PDA

View Full Version : How about a Kifaru fleece jacket?

medic16
02-19-2006, 11:29 AM
Mel or Patrick- Any thoughts to Kifaru getting some fleece jackets made up? I am sure alot of poeple here would definitly wear something like that.

eggroll
02-19-2006, 11:35 AM
don't think they'll have enough material for one in my size /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Nathan C
02-19-2006, 11:56 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by eggroll:
don't think they'll have enough material for one in my size /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif </div></div>Beefcake!!

Ya I need a fleece since they decided not to issue them to us, even though we brought them to Iraq, then shipped them back in the conex.

gruntinhusaybah
02-19-2006, 11:58 AM
what about a light fleece lined windbreaker? I would buy one in a heartbeat!

AbnMedOps
02-19-2006, 12:30 PM
How about Nomex fleece?

ThePrepared_com
02-19-2006, 12:57 PM
They definately need some kifaru accessories. A fleece or windbreaker would be cool. Some patches would be pretty dang cool too.

JasonB
02-19-2006, 02:02 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by AbnMedOps:
How about Nomex fleece? </div></div>That could be neat if it doesn't get too hot. Stephenson's Warmlite has clothing made of Nomex which is supposed to act as a vapor barrier.

gooseklr
02-19-2006, 02:24 PM
I would definately be in for one also. Something even like the Columbia titanium jacket would be nice. waterproof always a nice thing.

medic16
02-19-2006, 02:34 PM
I would like a windbloc fleece personally. I would say have a nomex version and a tactical version for operators and a plain one for lying around the house.

ZS Gunny
02-19-2006, 03:58 PM
I'd buy a Kifaru Fleece in a heartbeat if it resembled my beloved Polartek SPEAR fleece.

I'm certain Patrick and Mel can come up with something as good but with more additions and quality.

Put me down for 2 /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

DNW
02-19-2006, 04:55 PM
I'm in!

Some of my co-workers use the Massif Nomex fleece all the time, and seem to like it OK. I have worn the Hotshot flying with the doors off in a cold breeze and it is real warm. I have seen jackets and flightsuits that they have had for a few years and they have held up very well.

http://www.massif.com/nomex_fleece/index.php

A bit pricey, but maybe a group buy would get cheaper.

DiabloDawg
02-19-2006, 11:02 PM
I'm in, but have but one more request- a Kifaru Military baseball hat, perhaps a flexfit Underarmor? Either that or a Kifaru Military cool patch.

BrooklynBen
02-20-2006, 06:11 AM
Hey, if 'Patrick &amp; Co' were to make fleece products I'm confident they would be the best, as usual. But perhaps some of you might want to check out http://www.beyondfleece.com/ They make customized fleece products exactly the way any individual wants it. Sizing, material, pockets, reinforcements and a number of other things are all customized to order. Personally, I think it would be hard to come up with something better than what they already offer.

Nathan C
02-20-2006, 09:09 AM
Just got me one of the cold cap emgan sweater fleeces from there. Hopefully I ordered it right and it should dissapear under my BDU top. And if not I'll convince them it's a silk weight. They're not smart enough to know any better /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

I should be able to give it a test pretty soon after it comes. We have ranges scheduled for the next couple weeks, and right now it's been cold and wet since Fri.

Thanks for the link Ben, good stuff.

molsen
02-20-2006, 09:26 AM
I'm down for one (or two or three), and/or a hooded sweatshirt.

medic16
02-20-2006, 11:30 AM
BrooklynBen- I have looked at the beyond fleece site and have to agree they have some good offerings. Maybe a joint effort between Kifaru and beyond fleece could be a possibility. I would like a tan color fleece personnaly. Of coarse it would have to have a Kifaru logo. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Nathan C
02-20-2006, 11:46 AM
What's the new issue color fleece suppose to be? Foliage? Or is there even a fleece?

Rotor Strike
02-20-2006, 02:38 PM
I own a Beyond Fleece custom jacket in khaki that is righteous. Best jacket I've ever owned. I also own Nomex Fleece from Massif. The new Elements line of fireproof/waterproof/windproof clothing is badass for when I fly and can't use the Beyond Fleece. Either product is about the apex of what I can see. I cannot see how you will top them, so Kifaru shouldn't try. Stick to what they do best.

Dan M
02-20-2006, 03:32 PM
Check out Beyond Tactical (http://www.beyondtactical.com/tops.html) . I might have to get their tactical pants. I love how you can custom feature their products. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif
http://www.beyondtactical.com/images/CFTJ.jpg
http://www.beyondtactical.com/images/CWBDUPant.jpg

Mel
02-20-2006, 04:18 PM
Hey Dan, great link! I had no idea that Beyond Fleece had a tactical division. That Combat Desert Jacket looks sweet, especially when you consider all the options you can have.

Mel

rambler_wannabe
02-20-2006, 04:27 PM
looks like beyond is following another near and dear company in expanding into Tactical gear.

cool.

medic16
02-20-2006, 04:40 PM
I had no idea either that beyond fleece had a tactical site. I will definitly look at thier offerings. I still would like a fleece with a kifaru logo to wear around the house or around town.

Nathan C
02-20-2006, 04:41 PM
Ya how did you find the tactical link? It looks like it's cheaper on that side too,plus a discount, sweetness /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Aimless
02-20-2006, 05:13 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Mel:
Hey Dan, great link! I had no idea that Beyond Fleece had a tactical division. That Combat Desert Jacket looks sweet, especially when you consider all the options you can have.

Mel </div></div>No kidding! I e-mailed those guys months ago asking about adding a surefire pocket to a pair of their pants, and some other stuff and they never responded!! /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif

That's some really cool stuff /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

edit-Okay I shoulda called, but still....

