PDA

View Full Version : PALS?

bmstrong
02-26-2006, 12:07 PM
Stupid question: Anyone have a history on PALS? How they hook together? Where they came from? Varied uses? What it stands for?

I like learning about the history of some of the features I use.

eggroll
02-26-2006, 03:51 PM
Pocket attachment ladder system

<eggconjecture follows>

some would argue that the system derived from the early 90s from what was to become Paraclete and design/concept was 'stolen' by Natick labs and was released as the attachment system used by BALCS in 1996-7 timeframe and the MOLLE system fielded by the USMC. The actual attachment straps are 1" wide polyethylene reinforced straps with snap fasteners on one end.
</eggconjecture>

concept stems from having a matrix of 1" wide webbing sewn on alternating rows with 1" gaps between webbing rows. These rows would then have bartacks/stitchlines sewn into them at 1.5" intervals on center. Whatever was to be attached would be interwoven between alternate webbing rows between the bearing platform and the item to be attached. This interweaving is KEY to the security of the attachment - fail to do this and you risk premature separation of items.

Varied uses? well haw many way can you think of to use webbing channels? Loop 1/8th bungee through with a cordloc and you get a spiffy woobie carrier.

there are the "Natick" snap straps (licensed to EAGLE), paracletes SOFSTRAPS (which are licensed to TAG), Tactical Tailor MALICE clips (suprise here - Kifaru uses)

Hanzo
02-26-2006, 04:13 PM
If you think about it, it's really just an evolution from the ALICE clips.

On ALICE equipment, you have webbing and/or belts that are 2" wide instead of the PALS 1" variation. Even MALICE straps are just Modified (I could be wrong about the M) ALICE straps.

The big difference with PALS over ALICE is that it wasn't a one clip fits all type of attachment. E-tools for example flap all over the place when you attach them to an ALICE pack because it's a large item held in place by a small clip. With PALS, you can secure the...whatever, over the full size of the...whatever, so it's held on much more securely.