PDA

View Full Version : Savage Model 99

Bonasus
04-01-2008, 05:51 PM
Hey Guys,
In reviewing past threads, it looks to me that several of you have owned and used Savage model 99 lever-guns. There is some evidence in other Internet forums that Savage is considering a reintroduction of the model 99. For those of you who have owned the 99, what are your thoughts on handiness, weight, accuracy and portability? Thanks in advance.
Bonasus

Kevin B
04-01-2008, 07:36 PM
In modern materials that 250 savage could be made in a really nice light weapon. Very nice to point/wield. I haven't shot my 300 and 250 because I've needed some work done on them (inherited family guns) but I've handled them at length and they are really neat deer guns. For woodlots and brush hunting they'd be really neat. I have an aversion to lever actions with scopes but I'm sure scoped they were fine out to 300. I just think other cartridges, once you are looking at those ranges perform better in a similar package.

CCH
04-01-2008, 08:13 PM
Used ones have gotten pretty ridiculous price wise so I'd love to see a new one but not in the quasi-modern garb they tried several years ago weighing over eight pounds with an ugly monte carlo stock. If they could bring out something lightweight with that schnabel fore end, it would shoot to the top of my guns to buy list.

Jim N
04-01-2008, 08:27 PM
Get yourself a pre-clip, rotary magazine rifle. I have my dad's old .300 Savage - smooth, well balanced & surprisingly accurate. They are great old guns. Still looking for the .358 that I can afford. The .300 Savage does not really give up too much to the .308 Win. Can't load them to bolt-action straining levels in the 99's rear lock-up action but that is no great price to pay to hunt these fine old rifles.

elmbow
04-01-2008, 09:07 PM
Done right, I'd buy one, but I ain't holding my breath. I've been looking for a good brass rotary .308 specimen for a long time now without having to pay premium prices. IOW, a local pawnshop with a numbnut behind the counter. I'll keep looking.

Randy
04-01-2008, 09:55 PM
I was able to add the 300 to my accumulation a few years back in the type of transaction elbow describes. It came complete with a Lyman 4x scope in a tip-off/removeable Pachmeyer base and ring set-up. Also got a boat load of old ammo and boxes that currently reside on the shelf in the office. I started with new Winchester brass, 150gr Nosler Ballistic Tips and a variety of powder. Settled on an easy, middle of the road load that shoots well. Packed it 2 years ago to the wheat country and tagged a fat doe at about 140 yds. This year it goes to the whitetail woods KevinB speaks so highly of. To me it is a classic that belongs in my 'collection'. I'd dearly love to find a 250 in a take down model, but prices are outrageous. Perhaps a new model done in a classic, trim wood stock and blued steel would fill the bill.

The 300 I have has a long barrel, so good velocity out of mild loads. The gun is not as light as say a Mod 94 Winchester, but it still carries well and the rotary mag allows use of pointed bullets. I'd say grab one if you can:)

Bonasus
04-02-2008, 03:28 PM
I too think that, if they were to produce it with a slim schnabel forearm, and (for me) an english stock, of nice walnut, and deeply blue the metal, keep the rotary magazine, and make it in modern calibers such as .308, 260rem, 7mm-08 and .358win, it would sell well. At least, I would buy one. I have always liked lever guns and from what I can read, the 99 carries well, is well balanced, and accurate.

Master Aegidius
04-02-2008, 04:29 PM
I personally don't own any 99's. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

But my wife owns a Featherweight in .250 (circa 1930's), and my daughter (7) owns an "A" in .30 WCF (circa 1900). They do point nicely, are very slim, and very accurate. My dad gave my mom's 99 (.308, early 1970's) to my stepsister, but her husband doesn't think it is big enough to kill an antelope, so I am beginning to wheedle and whine (hopefully, $350.00, good condition). Because I don't own a 99 myself, yet.

As far as Savage coming out with a new one, don't hold your breath. That rumour has been floating around since they quit making them in the early '80's. The sad fact is that they cost too much to manufacture compared to a Browning BLR, which is already available in all of the .308 based cartridges, including .358, and as a take-down model.

But what the hey, while we are dreaming, how about they bring it back in a 3" action (as opposed to the 2.80, and throw into the list the .257 Roberts, the .30-40 Krag, the .35 WCF, the .405 WCF, the .444 Marlin, and the .410 with chokes.