Nathan C
02-20-2006, 06:19 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by medic16:
I had no idea either that beyond fleece had a tactical site. I will definitly look at thier offerings. I still would like a fleece with a kifaru logo to wear around the house or around town. </div></div>You could always work out some kind of licensing deal and have it embroidered. Maybe have the two make a special model that comes with the rhino embroidered.

rambler_wannabe
02-20-2006, 07:43 PM
PATRICK?

Beyond fleece does do custom logos. whataya say about a "kifaru special" jacket? It should work out a lot better than the first sleeping bags /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Dan M
02-20-2006, 09:01 PM
Mel,
I have to give credit to some post at "Get Off The X". Funny thing is, I went to that forum only minutes after reading about "Beyond Fleece" for the first time here at this thread. That desert jacket caught my eye too. I have a lot jackets and could use some pants. I am kind of kicking myslef, I just bought some Schoeller fabric pants off of Sierra Trading Post. Great deal, but now I want some custom pants in khaki!

So here is the dream custom outfit:
Ulfrotte Socks
Latham SF Boots
Beyond Fleece softshell pants/jacket
Lieger Gunbelt (foliage green of course)
Southwest Motorsports gloves (the new ones MM reviewed)
Kifaru ZXR
Kifaru ball cap

What do you think Mel?

DiabloDawg
02-21-2006, 07:28 AM
How much is that softshell jacket after the military discount?

Hanzo
02-21-2006, 08:10 AM
Anybody notice that on their BDUs the chest pockets are slanted inward?

Patrick
02-21-2006, 08:22 AM
Hello rambler, you've smoked me out with the direct question.

I'll respond by saying that We here at Kifaru need more information. There are two themes going on here: 1)Kifaru applies it's innovative skill at building a "new" jacket; 2) Kifaru makes available a "good" jacket built by someone else but with our logo on it--rather like our ball cap program.

We cannot now do number 1--just far too dedicated to packs (and working on sleeping bags). Number 2 scenario might be doable, but we would appreciate something of a consensus from you guys on what you're looking for (I see seven variations as of this moment). And who would, could, be the supplier of said jacket.

medic16
02-21-2006, 08:24 AM
I would say a joint effort between Kifaru and beyond fleece would be a good idea.

Hanzo
02-21-2006, 08:44 AM
Patrick,

I for one am more eager for the sleeping bags, but...if you were going to go ahead on this...

I like the beyond fleece, but just looking at the prices...I for one would not be willing to spend as much on a fleece as I would on a new Kifaru pack.

DNW
02-21-2006, 08:46 AM
I like the beyond fleece/tactical jacket. If they can do the embroidery that could be real easy. Would they do a group discount? Would they need one jacket spec-ed out or would they allow each order to be customized? Anyone have a good contact with them to find this out?

Because the sizing is so customizable, it would probably be easiest to have a joint deal, so you do the ordering through beyond fleece, but reference a group code that refers to the Kifaru Jacket.

My personal vote is for that Cold Fusion Tactical Jacket...

Aimless
02-21-2006, 08:53 AM
I would be interested in a jacket from Beyond Fleece through Kifaru, preferably one of their "tactical" line jackets. I think it would be best to stick with one design, rather than have a million permutations on the jacket, which makes it a nightmare for Kifaru (though I could be wrong as everything is pretty much custom with Beyond Fleece). I think if it is done this time of year a winter jacket will have less interest than a three season jacket. It might be worth asking if Beyond Fleece would also be willing to sell a matched set of pants, with no logo or anything, with jacket orders, so if someone wants it they can order it at the same time.

Personally I would just go along with whichever one Mel or Patrick like as they are in the business and know about this kind of stuff.

Nathan C
02-21-2006, 11:40 AM
I would envision something along the lines of what NRA and Surefire did. They made an "Official NRA home defense light" and gave a discount to NRA members. And of course the light had the NRA seal on it.

Me personally I find the Beyond Cold Fusion Jackets the most versatile for active individuals. It has high breathability, wind and water resistance, and is availible in a tactical version. Either way you can still modify the fit and pockets to your liking. Stitch the Rhino and your done.

As was mentioned before have a coupon code for Kifaru owners. Seems if they are willing to give a military/quanity discount, they could probably handle a networking deal like this.

Does this sound along the right lines?

Nathan C
02-21-2006, 01:01 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Nathan C:
What's the new issue color fleece suppose to be? Foliage? Or is there even a fleece? </div></div>Answered my own question today /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d179/flash3215/Cold_Weather_GEAR_ACUfleece.jpg

Michael Aos
02-21-2006, 02:28 PM
I really like that Combat Desert Jacket as well.

http://www.beyondtactical.com/images/CDJacket.jpg

rambler_wannabe
02-21-2006, 02:46 PM
Patrick-

Beyond is starting an affiliate program, if you think the product is worthy of putting the Kifaru name on (I see a lot of field reports!) you can link to them. The link pulls up a few special options. Like the beyond tactical items are regular beyondfleece with "option packages." If you could come up with a couple special kifaru-only features for the BF gear, that would be cool, but not absolutely necessary.

I don't think anyone here wants you to stop working on what you do best (or at least better than everyone else)

and yes it is very pricey gear, but you get what you pay for. Beyond and Filson are about the only outerwear left that are still sewn in the US.

DiabloDawg
02-22-2006, 06:14 AM
I like the jacket, but even after a group buy it'll still be what, $200? I think a simple fleece pullover or something for a first step would be best- I betcha most guys won't shell out the scratch for a $200 jacket, but would for a $40 fleece.

300wby
02-22-2006, 06:44 AM
Life is too short to buy cheap gear.
I'd gladly pay the $200 for a jacket that will stand up to use for many years. Thats a great looking jacket and worth every penny IMHO.

ThePrepared_com
02-22-2006, 07:18 AM
I would pay the $200+ for the Combat Desert Jacket. Maybe both options could be available. A jacket and a fleece? The fleece could be worn under the jacket for those -15 Wyoming days right?

