers than Sawtooth has titanium-gear dreams. I suggested that he maybe find and freeze a road-killed coyote for that demonstration. No, not Don. He walked out of the Rendezvous camp at dawn on the first morning, called in and Ruger .204ed a fine coyote and then later in the day instructed everyone in the fine art of case skinning a song dog. That was cool, and fairly indicative of what goes on at the Rendezvous.

We shoot a lot (firearms you bring and firearms others bring), eat well, try all sorts of Kifaru gear and tell tales by firelight well into the wee hours. Itís a friendly, learning, sharing outdoor weekend that Iíve always found a great and worthwhile time.

Cleve
04-24-2008, 09:33 AM
Timberline --
Your absence will be a loss to all attendees -- but who can blame you? Sounds like a fantastic trip with your boys. We'll all look forward to your usual excellent trip report and photos.
---Cleve

Sawtooth
04-24-2008, 11:04 AM
Yes, we'll miss you, Timberline. Maybe someone else will show up who can shoot 2" arrow groups at 60+ yards! /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Westy
04-24-2008, 11:07 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sawtooth</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes, we'll miss you, Timberline. Maybe someone else will show up who can shoot 2" arrow groups at 60+ yards! /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

</div></div>

I'm sure Smokepole can oblige with his new setup. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Patrick
04-24-2008, 11:13 AM
We will raise a toast or two in your honor, rest assured. And will be thinking of you and sons on your most excellent adventure!

Sawtooth
04-24-2008, 11:57 AM
The only targets I've seen Smokepole group 2" on are cowpies at 25 yards! /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif (...with a trad bow)

CCH
04-24-2008, 12:50 PM
Sorry you won't be there Timberline, but given my druthers I'd rather go bear hunting and walleye fishing with my sons too! As Cleve notes, we'll be expecting the usual high quality write up and photographs.

Westy
04-24-2008, 01:07 PM
Have an amazing time up there Timberline - that sounds like a fantastic adventure. My dad and I often talk about doing a similar trip to AK sometime - that would be special time spent indeed.

Kevin
04-24-2008, 02:32 PM
Well, my personal disappointment is tempered by the thought that you are not at the Rondy for the best reason ever...hunting with your sons.

Have a great trip.

(And, BTW, Smokepole is a quick learner with the bow.)

gdw042
04-25-2008, 07:20 AM
So, as a Rondy newbie, some quick questions.

Will there be a grill of some sort available?

I am thinking about bringing my famous-in-my-own-mind-and -immediate-family Yakatori (chicken on a skewer) to share on Friday night and want to be sure there is a good way to cook it.

Also, is there a stream nearby for water or do I need to bring large containers.

Lastly, other than picking up brass, any other "chores" I should be prepared for? :-)

Thanks!

GDW

CCH
04-25-2008, 09:09 AM
If it's your first time you only have to do clean up, help Patrick pack up, fluff pillows/sleeping bags, clean firearms and bring libations suitable to Patrick's taste. Other than that, nothing, just relax and enjoy. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Sawtooth
04-25-2008, 10:16 AM
There is NO water nearby. You'll need to bring enough for the whole weekend.

Smokepole
04-27-2008, 05:48 AM
If I can have first dibs on the yakitori, I can bring a small propane weber. Remind me a few days beforehand so I don't forget to bring it.

gdw042
04-27-2008, 01:12 PM
A small propane weber would be great. I will remind you and you are welcome to first dibs. I warn you though, they do go fast, so get as many as you want the first time...

GDW

gdw042
04-27-2008, 01:14 PM
"If it's your first time you only have to do clean up, help Patrick pack up, fluff pillows/sleeping bags, clean firearms and bring libations suitable to Patrick's taste. Other than that, nothing, just relax and enjoy"

I'll be happy to oblige, however, all firearms to be cleaned must come to my house so I can do the best job... /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif
GDW

Jon S
05-01-2008, 02:52 PM
Looking forward to a fun weekend

Sawtooth
05-01-2008, 02:57 PM
Jon,

One of the best things about this Rondy is that there's something for everyone. Heck, some of even shoot BOTH! /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Jon S
05-01-2008, 03:08 PM
I saw the post that my buddy put on and had to change it, I only have one bow and am planning on bringing a few firearms and learning to shoot farther distances from some of the pros.

