PDA

View Full Version : NW summer rondy?

idaho lad
04-11-2008, 06:40 PM
Any plans for an upcoming NW summer rondy?

Bushcraft
04-11-2008, 07:06 PM
Same place as last year! (access should be easier, I know some great places to do some steel plate pistolero stuff if people want to come as early as Thursday.)

Let's shoot for July 24-27 and see how it goes.

Speaking of mountain man gatherings, isn't the Shootfest Rondy (CO) coming up pretty soon?

Allen

Randy
04-12-2008, 09:25 AM
Allen,

Does that mean we can access via the Deep Creek Rd? Last I heard, still no repairs in sight.

I've already managed to schedule Friday off, so will try to get to whatever trailhead we're using late Thursday night. Looking forward to seeing everyone again.

Randy

Bushcraft
04-12-2008, 10:01 AM
Randy,

We'll keep our fingers crossed. Else, same invigorating jaunt as last year. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Allen

SuperBadger
04-12-2008, 07:07 PM
I'll be there this year.

MrFisherman
04-13-2008, 10:15 PM
Where is "there"?

I am still hoping to see a 6, 8 and 12 man and maybe a para-tipi...

Randy
04-14-2008, 06:40 AM
I believe Allen has the location coordinates. He'll most likely email or PM them to you so as not to advertise to the whole world where we will be camped. I can't find them in my computer files, but I can forward later from my map info if needed.

The location is somewhere in the Cascades, in Eastern WA. Beautiful spot.

evanhill
04-14-2008, 11:22 AM
Randy, you mean Western WA I think. To be more specific, the central Cascades. That should be enough info for planning purposes...

Bushcraft
04-14-2008, 11:32 AM
Eastern vs. Western...it's a mindset. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Kevin B
04-14-2008, 01:03 PM
Blasphemy. Everyone knows that East vs West, as it pertains to Washington, is drawn in a line of Maginot proportions. The PCT marks Wetstern (correctly spelled) from Bestern (also correctly spelled) Washington.

That's that. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

snakey2
04-14-2008, 01:29 PM
I'll be there, after the suitable detours of course! If there are any road closures this year please tell me in advance. My daughter is interested in coming again who would have thought (I think it is the hat). Same trailhead? Maybe I'll come extra early to avoid being late!

JBR
04-14-2008, 01:52 PM
It's been on my calender since last year's !! If I'm lucky, I'll have an 8-man tipi of my own this year to practice with and get technical help on proper setup and such.

Kevin B - sausages??

I'll leave the rifle this time, but will bring the Glock for any plink'in Bush may set up. And, just to try to keep up with Ed C, I'll have to pack the spin-rod along with the flyrod this year. Still deciding which of my 3 boys may or may not come along. May also depend on which trail we use this year. Either way, looking forward to it!! /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

scothill
04-14-2008, 03:59 PM
Yeah Kevin are you bringing enough food for everyone again? Or do I actually need to bring some this year?

I am personally hoping for a less envigorating jaunt this year. The trip out last year killed my knees.

Bushcraft
04-14-2008, 04:59 PM
Scot,

You might try a more upright, bi-pedal gait this year. That, or you might be able to con one or more of JBR's kids (candy and/or ammo) and/or Christina (Pringles and/or injury) into carrying your pack out for you. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

(When I say "You know...Scot from Kifaru", she says, "Oh yeah! The Pringles Guy!" She thought those were the best backcountry snacks ever and is bound and determined to bring along a can of Sour Cream & Onion this year.)

scothill
04-14-2008, 07:04 PM
I guess I have been called worse. There is something about pringles in the backcountry. They get everyones attention.

You mean I am not supposed to go on all fours? Upright? bi-pedal what do you think I am a homo sapien or something?

SuperBadger
04-15-2008, 06:13 AM
The sour cream and onion pringles treated me well on the fall hunting trip.

The dates are on the calendar. I look forward to the trip.