NewGuy
02-22-2006, 07:35 AM
This is a great thread, I'm already comtemplating a Cold Fusion soft shell for this winter, maybe I'll purchase it around august when the temp. cools down, too bad its already warmin up for spring.

Dan M
02-22-2006, 09:04 AM
Patrick,
As a start, how about just the Kifaru Rhino embrodiered patch with velcro backing for $10? Then you can put it on the $40 fleece of your choice or the $200 desert softshell. Or on your "Don't Shoot Me" hat.

I am drooling over Beyond Tactical softshells though.

Dan M
02-22-2006, 09:07 AM
And that Army picture of the droopy foliage fleece with ACU velcro tapes and rank looks lame. There has to be a better way.

Hanzo
02-22-2006, 09:11 AM
It would help if the soldier they had wearing it was over the age of 12.

Patrick
02-22-2006, 10:05 AM
Hello guys--

Wow! Medic16's suggestion for a Kifaru jacket seems to have legs. OK, when y'all speak we listen. So here's what's happening on our end:

---Maggie and Mel are looking into patches, and a modestly priced "Hoodie" (Mel's term) sweat shirt thing.

---On the more technical side of this theme, there has been a quite coincidental development involving the fine chaps at Snugpak. Those guys know that both Mel and I are thoroughly devoted to our Snugpak Airpak jackets. So. Whilst visiting with us at our after-hours Suite at the SHOT Show they proposed a special make-up for Kifaru. Here's the deal:

---A just-for-Kifaru Airpak jacket that is olive on one side, reversing to sand on the other. Nobody else will have this color scheme.

---Kifaru logo on one breast, Snugpak on the other.

---$225.00 your cost.

If you've followed my writings on my Airpak (most recently on the Thread entitled "Snugpak, Montbell, and ID Rambling Coats" over on the Hunting Forum) you'll know that I view my Airpack as unequivocably my go-to all-around jacket. You can check the Airpak out at <a href="http://www.snugpakusa.com." target="_blank">http://www.snugpakusa.com (http://www.snugpakusa.com.).</a>

And so what do you guys think of this proposal? We have a chance to find out if we can actually find homes for a bunch of these one-of-a-kind jackets from Snugpak before we even order them up. Let's hear if you want 'em....

---

Nathan C
02-22-2006, 10:16 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Dan M:
And that Army picture of the droopy foliage fleece with ACU velcro tapes and rank looks lame. There has to be a better way. </div></div>Looks like some 70's felt bad fashion job. And the dude does look about as manly as a 14 year old cheerleader. Oh well at least they are moving in the right direction. Except my unit, that doesn't allow snivel gear. At least not seen. So when you see your OC/T's sucking, that's why.

molsen
02-22-2006, 11:11 AM
I'm in for both a "Hoodie" and the Kifaru/Snugpak jacket.

Michael Aos
02-22-2006, 11:21 AM
Personally I was more "stoked" about the Desert Softshell, but you can put me down for a Kifaru Airpak.

Mike

Mark
02-22-2006, 11:54 AM
I am in for both as well.

medic16
02-22-2006, 12:18 PM
I would be down for a kifaru snugpak special. A "hoodie" would be nice too.

Nathan C
02-22-2006, 12:34 PM
What about a beanie cap to go with the hoodie? Can't be a complete hoodlum uniform without the mean looking beanie /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Pedlar
02-22-2006, 12:49 PM
Patrick

I'd be up for aquiring one of the kifaru snugpak special but if that was to happen would it be possible for them to ship it directly to me in the UK to save the hassle of having to ship to the USA and then back to the UK

Aimless
02-22-2006, 01:19 PM
http://www.snugpakusa.com./detalle.php?id=155

Patrick
02-22-2006, 01:28 PM
Pedlar, I just spoke with Richard Lewis, Snugpak USA, and he says the UK fellows would be happy to send you one directly from the plant there. No problem.

Nathan C
02-22-2006, 01:51 PM
What's the difference between the Airpak and a Sleeka? Besides extra pockets.

DiabloDawg
02-22-2006, 02:06 PM
They look nice, but I don't think I need a jacket that I couldn't reasonably wear in public. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif Kifaru patches would be cool; that softshell looks pretty rockin', though.

300wby
02-22-2006, 02:19 PM
I have to say I'm far more excited about the Beyond Tactical jacket than I am about the Snugpak. I already have 2 jackets (patagonia, north face) that are far to similar to the Snugpak to make that jacket useful to me. Aside from that fact the Beyond Tactical jacket is just plain sweet looking, especially w/o the velcro patches. It's got style...
my $0.02

rambler_wannabe
02-22-2006, 02:23 PM
same here, I need a new shell more than the snugpak.

BUT, that snugpak color combo is so perfect I may have to get it, too.

DNW
02-22-2006, 04:06 PM
I would rather have the softshell too, but I am such a shameless gear junkie I would probably throw down for the snugpack as well... /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Nathan C
02-22-2006, 04:35 PM
I'm going to have to vote Beyond Softshell. Got enough regular jackets.

Rotor Strike
02-22-2006, 04:55 PM
I vote Beyond Fleece as well. I have had bad luck with Snugpak products in the past.

Forest522
02-22-2006, 05:41 PM
As shameless a gear junky as DNW, but much less expendable income! Nonetheless, my vote is for Beyond Fleece...Tan and/or a foliage green /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Forest522
02-22-2006, 05:47 PM
More specifically...the Desert Combat jacket is perfect. The Cold Blooded LE jacket would be a great mid priced choice considering the custom Kifaru logo may drive up the price. Just a thought...

Pedlar
02-23-2006, 11:38 AM
After looking at the items

The snugpak is very tempting and it will be a unique item to have however the softshell Desert Combat jacket from beyond seems to be more useful and practical for a lot more people.