Westy
05-01-2008, 03:13 PM
I saw that post too - I was planning on bringing both bow and firearms setups, but unfortunatley I'm only flapping with one wing for a while - the Rondy shooting competitions will have to wait until next year. I guess that means more time in the tipi getting to know some quality gents...certainly could be worse.

CCH
05-01-2008, 03:18 PM
Westy, you can get in on the revolver shooting "fast and fancy" style a la McGivern. Please don't cut out the front of your trigger guard though. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Sawtooth
05-01-2008, 04:04 PM
Westy,

Hope you're OK. There'll be plenty of time around the stove. Looking forward to talking to you. I've heard you know how to speak elk. Bring your calls. You don't need both arms to use them , now do you? /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Westy
05-01-2008, 04:47 PM
CCH - Trigger guards are supposed to connect in front of the trigger?? /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif That's a good idea, I should bring a short-sword...it will be of the semi-auto variety though.

Saw, yeah, I broke my 'bow (are puns as funny online as in person? :-D) mtn. biking in Moab last weekend - will be slung for ~4 weeks. No complications luckily - good clean fracture with no tendon/ligament damage. I will reserve the story for the campfire.

The calls will be packed - make sure to bring yours too - we can have a session or three. I have a hunting buddy who swears by a calling technique aptly named, "Unrestricted Bugling." I've never seen it used in the field, but near the truck it's deadly for a good laugh - maybe I'll share the secrets...

Looking forward to talking to you too Saw.

Sawtooth
05-01-2008, 04:56 PM
I'll bring the coyote howler, too. It's a good way to ensure H22 is awake in the morning.

Huntsman22
05-01-2008, 05:16 PM
you'll hafta get up early to beat me outta the sack.......

Sawtooth
05-01-2008, 05:46 PM
That'll all depend on how late the stoveside conversations last!

Westy
05-01-2008, 07:23 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sawtooth</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'll bring the coyote howler, too.</div></div>

Awesome - you and H22 can show me how it's done. Never hunted song-dogs.

I've been known to rise early if the occassion is right.

Sawtooth
05-01-2008, 07:34 PM
Westy,

H22 has forgotten more than I've learned about calling coyotes. He's the expert.

Huntsman22
05-01-2008, 07:40 PM
Westy, I'll bring a bunch of homemade howlers. Grab one. Sure wish the sched would have allowed us to hook up this winter.....

Sawtooth
05-01-2008, 07:44 PM
Are yours made out of old cow horns?

Huntsman22
05-01-2008, 07:49 PM
Nah, just cheap cpvc pipe sections with a reed made from a plastic 'for sale' sign, held together with rubber castrating bands. They is so cheap, it don't matter if you lose 'em. I hate to lose a good call.......

Westy
05-02-2008, 10:03 AM
Huntsman, we'll get to it one of these days - that's how life goes sometimes. Looking forward to playing with some puppy lures.

Scoutin' Wyo
05-02-2008, 10:23 AM
All this talk about coyote and elk calling is getting me fired up. I can't wait for the 15th to roll around.

By chance would the master Hunstman22 be willing to take a fella dog calling in the early hours, in hopes that the master can learn a green horn some new tricks?

Brian

Smokepole
05-02-2008, 03:47 PM
Well, my experience is, all a fella has to do is show up at the Huntsman's tent early in the AM, and be ready to walk a fur piece.....

Scoutin' Wyo
05-02-2008, 04:43 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Smokepole</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, my experience is, all a fella has to do is show up at the Huntsman's tent early in the AM, and be ready to walk a fur piece.....</div></div>

Smoke,

Do you think I should bring my own can of Alpo? /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Smokepole
05-02-2008, 06:35 PM
Well, in my experience, that's already been taken care of.

Cleve
05-03-2008, 07:57 PM
"Westy, I'll bring a bunch of homemade howlers."

I'm looking forward to seeing/hearing these. I've been looking for a howler as a turkey locator. Everything I see offered as a locator call on the shelves at local hunting stores is a crow call or owl call -- I hear darn few of either of those where I hunt for Merriams here in the Colorado foothills -- seems like a coyote is a far more common critter/predator/irritant Toms might react to in their day-to-day lives.

BTW the Colorado turkey season is still open the weekend of the Rondy -- in past years it's always closed the weekend before. And I have heard reports from a couple of sources of turkeys within reasonable driving distance of the Rondy site (assuming decent road conditions up there which I'm still waiting to hear about -- been LOTS of snow up there this year and it seems to keep falling). Anybody interested in that? No guarantees of course. The one time I checked out the area in question I had a lovely day in the woods, but no turkeys seen or heard.