Wanderlustr
04-28-2008, 05:13 PM
I am also planning on attending - would be nice to meet you folks!
I would be willing to do a little recon to the area if you'd like to PM me the map. (always looking for new places to explore)
Thanks.

snakey2
05-05-2008, 08:14 AM
Are we definite for July 24-27? I am in the process of negotiating the next 3 month on call schedule and want to make sure I get the time I need.

scothill
05-05-2008, 08:30 AM
I hope so I already requested days off and have it on my calendar. So yes it my opinion it is definite ;).

SuperBadger
05-05-2008, 09:15 AM
Those are the dates that I locked in on the calendar.

snakey2
05-05-2008, 10:42 AM
Then it is definite for the three of us.

Ed C
05-05-2008, 06:42 PM
I propose we move the rondy to a new location. Bush is trying to shorten up the trip in. It is already to easy to get to. We have a tradition to uphold! This is the only backpacking rondy. There needs to be some bushwacking and navigation involved. Not a sissy trail like last year. What do you say guys? You're not going to let Allen turn this into a sissy thing are you? Are we? /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif

Wanderlustr
05-05-2008, 06:54 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ed C</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I propose we move the rondy to a new location. Bush is trying to shorten up the trip in. It is already to easy to get to. We have a tradition to uphold! This is the only backpacking rondy. There needs to be some bushwacking and navigation involved. Not a sissy trail like last year. What do you say guys? You're not going to let Allen turn this into a sissy thing are you? Are we? /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif </div></div>

Bring it on. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/whistle.gif

Kevin B
05-05-2008, 08:22 PM
I have only 1 question.

Will dolly get "there" if the location is non-sissified? I know you'll be there Ed, but Dolly.... well, she's better company.

Randy
05-06-2008, 05:34 AM
Perhaps if we want non-sissified hiking we could consider one of the locations Allen and I reconned last summer. Not a terribly far hike, but it seems like it:) Beautiful high mountains, nice little lake, hidden meadows and streams, goats and elk. And pretty much a guarantee no back-country rangers will be working on the trail. Hell, no one has worked on that trail for at least 10 years. And I'll bet there will be snow back in the basins for food and beverage storage. Only a little bushwacking needed if we go beyond the normal spot back into the little meadows, but the rest of the hike will make up for it:) Almost guaranteed that no other weekend hikers will be anywhere near us.

The only downside, we figured that some of the lady-folk might not really enjoy the trail UP the hill and some of the men-folk would be carrying way more gear than they started out with. I think this trail would even give Dolly a good work-out:)

You guys hash it out with Bushcraft...I'm game for whatever, I've already been there:)

SuperBadger
05-06-2008, 07:01 AM
I'm also up for whatever. I'll be lady-free.

snakey2
05-06-2008, 08:45 AM
The ladies want to come they go where we go. Just make sure I can drive to the trailhead without some grand detour!

evanhill
05-06-2008, 08:58 AM
I don't care where it is, but let's commit to that date (ok, I care, but not that much). I guess we're waiting for Allen on that one. He has a lot on his plate personally just right now, so we need to be a little patient.

Ed C
05-06-2008, 05:18 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kevin B</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have only 1 question.

Will dolly get "there" if the location is non-sissified? I know you'll be there Ed, but Dolly.... well, she's better company. </div></div>

I'm sending Dolly by herself with the camera. That way Kevin will have somebody that will listen to him. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Randy
05-07-2008, 07:35 AM
I have the locked as well and am anticipating a great weekend. Like Evan, location isn't as important as the date and time commitment. Looking forward to seeing you all in couple of months.

Kevin B
05-07-2008, 08:27 AM
I bet she'd run off. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

Bushcraft
05-22-2008, 09:09 AM
Thanks for your patience everyone...the dates for the NW Rondy are July 24-27.

I'll prepare trail maps for the following routes:

1) The Women, Children and Pringles Guy Trail - for those interested in a less invigorating jaunt.