Hell i'll probably end up buying both, damn kifaru being addictive, but overall preference has got to be for a quality softshell as they are extremely hard to get here in the UK

ThePrepared_com
02-23-2006, 12:01 PM
I would be happier about the Beyond Desert Jacket but will buy the Snugpack also /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Gizzmo
02-23-2006, 01:23 PM
I purchased a Beyond Fleece Cold Fusion in Desert Khaki. I ordered mine with pit zips and a zip off hood. It's a very well made jacket.

imported_airsupport
02-23-2006, 01:53 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Patrick:
Hello guys--

Wow! Medic16's suggestion for a Kifaru jacket seems to have legs. OK, when y'all speak we listen. So here's what's happening on our end:

---Maggie and Mel are looking into patches, and a modestly priced "Hoodie" (Mel's term) sweat shirt thing.

---On the more technical side of this theme, there has been a quite coincidental development involving the fine chaps at Snugpak. Those guys know that both Mel and I are thoroughly devoted to our Snugpak Airpak jackets. So. Whilst visiting with us at our after-hours Suite at the SHOT Show they proposed a special make-up for Kifaru. Here's the deal:

---A just-for-Kifaru Airpak jacket that is olive on one side, reversing to sand on the other. Nobody else will have this color scheme.

---Kifaru logo on one breast, Snugpak on the other.

---$225.00 your cost.

If you've followed my writings on my Airpak (most recently on the Thread entitled "Snugpak, Montbell, and ID Rambling Coats" over on the Hunting Forum) you'll know that I view my Airpack as unequivocably my go-to all-around jacket. You can check the Airpak out at <a href="http://www.snugpakusa.com." target="_blank">http://www.snugpakusa.com (http://www.snugpakusa.com.).</a>

And so what do you guys think of this proposal? We have a chance to find out if we can actually find homes for a bunch of these one-of-a-kind jackets from Snugpak before we even order them up. Let's hear if you want 'em....

--- </div></div>Just waiting till they are available online for purchase /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

ianq
02-23-2006, 04:17 PM
Wow, that Beyond Tac. Desert jacket looks NICE! Anyone in AZ happen to have one that I can look at... I am think Tax refund is comming....

medic16
02-23-2006, 05:19 PM
I think I am about to get a jacket from beyond fleece but I am willing to wait and see what Patrick and crew come up with. I also got my stash-it pouch today. It is an awesome pouch.
I also slapped the kifaru sticker on my file cabinet at work. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Nathan C
02-23-2006, 06:15 PM
My Kifaru sticker modified beanie. Embroidered, it'd probably look pretty good. Of course my career fields don't allow gotees:( , except on off time, but that is prerequisite for a good beanie look :p Oh and I'm much older than I look /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d179/flash3215/100_0236.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d179/flash3215/100_0228.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d179/flash3215/100_0232.jpg

Casket 1
02-23-2006, 06:29 PM
I think I'd buy a snugpak (or whatever) jacket and a hoodie, make that 2 hoodies. I think that tall blonde girl that always seems to be hanging around would want one too. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Any idea when you guys are going to put this togther?

Gary

Renee
02-23-2006, 09:22 PM
I would love a hoodie.

I would wear it everywhere. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Renee

Atrick-Pay
02-23-2006, 10:33 PM
Interested in a Beyond Fleece.
but mite go with a SnugPak, They sure get good Reviews /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

thewolverine
02-24-2006, 07:58 AM
I am a big fan of schoeller. I find it pretty bombproof. i also like the streamlined fit..it makes me feel (maybe in my head) that I move faster.

Innominandum
02-24-2006, 08:41 AM
This is just me, probably to the chagrin of many other happy Kifaru customers. I don't own or work for Kifaru, so it's not my decision to make. But my humble opinion is that slapping the Kifaru name on someone else's product is a bad idea.

The reason I say this is because when I received my Express pack a few days ago, it was apparent that a lot of thought had gone into the design. The knowledge, experience, and mentality necessary to design such a pack isn't all that common. Not to mention the no-holds-barred construction of the product.

Finding a company to work with that has the same values and mentality of the Kifaru crew would be pretty difficult. Kifaru would also have no control over the construction of the said fleece jacket.

In my opinion, if Kifaru is concentrating on packs and sleeping bags at the moment then that's the right path. When or if a jacket comes out, it should be done Kifaru-style or not at all. If Kifaru doesn't have the man-power to produce a jacket for awhile, maybe they could think about picking-up with someone who has immense expertise in that area.

If you guys like the Snugpak or Beyond stuff, why not just buy it with their respective names on the product?

Casket 1
02-24-2006, 09:34 AM
I think branding is totally appropriate with respect to commodities. Have you looked at PCís lately? News flash: HP, Gateway and Dell donít actually make PCís, or any of the components that go into PCís. They just tack a logo on a box and ship it out the door. Even the logoís are made by a third party vendor. :rolleyes:

Or to look at another way, ÖÖ.you donít buy a t-shirt that just says ďHaynesĒ on it, do you? If youíll note, the Kifaru hats arenít actually made by Kifaru.

If Patrick and Mel say the snugpak jacket is good to go, Iíll accept their recommendation. I donít know too much about Patrick, but Mel and I tend to have the same taste in such things. And I really do like Kifaru, so Iíd wear their logo around anytime.

Thatís just my $.02 on the subject.

Gary

Hanzo
02-24-2006, 09:58 AM
To be honest, I'm probably not going to shell out $200 for a jacket so my opinion really doesn't matter, but...

Didn't Kifaru put their name on a product by another vendor awhile back and then have those relations go down the crapper pretty badly?

I'm with Innominandum on this, keep it in house.

molsen
02-24-2006, 10:11 AM
If you want Kifaru to keep this completely in house, then don't expect a jacket for quite a while.

