PDA

View Full Version : Any experience with Belleville military contract gore tex boots?

Aimless
02-25-2006, 12:11 PM
Unfortunately, due to my giant, mutant feet, I have to buy fairly wide boots.

Anybody have experience with these?
web page (http://www.lawboot.com/bootseries/700.htm)

I buy a lot of Dunham boots, but they come up short in waterproofing. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

iyaoyas467
02-25-2006, 12:31 PM
I've got a pair of Belleville 790 Desert's. I too have a wide foot and these things fit like a glove. They are the most comfortable boots I've ever owned and I use them all the time. Mine have Gore-Tex which is nice in wet weather, but they can get a little warm (in fact I think they are too warm for a desert boot).

Definately worth the money.

tim83
02-25-2006, 01:08 PM
Amen to that. They almost feel like slippers because that gortex acts like padding. Definetly go for it...and as far as I've experienced they're waterproof...then again I haven't gone swimming in them...just slopped in some pretty good size puddles of melted snow.

Aimless
02-25-2006, 02:22 PM
Thanks guys, I'll call them Monday. Do you guys coat them in addition to the Gore-tex?

I've never had much luck with regular leater boots, no matter whether I put silicon or that's beeswax stuff on them. I have usually ended up wearing those LL Bean rubber bottom/leather tops, or those rubber barn boots (which now come in camouflage, believe it or not) but they are awkward over long distances and do not give the best footing climbing in and out of trees.

tim83
02-25-2006, 03:26 PM
I don't treat them in addition to gore-tex, it's waterproof. But with the warm weather, you can get stuff from kiwi, it's in a red aerosol bottle w/ a black cap, I can't remember the exact name. It's suede protector or something like that but it worked great for me. I had a pair of bates that got soaked on day in the rain...right down to my toes. I sprayed them pretty heavily with this stuff and they were waterproof from then on...except for the nylon uppers. Doesn't change the color of them either. Good luck

medic16
02-26-2006, 11:21 AM
I felt that the belleville gortex boots to warm for a desert boot. I used the 790 without the gortex and found them to be the most comfortable boot that I have tried. They fit really well. I usually wear 11 reg in boots but in belleville I wear a 10 reg so you may want to check on the sizing.

Hanzo
02-26-2006, 11:42 AM
The desert version were the ones issued to me. It's been 3+ years and I still wear them on almost a daily basis.

By far the most comfortable boots I've ever owned. As for the gortex...well, they were waterproof when I first got them, but that didn't last too long. I figure I've put somewhere around 300 miles on them or more.

I personally don't find them too warm but then again, I'm comparing them to the all leather boots I've worn before them.

JasonB
02-26-2006, 12:14 PM
I have a pair of the 700's on right now and really do like them for hunting and hiking. Ask the people you are ordering them from, but speaking from experience(and from what a dealer told me) the black leather versions usually run 1/2 size smaller and that seems to hold true for the other contractors(Bates, Wellco) versions of this boot as well.

Sapper
02-27-2006, 09:51 AM
Guess you've got to try them on, because mine didn't run small. Both my Belleville 790s and my black Wellcos are in my normal size. They are the most comfortable boots I own.

JasonB
02-27-2006, 12:59 PM
Probably certain feet hit them a certain way /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif So far no one seems to have a problem with the overall comfort though.

footrat
02-27-2006, 02:02 PM
I've got 700's. I wear them at work every shift. They could use better insoles, but are otherwise more comfortable than most boots. I have found at this point that Bate's M9's are much more comfortable than ANYTHING else I've ever tried, though.

Nathan C
02-27-2006, 02:18 PM
I've got the new hot weather black issue Bellville's. Most comfortable black issue boot I've had. They ran the same size as normal.

DiabloDawg
02-28-2006, 07:10 AM
Goretex Bellevilles work great. DO NOT coat them in addition to the Goretex- all it does is seal them so your feet cannot breathe. The Goretex is great by itself.

footrat
03-01-2006, 10:26 PM
I think the "breathability" of Goretex is a crock. I've never worn anything Gore that I thought was actually letting moisture out. I don't wear them for that; I wear them to keep the moisture from getting IN.

fireballxl5
03-01-2006, 11:56 PM
footrat:
I came accross an article in a bushwalking (hiking) FAQ that claims that Goretex and the like only work in certain climates/conditions - it seems credible.

http://www.bushwalking.org.au/FAQ/FAQ_Rainwear.htm#Breath

They sure as heck rarely work well in my usual climate.

DiabloDawg
03-02-2006, 08:14 AM
All my goretex doesn't breathe real great either, so I wouldn't want to cut down on it any more.

jetfixr
03-05-2006, 12:40 AM
Got 3 pair. I wear them on flight line 10-12 hours a day. Don't know about sand but they are outstanding on tarmac and concrete.

doctorrich
03-05-2006, 02:32 AM
Jetfixr,

are you at Tinker? I did time there in 87-90 on the ramp.

jetfixr
03-15-2006, 12:17 AM
Doc,

Try not to go around the place. Tooooo many Sky Cops. Doing other Gummint contract work around here. Know a bunch of ex-Awackers though.

AbnMedOps
05-17-2006, 05:42 PM
I've been wearing the NON-Gore-Tex Belleville 390 Deserts for 3 months now.

- Sized low. If you normally wear 9 1/2, try Belleville size 9. Must try on, don't mail order.

- Pretty comfortable.

- HOT and non-breathing, even in a garrison office environment. My feet don't normally sweat much, but my socks (Smart Wool) are damp at the end of the day, unlike my previous boots (canvas OD jungles, black nylon jungles, and Desert Storm-era deserts. I speculate that the smooth-side-in leather doesn't allow much moisture to pass out. Also, the padded insole is not ventilated like the old "Do not boil" kind.

I have not done a serious march in these yet, but I will bring dry socks!

RalstonS
05-18-2006, 10:23 AM
I've got the 390's and they're just about my all time favorite boots. They do fit weird - usually I'm an 8R or even 8.5R. I wear 7.5W in these Belleville's.

I wore them on the Bataan Death March this year - wore one pair of Wigwam Ingenious socks, didn't change socks at all, and didn't get any blisters.