2) The Cakewalk Trail - for those interested in same jaunt as last year.

3) The Trail of Tears - for anyone that would like to accompany Ed, Dolly, Patrick, KevinB and myself on a nocturnal bushwack through a fine and pleasant collection of mosquito invested bogs, slide alder, massive elevation gain/loss, blowdowns, ice-water river crossings and the like.

Expect more info as July draws nearer. Get it on the calendar and start recruiting now!

Best,

Allen

snakey2
05-22-2008, 09:44 AM
If we take the Pringles trail we won't get crap if we bring extra food and booze will we? Just planning ahead!

evanhill
05-22-2008, 09:53 AM
No Snakey, for you there is another option:

4) the special multi-hour detour route.

Allen, with the snowpack this year, I was hoping for an XC ski with overburdened "party pulk" route. Think you could put that together?

snakey2
05-22-2008, 02:10 PM
Yeah I forgot I need to take the short walk cause I get there a day late due to detours. With the price of gas these days I hope to avoid that this year.

idaho lad
05-22-2008, 08:35 PM
I'd like to make this one this summer. The plan is to dual sport on my bike from N. Idaho to the trail head.

I just picked up an like new Yamaha TW on/off road cycle. I am getting an honest 70 mpg with this little ride. A gear up and new chain and I'd be there in a day.

Here is the same bike on a Utah to Alaska trip.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nl01uweX6XI

Wanderlustr
05-22-2008, 10:28 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: idaho lad</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd like to make this one this summer. The plan is to dual sport on my bike from N. Idaho to the trail head.

I just picked up an like new Yamaha TW on/off road cycle. I am getting an honest 70 mpg with this little ride. A gear up and new chain and I'd be there in a day.

Here is the same bike on a Utah to Alaska trip.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nl01uweX6XI </div></div>

Those are pretty cool bikes. I was thinking of one for my son.
I'll be dual sporting there as well.

http://bitt.smugmug.com/photos/289640070_aFZTy-M.jpg

Kevin B
05-23-2008, 03:54 PM
Do we have reason to believe that the WCPGT will be open? that'd be a neat deal. I might then bring a kiddo, still not sure because it's still 4+ miles and 1000 feet in the first mile and a half. Mine are a bit impish in size so we'll see.

To the Hill family, if I'm alone, I'd either be in para or 6 man. If the kids come I'd be the only adult bringing them so the 6 for sure but no more to keep my load down. So, getting to the point, if you all come and might want to give a 12 a shot that can be arranged. It's a bit bulky but the luxury makes up for it.

Looking forward to seeing how many will attend. I'm working on a couple additions to the venison cuisine.

Ed C
05-23-2008, 04:31 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd like to make this one this summer. The plan is to dual sport on my bike from N. Idaho to the trail head.

</div></div>

OK Looks like you're all set. No more excuses see you there. Be there or be square. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif

Bushcraft
06-16-2008, 02:53 PM
I just read the Steel Safari thread. Does anyone have any interest in toting along their backcountry hunting rifles and doing a similar thing on Saturday afternoon (or other)? We could do everything from a couple close-in grouse head-poppers up through larger four legged critters at various distances and different degrees of elevation gain loss. Everyone participating could toss a preferred shot or two in the hat and then we could lay out a very safe course of fire that wouldn't necessarily disturb the main Rondy campsite area. Maybe 10-15 rounds downrange per person. Real world, real rambling hunting type of scenarios. (you have 5 seconds to find and shoot a target before animal bolts) This sounds like a fun addition to the anti-itinerary to me! What thinks ye Rondy participants? We could throw in a archery course too.

evanhill
06-16-2008, 03:02 PM
That does look like a lot of fun.

I'm probably the only one here with this hangup, but I don't really like to do a bunch of shooting in wilderness areas or on backcountry trips in general -- noise pollution and all that.