Remember what Patrick said above:
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I'll respond by saying that We here at Kifaru need more information. There are two themes going on here: 1)Kifaru applies it's innovative skill at building a "new" jacket; 2) Kifaru makes available a "good" jacket built by someone else but with our logo on it--rather like our ball cap program.

We cannot now do number 1--just far too dedicated to packs (and working on sleeping bags). Number 2 scenario might be doable, but we would appreciate something of a consensus from you guys on what you're looking for (I see seven variations as of this moment). And who would, could, be the supplier of said jacket. </div></div>Let Kifaru do what they do best, which is packs (and soon to be sleeping bags). Patrick and Mel know what they are doing, and if they endorse the Snugpak, then you can bet your ass it is good-to-go. If you still want to go with the Beyond Tactical line, then by all means do so. But asking Kifaru to basically stop what they are doing and start something completely new and different will only complicate things more for Kifaru and push their current production and project even farther behind, and people already complain about the wait too much as it is. Why add more fuel to the fire? Hell, no one can agree on which jacket from Beyond Tactical they like the most as it is.

Kevin B
02-24-2006, 10:54 AM
Couple things, 1. Patrick vouches for the air pack from his own rigorous use. IE he's qaulified that it meets his expectations to carry his label that should be good enough for anyone here. That holds whether you do or do not 100% agree with the value of said prdouct. There's no perfect coat anymore than perfect pack, they're all trade offs.

2. Kifaru made no association with the sleeping bag maker. That maker made a product to meet the niche needs/demands of kifaru USERS. The informal use of the kifaru name was associated with the origin of the product, Kifaru users. The product never carried a Kifaru label and the association was collegial but not official. I know, I have one of the bags. The fall out was almost unrelated to the bag's themselves and entirely reltated to the personal behavior of an individual. I'd submit that the current situation and the past one are uncomparable.

Hanzo
02-24-2006, 10:59 AM
Kevin,

I was unaware that it's wasn't officially Kifaru...ma' bad.

ThePrepared_com
02-24-2006, 11:20 AM
I dont see a problem with sticking the logo on a piece of clothing made outside the shop. I see it like the T-Shirt thing posted above. Just because Glock sticks their logo on a shirt and the shirt falls apart in the dryer doesnt mean my gun is going to fall apart. Nor would I make the connection with anything else. People buying the Kifaru calaboration jacket know who the original manufacturer is. They would associate that product with that manufacturer.

Besides, who are we to judge what is and isnt a sound business decision for Kifaru. These guys obviously know exactly what they are doing. Otherwise we would be on this forum having this conversation.

Aimless
02-24-2006, 11:28 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Casket 1:

If Patrick and Mel say the snugpak jacket is good to go, Iíll accept their recommendation. I donít know too much about Patrick, but Mel and I tend to have the same taste in such things. And I really do like Kifaru, so Iíd wear their logo around anytime.

Thatís just my $.02 on the subject.

Gary [/QB]</div></div>I agree.

medic16
02-24-2006, 05:24 PM
I believe that if you had a joint venture between Kifaru and say beyond fleece an interesting jacket could be born. The people on this board can chime in with different things they would like to see in a jacket. Also, with the experience of Mel and Patrick on board they maybe be able to offer suggestions that beyond fleece never thought of before. Some people are going to say you can only do so much when designing a jacket. The only thing holding you back is your imagination.

molsen
02-24-2006, 07:41 PM
It goes without saying that a Kifaru/Beyond Fleece collaboration would creat an awesome jacket, but the problem would be what jacket and what features to decide on. Everyone wants what they want, and unfortunately, no one can agree. How many choices have been thrown out in this thread? More than I can remember off hand.

Patrick, who probably goes out and tests this stuff more than anyone else in this thread, gave his opinion. He's been doing this for longer than most of us have been alive. I trust his opinion when it comes to these types of things.

If people can't decide what they want, then perhaps the best thing to do is just make up some Kifaru patches and sell those, that way you can put the patch on whatever you want. If Patrick likes and trusts Snugpak, then that's good enough for me. If you don't trust them, then get what you think is better at Beyond Fleece or someplace else.

300wby
02-24-2006, 10:15 PM
I donít think that the focus of this discussion has been to decide on which options to select on any particular jacket. Basically we have people throwing out ideas and other folks attaching themselves to the piece of gear that would work for them. As I mentioned earlier, I have 2 jackets so similar to the Snugpak that it would truly be a wasted purchase for me. On the other hand I really like Beyond Tactical because it fills a niche that for me is currently void. Not to mention that the Beyond is a great looking jacket that I would be able to use often in my day to day professional life. (more usable days in the gear)

I donít believe it's fair to look at this particular thread and count yay's and nay's for either garment.

Myself, I'm simply glad to see a response from the powers that be. As it stands it really should come as no surprise that Patrick and Co. were ahead of this movement. He has a garment that from the sound of it is basically ready to deploy. That is great service and studious attention to the customers. However for me this particular garment, Snugpak, doesnít fill a gear void.

As far as simply producing a Kifaru patch that you can slap onto any gear you want, Iím VERY against that. Hell thatís what stickers are for. I thought the idea here would be to have a great jacket(s) that sports the Kifaru logo in part as a tribute to our love/faith in Kifaru as well as give us an opportunity to own a quality garment and therefore kill 2 stones with 1 bird.

Am I wrong here?......

Mel
02-24-2006, 11:09 PM
Hey guys, sorry I haven't responded to this thread yet, but I'm just now on the road to recovery after being laid flat out on by back for the last 3 days with a nasty strain of flu. I was able to answer a couple e-mails, and check the boards a couple times, but have kinda been in and out of focus the past few days. This has definately been an interesting thread to say the least! It's late right now, but tomorrow I'll put up a detailed post letting you know some of our thoughts on the matter, what we've been up to, and where we're headed. Stay tuned.