Probably have far more luck trying to blast a coyote with H22 as mentor. But I'm just thinking...

Smokepole
05-04-2008, 06:22 AM
Cleve, can you get an OTC tag?

Patrick
05-04-2008, 11:49 AM
Update:

The road is open all the way! In fact, the county section has been graded, punching out drifts in the process. Looks as if they prepared it for Memorial Day visitors. Turns out to be early enough for our gig too.

Cleve
05-04-2008, 12:14 PM
Smokepole--
Yes the OTC tag is good for the area -- in fact most of the Front Range is in the unlimited OTC area. The limited licenses are mostly for the units along the Platte, Republican and Arkansas rivers on the plains and a few of the more popular (and therefore heavily pressured) areas in the southern mountains. the challenge is (as we found a couple years back when we went in w/ Sawtooth) that Merriams tend to wander over larger territories than the other varieties, and in much more wide open moutainous areas so finding them is the big challenge. So they don't limit the licenses since the terrritory is so wide and the birds scatterd thoughout. On the plains uints, populated w/ introduced Rio Grandes, they are much more concentrated along the river corridors so they're easier to find roost trees, etc., and less room to spread the hunters out.

Patrick -- thanks for the good news on the road!

Smokepole
05-06-2008, 05:15 AM
Cleve, when are you going up? I'll go along for a morning or two, how far a drive are we talking?

Westy
05-06-2008, 07:54 AM
I'll tag along for a morning also if the hunting party isn't full.

snakey2
05-06-2008, 09:48 AM
I think Huntsman should put the how to build a howler plans on the board for those of us who won't be there to see them in person. I'm sure if I could practice on one in the comfort of my backyard I would get good in no time. I'm sure the dogs would love it too!

Sawtooth
05-06-2008, 10:46 AM
Our dog goes bezerk when I get out my howler and/or my distress call. I usually do it when no one else is home!

Cleve
05-06-2008, 01:02 PM
Smoke and Westy --
I'm going up on Thursday morning. The drive from the Rondy site to where I'm think of is probably about 30-45 minutes? So maybe Friday and or Saturday mornings? I have to be back in town before Sunday morning so those would be the options from my end.

I'll PM w/ more details.

---Cleve

Smokepole
05-06-2008, 03:38 PM
Cleve, don't bring Westy!!!! He'll shoot all the turkeys!!!!!

Sawtooth
05-06-2008, 04:35 PM
As long as he doesn't shoot my decoys...

Cleve
05-06-2008, 09:33 PM
Cleve, don't bring Westy!!!! He'll shoot all the turkeys!!!!!

Yeah, what fun would that be???

Not as much fun as calling each other into range was couple years ago! But if my luck on Merriams holds the only turkey sounds I'll hear will be those made by Smokepole.
Glad we're both careful and discriminating about what we'll shoot at.

Scoutin' Wyo
05-07-2008, 10:57 AM
Moved post.

elmbow
05-07-2008, 08:12 PM
It's not looking good for Elmbow and the rondy this year. Pulled up stakes and moved a few months ago and life hasn't settled down yet. If we make it at all, it'll be like Roger's Rangers, no fancy cooking and light on powder'n ball. Look forward to future gatherings though. Be safe, have fun and come up with a creative recipe for those sondogs H22 drags back to camp.

Smokepole
05-08-2008, 01:50 PM
sorry to hear you won't be making it this year elmbow. Your cooking, er, ah, I meant to say you will be sorely missed.

Huntsman22
05-08-2008, 03:16 PM
Get out here. Sounds like you need the break, with the move and all...... Life will settle down, in it's own good time, AFTER ya git back home.

Cleve
05-08-2008, 07:51 PM
+1 on what H22 said.

Even "short on powder and ball" you should make the run over. Lord knows there'll be enough munitions to keep you happy even without. And others can cook too -- maybe not as full-on a dutch oven kitchen as yours but you won't starve!

Hope you can make it happen.

Herb
05-12-2008, 06:02 PM
I'm not going to make it this year and will miss the fine company and beautiful vistas.

I know H22 and all enjoy some good food while out there, so I'm sending out a care package. We've got something new from our smoker, so take you favorite BBQ sauce and I'll get the details worked out for something from Nebraska to be there to use your sauce on.

Everyone have a safe trip and great time.