Bushcraft
06-16-2008, 03:25 PM
You're not getting back in far enough if you are concerned about shattering someone else's mostly imagined sense of solitude. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

evanhill
06-16-2008, 04:37 PM
Oh, it's not really others I'm worried about, so much as myself and any animals that might be in the area that I might have seen otherwise. Maybe the elk just don't care. I've never really tested that, come to think of it.

JBR
06-16-2008, 08:50 PM
Kevin B - you may not be the only one tot'in the kids this year. I'll bring my new 6 man and we'll have to see how many of the young lads feel up to the NW Rondy length hikes. I may join ya on the women and children route. Sure wish I had some goats...

Just when I thought I could par down the 70 lb LongHunter...sheesh.

JBR
06-16-2008, 08:53 PM
I think I'll leave my rifle this year (I think I was one of the only ones that brought one last year). Could tote the new bow, but I haven't had time to work out and my legs are starting to scream, just thinking about it. I know, I know..whaaaa

Maybe I could saddle up the 95 lb lab?

Kevin B
06-16-2008, 09:39 PM
JB, my understanding is the WCPGT is not going to be open. Bush said the last contact he'd had included a, "we don't think we'll get to that road till 2009." I'll let you infer from that what you want, but I suggest you plan ahead on last year's route.

I suspect if it's that route I'll be solo. I'll probably skip the rifle if I'm bringing a bunch of eats. We'll see how many folks are coming. Maybe we should start a new 2008 Rondy thread and keep a tally of the committed attendees. Wonder if Timber Tiger for instance will make the long trek. I've cleared my calendar though so I'm set.

Randy
06-17-2008, 06:45 AM
Don't know if I'll pack in a rifle this year. A couple of issues...my old boots are gone to someone they will fit, the new Kenetrek's are still in Italy with a delivery to US about July 15 (maybe)... so I'll have to go light with my hiking shoes.

Work threw a curve ball last week...total realignment of field forces beginning this week. Everyone has to recertify at the home office (Rockville, MD) in July. Training classes are July 8-16 or July 21-29, we don't find out our indivdual assignments until as late as June 30. Hopefully I'm in the first class. I'll keep you posted.

evanhill
06-17-2008, 07:26 AM
Given the long trail, there is a slim possibility I'm bringing my oldest, but that's about it.

Tomorrow she's coming on my weekly "hump day" hike when I climb 500 vertical in 1.5 mile with a full pack. We'll see how she does with that over the next handful of weeks. Most days I ride, but some days I do a longer hike with a day pack in the morning, and maybe I'll bring her on some of those too. We'll just have to see how that goes.

idaho lad
06-17-2008, 06:59 PM
Bushcraft,

I missed last years rondy but if nothing pressing comes up again, I'll make this one. My plan is to cycle there with my Yamaha TW 200 dual sport. Hopefully I'll meet some familiar folks I met down in Oregon this winter.

Any suggestions on what to bring on these gatherings?

T&S Manufacturing
06-17-2008, 07:24 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: idaho lad</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My plan is to cycle there with my Yamaha TW 200 dual sport.</div></div>A 200cc bike? All that way? On the HIGHWAYS? Yikes! Man, I MUST be OLD. Guess that's why I have a tuna boat....a full dressed bike. The days of nothing but a stripped bike (from an early KZ1000, to a '82 CB750F, a '56 hard tail Panhead, and a shovel Low Rider), a full tank of gas, my leather, gloves, and a few hundred dollar bills are long gone for me. Sigh....

Like Carlin says, "now I got stuff". I gotta carry my glasses, in case my contacts start giving me trouble. I gotta carry chaps, in case it gets cold. And a wool sweater or shirt to wear under my leather if it gets cold out. Some water. A few high calorie snacks. Cell phone. Summer synthetic sleeping bag. Rain gear. Ultra lite tarp, cord, stakes. Headlamp. Fire kit. Knife. Corona saw. Toiletries. Canteen cup, stainless. Tea. Sugar.

I sometimes stop and ask myself, "Did you really once ride without taking all this crap? What the heck ever happened to those days?"