Mel

akfirecop
02-25-2006, 12:02 AM
Im IN...for whatever...Show Me The Kifaru!!

militarymoron
02-25-2006, 10:17 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Mel:
I'm just now on the road to recovery after being laid flat out on by back for the last 3 days with a nasty strain of flu. </div></div>glad you're feeling better, mel. did you remember what i told you to do and take your pack off before getting some bedrest? makes it more comfy that way. :p
cheers,
MM

Mel
02-25-2006, 10:58 AM
Well, I'm back and ready to address all the issues in this thread. Patrick and I had a long conference this morning to come up with a final solution, and it wasn't easy, but decisions do have to be made at some point. I'll first let you know what we have decided on, and then get into the reasons for that decision. We are going ahead on the joint venture with Snugpak and Lewis International, to offer a Snugpak Airpak jacket in Olive/Sand, which will be a Kifaru exclusive. It will have a Kifaru label on one side, and a Snugpak label on the other side. Also, we will be offering a Kifaru hoodie in khaki, and velcro backed embroidered Kifaru patches. We are passing on the Beyond Fleece idea for the time being, even though that's kinda what this thread was all about in the begining. Now for some explanations.

First off, is the Beyond Fleece issue, and why we chose to not pursue that option. The logistics of putting together a Beyond Fleece program looked like it could turn into a nightmare of sorts. Which jacket to settle on? What color to settle on? What options to offer? Just mix and match those three topics, and you can come up with a zillion choices. If you look back at this whole thread, the one thing I think you can agree on is that no one could agree on one version. Another thing we considered was the fact that neither Patrick or I have any experience with Beyond Fleece products, and it's kinda hard to endorse something that you haven't actually used. I'm sure that Beyond Fleece's gear is probably great stuff, but the fact remains that we haven't used it yet. I'm impressed enough from the info on their site, that I plan on getting one of their jackets for myself to try out, which leads me to the next observation. I think you guys that are really wanting a Beyond Fleece jacket, will still be buying one, even without a Kifaru label on it. You can't really compare the softshells with the Airpak, as it really is apples and oranges. The softshells like Beyond Fleece are really a more technical type jacket, where as the Airpak has a broader range of uses, which I'll explain later.

Now, I'll address the Airpak jacket issue. One of the compelling reasons we want to offer this jacket, is that Patrick and I have extensive use with the Airpak. I've been using an Airpak for over 5 years (almost daily), and I turned Patrick on to the Airpak about a year and a half ago. Patrick has been able to use his in Colorado winter snow conditions, something I haven't been able to do out here in Cali. He claims it's a great active use jacket that worked well from 50 degrees down to 0 degrees, without overheating. I have found it to be the best all around, everyday type jacket that I have owned, and I've owned many a jacket, being the gear junkie that I am. Out here in Cali, on those cool summer nights, I'll wear just a t-shirt and my Airpak. When it get cold out here, I just put on a fleece or hoodie, and throw the Airpak on over that, and I'm GTG. Diablo Dawg mentioned he would like something to be able to wear in public places. My Airpak is Olive, and I wear it everywhere I go (supermarket, mall, all around town, hiking, etc...), and I NEVER have gotten weird looks or comments because of the color, and I live in Kalifornia, land of the liberals and greenies! The Airpak works great over a softshell, or under a smock or hardshell.

Another reason for offering the Airpak is our ongoing relationship with Richard Lewis of Lewis International (the sole Snugpak importer), and Darrin Burrell of Snugpak in the UK. These are both honorable men and great guys to deal with, and who stand behind their product. We started discussion of this project at the SHOT Show with them while they were up in the Kifaru suite. We decided on the Olive/Sand combo for the Airpak, as it was something they didn't currently offer in that model. I have the only Olive/Sand Airpak in existance, which I've had for over a year. It really is a striking color combo, and I'll try and take some pics of mine this weekend and get them posted here on the board. I'll take some of the Airpak over my Arcteryx softshell and under my SASS smock. So, this version of the Snugpak Airpak in Olive/Sand, would be a Kifaru exclusive, available nowhere else, and it will have our label on it /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif .

I'll give you a quick rundown on some of the features of the Airpak. It is reversable with 6 zippered pockets. There is a drawcord in the collar and in the hem, so you can easily seal the top an bottom to keep it airtight. There is an excellent lightweight hood that stores in the collar to put on in windy conditions. With a beanie on underneath and this hood, you are GTG in cold windy conditions. Inside one of the sleeves is a drawcord that is used when you stuff the jacket into it's own sleeve for storage. It stuffs down very small. Also, it comes with the traditional Brit thumbholes in ends of the sleeves. All these features create a jacket with a very broad range of uses.

Well, I've gone on enough for now, and I reckon it's time for comments and questions from you all.

Mel

Jan
02-25-2006, 11:36 AM
Hey,
really good writeup! I think this should explain the situation well. If you and Patrick are liking your Airpaks, then they must be good to go. Now, to the really important questions regarding this topic:
- when wearing the Snugpak Kifaru special, will I be unable to ever smile again when having my picture taken and also, will I be able to grow a cool beard like you? /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif see pic here: http://www.kifaru.net/MG_XTL.htm
- and on a more serious note: what about us poor folks abroad. Any chance of having Snugpak UK give us a favorable deal on getting this stuff to Germany through their German distributor or would we get raped on shipping and customs charges again?
Thanks for the help! Later, Jan

Aimless
02-25-2006, 11:37 AM
Having dealt with numerous large group buys on another board, anything with a ton of options often turns into a disaster. Anything other than "we will sell you X for $ xxx.xx" is a disaster in the making.

And I have to admit that I already purchased a set of Beyond Fleece's bdu pants, so at least in my case, Mel called that one.

Anyway- a snugpak is good from 50-0!!?? Even with a quality fleece that's an impressive claim. It takes some pretty serious clothing to handle 0, particularly with any kind of wind.