Huntsman22
05-12-2008, 07:30 PM
First, elmbow and timberline, now Herb......You guys 'spect us to fend for ourselves???????? No food AND no pics and cool writeup..... Sumbody's got to step it up. Volunteers?......

Huntsman22
05-12-2008, 07:32 PM
We'll miss you guys.....

Sawtooth
05-12-2008, 07:38 PM
I'll bring hot dogs, and H22...you can draw some pictures.

Yes, we'll miss ya Herb. You and those tipi-dwelling goats of yours. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

Sawtooth
05-12-2008, 07:40 PM
One thing about it...between CCH, ozarkrambler, snowdevil and myself, our passle of kids will make up for the shortage of grownups.

Herb
05-12-2008, 07:49 PM
Don, I'm sending out some food to help get you by for one night, bring your BBQ sauce.

The goats are bummed out too.

Huntsman22
05-12-2008, 08:05 PM
Which night?....... /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Smokepole
05-13-2008, 06:21 AM
Herb, that's too bad, but thanks for thinking of us with the care package.

CCH
05-13-2008, 07:38 AM
I'm sorry I won't get to meet Herb and elmbow and will surely miss Timberline. If someone take notes on the early days, I'll write it up if you don't mind a slightly humorous (to me) take on things. I'm no Timberline but have in general mastered grammar and for the most part spelling. Anyone and everyone should post pictures.

Herb, Saturday is the night for your food! /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Herb
05-13-2008, 10:47 AM
I'm forwarding the goods to Westy, he promised that half of it would make it to the Rondy.

Westy
05-13-2008, 03:02 PM
Herb, what type of cooking instruments will be required to ready the "package" when it arrives? I'm a bit shy on fancy kitchen supplies, but I'm sure somebody else here can help out with the preparations...

singleshot
05-13-2008, 03:16 PM
We will bring the grill for the Yakatori and the care package, if needed. Same one as last year.

[image]http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb33/singleshot1/marapr2008072.jpg[image/]

Everyone is welcome to use the grill.
Fire in the top for a grill.
Fire in the bottom for oven, smoker or campfire.
We won Sawtooth's award for smokiest campfire last year.
Not surprising since the boys were cooking boulder sausage every couple of hours.
This grill is not for backpacking.

singleshot
05-13-2008, 03:55 PM
Just a reminder that there will be lots of targets to shoot at.
Here are some of the Kifaru .22 targets.
If you have kids, bring at least two bricks of ammo.
Ozark's lads and Hunter may require more.

[image]http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb33/singleshot1/DSCN2637.jpg[image/]

Here are some of the Kifaru high power targets. If you are shooting close with a fast varmint rifle or magnum or full metal jacket,
please go check that the targets are not being damaged.
They are made of armor plate and should be OK at longer distances. Standard hunting rifles are usually OK.
[image]http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb33/singleshot1/DSCN2635.jpg[image/]

There will also be a gong target with a strobe at 500 yards
and a ram target with a strobe at some other distance, maybe 500 meters.

Sawtooth
05-13-2008, 04:24 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We won Sawtooth's award for smokiest campfire last year </div></div>

True. But it was the best smelling! /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Herb
05-13-2008, 09:43 PM
I long to be there and putting some smoke through that grill Singleshot. I share the story of plinking long range targets with your well tuned pistol to this day, most do not believe, that's o.k., we know what an amateur can do with fine tools and great instruction.

The "goods" will just need to be warmed to serving temp, fully cooked today, and looked pretty good as they came out of the smoker. Staff informed me they adjusted the procedure from the previous batch, always trying to improve, but a cause for some anxiety as I was pleased with the previous results, let me know what you think. A large deep foil pan and foil to close it up should get the job done.

elmbow
05-13-2008, 11:25 PM
The "kids" surely do add a lot to the gathering but even without them there'd still be a shortage of grownups. That's one of the reasons the Rondy is so danged much fun! I've resolved two things by missing this year's get together: Not to miss next year's and find enough folks here in the desert SW to put together a regional Rondy.

gdw042
05-14-2008, 10:56 AM
Sweet.

the yakitori will be there Friday evening, along with tortillas if you want to do some sort of flatbread sandwich thing...

Oh yeah, My son and I will be there too...

GDW

Herb
05-14-2008, 12:21 PM
The cooler is sent and should get to Westy on Friday. There was some extra space available, so I tossed a smoked beef brisket in too.

Patrick
05-14-2008, 12:46 PM
Herb, you certainly are making your mark this year, even from a considerable distance!