Sheesh. Go figure. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

Kevin B
06-17-2008, 07:37 PM
Idaho, the only things that are musts... Sleeping bag, pad and something to carry that stuff in. There'll be any number of big tipis you could crash in. Nice to have's... Fishing gear, water bladder for the hike, change of clothes, camera, diddi bag of personals. There's so much duplication of gear there almost anything else you'd need will be on hand. Don't worry too much about food either that's almost assured to be overkill already. If you don't want to lug something and don't know if it'll be on hand ask in here.

Wow T&S, since you have a "for all occasions" gear kit for your ride... shall we expect you Thursday night or Friday morning? Bring something fully auto and I don't mean your transmission.

Ed C
06-17-2008, 07:43 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Bring something fully auto and I don't mean your transmission</div></div>
THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKIN ABOUT

I'll show you how a democrat can handle one of them ! /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u200/gunnerratlouski/machine_gun_cat.gif

SuperBadger
06-17-2008, 07:51 PM
I'm assuming ample amounts of bug dope! And your camera!

Bushcraft
06-17-2008, 07:55 PM
T&S and Anyone Else,

I've got two more round-trip seats in the rig (SeaTac/Rondy/Overnight Detour/SeaTac). Fly in TH, fly out Monday. First two to call 'em get's 'em.

Be there or be square!

Allen

P.S. - A fellow you'll no doubt be interested in conversing with at length has already called "shotgun".

JBR
06-18-2008, 02:59 PM
Looks like I'll probably be solo after all. Thought my wife and boys were gonna possibly make it, but they're gonna wait one more year. Need to aquire appropriate gear for everyone else and spend time working up to that level of hiking with packs before they attempt it. Just being realistic. Speaking of, I better start getting my butt in gear...I've been waaaay to lazy.

Randy
06-20-2008, 03:25 PM
Good news! Just got the word I'll be back east July 8-16, so right now I'm on for the Rondy! Who's to say what will come later in the month, but the day is scheduled, approved and on the calendars that matter. See ya all in a few weeks:)

JBR
06-23-2008, 08:02 PM
Good to hear Randy! Looking forward to seeing everyone...

SuperBadger
06-23-2008, 08:23 PM
is anyone bringing a .22 rifle along?

I was thinking of taking mine along, with a 500 round box of golden bullet...overkill? kosher?

snakey2
06-24-2008, 02:44 PM
At the rate you burn ammo are you sure 500 is enough?

SuperBadger
06-24-2008, 02:49 PM
good point Snakey, a trip to Bi-mart may be in my future...

idaho lad
06-24-2008, 03:09 PM
Snakey/Badger. Hope to see you there at this rondy. I'm very certain I'll be able to make this one.

It was goood meeting up with you folk this winter in Eugene.

SuperBadger
06-24-2008, 03:25 PM
Likewise! Looks pretty certain that I'll be there!

timbertiger
06-27-2008, 12:26 PM
Hope you guys all have a great Rondy. The Timbertiger's will not be able to make it. (Something to do with the wife's family reunion):(

Hope to make it next year.

timbertiger

evanhill
06-27-2008, 12:46 PM
I've been wondering about you guys timbertiger. Bummer!

snakey2
06-27-2008, 01:19 PM
I am in full planning mode and plan to be there with my daughter Caitlin (Bushcraft didn't scare her away with the first rondy) and her boy friend.

Bushcraft
06-27-2008, 02:19 PM
Boy have I got a route for the three of you! /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif Are you bringing your better half again?

snakey2
07-01-2008, 02:43 PM
I would have sworn I responded but don't see it. Bush I don't think Rebecca is coming this time the skeeters kinda got the better of her the last time. I will have enough trouble outfitting and riding herd on Caitlin (don't think her boyfriend is at the stage to boss her around yet, do we ever get there?). I am looking forward to it and will at least bring something interesting to drink around the fire and maybe some extra eats if I can get it together.