How wind resistant and water repellant is the snugpack? How long will it stay dry in a regular rainstorm (ie not a typhoon or blizzard) without a shell, or do you really need a shell with it if you're going to be out in the woods all day?

Also how small does it pack down, will it fit in a long pocket?

molsen
02-25-2006, 04:16 PM
Mel,

I think your's and Patrick's decisions are for the best for Kifaru. As I've said before, I trust your opinions when it comes to these things since you two have WAY more experience than I do. I'm looking forward to the Airpack and the hoodies when they are released.

DNW
02-25-2006, 04:18 PM
I'm in.

That shell material Paratex, is that like Pertex?

I have an Arktis windshirt made of Pertex, and I think North Face uses it for some bag covers, real good stuff.

Where do I sign...

ThePrepared_com
02-25-2006, 06:10 PM
Any guess on a release date?

300wby
02-26-2006, 12:32 AM
I have to say that the problems associated with choices and options are really overblown. There are really 2 versions of jacket to choose from and the only option for either of those that I would consider mandatory is the pit zips. The issue of having too many options available to keep the project controllable is mute when you keep it simple.
Something I found curious was the virtual freeze in posts after the decision was posted.

DNW
02-26-2006, 06:25 AM
I agree that the issues of choices is overblown, Beyond does custom work, so all their orders are unique. I think you just identifiy one or two Jackets that Kifaru identifies, let people customize to their hearts content, then embroider a rhino. I think limiting the choice to one or two jackets (in the Tactical line) would be appropriate.

That said, its not a democracy, and Mels point that they had no experience with Beyond is quite valid.

ThePrepared_com
02-26-2006, 07:14 AM
I think the main point here is that Mel and Patrick dont have any experience with the Beyond stuff. However, they have both used the Snugpack stuff and endorse it heavily. They want to make something available that they know is good.

While the Beyond jacket looks great I'll go with the advice of Mel and Patrick and give the Snugpack jacket a try. Its only money, you can always get more /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Patrick
02-26-2006, 11:22 AM
Hello men,

Now that we have decided our course on this jacket issue, at least for the present, it looks as if some questions need answering:

---Jan, you'll have to ask Mel about how he manages that ferocious scowl and the distinguished beard.... And on the more serious note, we'll have to ask the Snugpak guys about getting you one of these to you there in Germany as efficiently as possible; I'm betting they'll help us get you taken care of nicely.

---Aimless, the Airpak is simply better than fleece. The Snugpak folks use an excellent insulation from Switzerland between an inner and outer shell that is very lightweight. The overall thickness is about that of top quality fleece, which means the garment is not OVERWARM for actual activities (as compared to being stationary). But, unlike fleece, the Snugpak is lighter, and WINDPROOF to boot. It is a new departure, and a big improvement. Of additional importance in the very large "range" of temperature the jacket accomodates are a number of on-target features. The jacket is tops at eliminating leaks--from within or without; drawstrings at the bottom and the top seal this jacket up like Fort Knox. The collar is high enough to seal off the lower face/chin from cold and wind. The bottom is sculpted perfectly. The pull-out ultralight hood is very light but very effective at windproofing. Assuming that I put on gloves and a hat at some point, I have used this jacket many times down to zeroF. I bought it a bit large so that I can wear additioanl insulation beneath it; it is therefore my "outer layer" jacket for three whole seasons here in the Rockies, and I have used it many times all day in far below zero conditions.

The jacket is seriously water "resistent"; I have use it in wet snow, drizzle, and light rain and never been wet thru to the inside. I wouldn't call it waterPROOF, though, and so in summer a rain layer is still neccessary. Excellent for the entire rest of the year though, as I've indicated, which is very fine performance. And value. Combine all this superior performance with reversable good looks for town/travel and the whole package is without question the most all-around useful garment I've ever owned.

It will fit into a LongPocket, yes.

That's it for now. Holler if y'all have any more questions. It is rare that Kifaru sells OPG--"other people's gear". We have traditionally only done it when we actually ENDORSE the item(s) enthusiastically. The Turtle Fur hats and the Manzella gloves are the only OPG's we've ever purveyed. They are superb gear--which is why we go to the trouble of handling them; we aren't really Retailers like REI/Cabelas and so forth, and don't have time to be, in point of fact. The Airpak jacket is our third OPG. It has to be good. And it is.

medic16
02-26-2006, 02:24 PM
Patrick- Any time frame on when these jackets may become available? I have the Manzella gloves and have to say they are pretty nice.

Nathan C
02-26-2006, 02:36 PM
Will the embroidery be subdued for those of us trying to stay half way in uniform?

Forest522
02-26-2006, 03:18 PM
Great review of the Airpak from Mel and Patrick. As always, many of us will defer to your [both Mel and Patrick of course] wisdom and experience with a particular product. I look forward to this latest addition to my Kifaru goodies. Olive/sand sounds great!

Patrick
02-26-2006, 07:16 PM
Answers--

---Nathan C, the Snugpak fellows do an elegantly subdued embroidered logo in the same colors as the jacket; ours will follow suit. You should be fine.

---medic16, I just can't say when yet; perhaps we'll have a target date for Orders/delivery in a few days.

My review, above, failed to mention that I've grown fond of the cuff thumbholes on these jackets. When it's really cold these lessen the considerable heat loss that can occur at one's vulnerable wrists. There are probably some other features I've missed. Y'all will find 'em, I'm betting.

Dan M
02-26-2006, 07:48 PM
Patrick:
The logos. When you say 'Kifaru on one side Snugpak on the other', is it one on the olive side and one on the sand side? At first I was thinking left and right, but the more I think about it, the more I think you meant one logo on each side. Which side will the Kifaru logo be on?

I have fondled Mel's Airpak once or twice and it is a fine jacket. Very versatile.

Patrick
02-26-2006, 07:54 PM
Dan, it should be both logos on both sides. Snugpack on one breast/Kifaru on the other of both the tan and the olive exposures.

thewolverine
02-27-2006, 06:08 PM
Count me in on a jacket. I spent 3 years in North Yorkshire, UK, so if the Brits (and PAtrick and Mel) say it is GTG, I am on it..like a Hobo on a Ham Sandwich!

akfirecop
02-27-2006, 10:42 PM
Im in...

Innominandum
03-01-2006, 12:12 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And I have to admit that I already purchased a set of Beyond Fleece's bdu pants, so at least in my case, Mel called that one.</div></div>Can you let us know what you think? My clothes are becoming threadbare, Crye won't ship to Canada, so I've been eyeing these up for awhile.

Aimless
03-01-2006, 03:19 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Innominandum:
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And I have to admit that I already purchased a set of Beyond Fleece's bdu pants, so at least in my case, Mel called that one.</div></div>Can you let us know what you think? My clothes are becoming threadbare, Crye won't ship to Canada, so I've been eyeing these up for awhile. </div></div>Sure.

Joe at SKD might ship to Canada. I think he is selling regular bdu type multi-cam, but if you aren't wearing body armor it might be more practical.

http://www.skdtac.com/category.asp?CATEGORYID=231

If there is a market in smuggling multicam across the border I could use a quick buck. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Aimless
03-01-2006, 03:20 AM
I'm in for a snugpack jacket also.

BrooklynBen
03-01-2006, 06:54 AM
PLEASE!!! A few US extended sizes? Like tall's? (Yanks tend to come in larger sizes than the Brits.) /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

I'll take one of each IF they aren't EU cut/sized.

Ubique
03-01-2006, 09:39 AM
Mel
Happy if we can get them direct from snugpak in the UK.
Got to persuade myself that my sleeka lite needs replacing

Wolverine..
'Count me in on a jacket. I spent 3 years in North Yorkshire, UK, so if the Brits (and PAtrick and Mel) say it is GTG, I am on it..like a Hobo on a Ham Sandwich!'
Thats where I grew up, 16 years, my grandad used to take me out on the N Yorks moors from when I was 6

ThePrepared_com
03-01-2006, 11:54 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by BrooklynBen:
PLEASE!!! A few US extended sizes? Like tall's? (Yanks tend to come in larger sizes than the Brits.) /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

I'll take one of each IF they aren't EU cut/sized. </div></div>Good point, I would definately need something in a tall.

Rotor Strike
03-01-2006, 01:39 PM
Question:

Will the snugpak come with the backwards zipper that the Queen's own seem to favor?

Patrick
03-01-2006, 04:09 PM
Hi all, here's an update from coversation with the Snugpak guys today:

---Ben, we will be able to provide sizes up thru XXL, and I can tell you that the sizes run true to ours on this side of the pond.

---Rotor Strike, on the zipper, you'll be pleased to know that you can have BOTH the "wrong side of the road" AND the "right side"...depends on which side is the "outside" at any given time.

And here are some prognostications on timeline: About two weeks for us here at Kifaru to receive our Sample; assuming we approve it, we will then photograph it and put the images up here on the website (with plenty of notice on this Board), and begin taking Orders. In about eight weeks (from now) we should have a goodly supply of jackets here in Colorado and will start shipping them to you.

Purchasers in the UK and on the Continent will receive their jackets directly from Yorkshire.

BrooklynBen
03-01-2006, 05:29 PM
Patrick - TALL - (Just for 'giggles', why not see how much they would charge for just 2" added in length. It couldn't break that many needles /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif )

Mel
03-01-2006, 06:29 PM
Hey Ben, Patrick actually talked to Richard Lewis from Snugpak today, and asked about "talls". Richard stated that Snugpak didn't do tall sizes. But there shouldn't be any worries there, as the Airpak is a longer jacket, not waist length, and has a longer tail in back. Check out the XTL page, and you can see an Airpak on me, where I have the XTL over my shoulder in a go-bag mode. It's definately not a short jacket. Unfortunately, no tall sizes will be possible from Snugpak.

Mel

Casket 1
03-01-2006, 07:54 PM
Any idea when we could get a hoodie?

Gary

Mel
03-01-2006, 08:22 PM
Hey Gary, we're working on the hoodie deal now. It will be a Champion brand hooded sweatshirt in Khaki, with the printing in probably OD or Sage. Big emblem on the back, and small one on chest. We'll probably have the hoodies before the jackets. Should be able to give an update soon with more details. Stay tuned.

Mel

thewolverine
03-01-2006, 09:02 PM
Ubique,
Cheers, mate..BEAUTIFUL country!

Casket 1
03-02-2006, 10:39 AM
Thanks Mel!

Gary

NewGuy
03-03-2006, 06:59 PM
Hmmm....

Any thought on perhaps providing a hoodie with some sort of moisture transport feature? Like coolmax material for sweat wicking, so that it can be worn as an inner base layer. Dunno about Champion, but the mere name of it seems to indicate 100% cotton. Any further details on the hoodie for us poor bums?, lol.

Mel
03-03-2006, 08:53 PM
No technical, inner base layer, moisture transport, hoodie goodie /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif . This is going to be just your standard hooded sweatshirt with the Kifaru logo on it. I believe it's a 50/50 cotton and polyester blend.

Mel

Michael Aos
03-05-2006, 02:25 PM
Keep us posted. I was thinking I'd like to take the jacket camping on 5/25.

Mike

Teacher in CA
09-14-2006, 10:30 AM
Raising this thread from the dead... I just ordered that 5.11 fleece jacket on clearance for $49.99 from LA Police gear..

nut_sak_himself
09-14-2006, 07:33 PM
kifaru needs to do an arc'teryx callaboration!

Aimless
09-15-2006, 03:51 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by nut_sak_himself:
kifaru needs to do an arc'teryx callaboration! </div></div>In multi cam /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif