PDA

View Full Version : Army Soldiers: Nominate Kifaru Gear for Procurement

Dan M
02-16-2006, 05:36 PM
Just on general principle, I thought those of us Kifaru addicts in the Army should at least let PEO Soldier know that there really is better gear we want:
PEO Soldier - SEP Nomination (http://peosoldier.army.mil/sepform.asp)

The other thing I wanted to add was that units should be able to use the Defense Logistics Agency Prime Vendor Program as another way to acquire Kifaru products that your unit needs.
Prime Vendor Link (http://www.ads-primevendor.com/primevendor/Default.htm)

I have not tried it myself, but when I was the S4 for my battalion I looked into it (project overcome by mobilization for OIF). If someone asks whether you are "authorized" this gear, I would refer them to the CTA 50-900 for LIN F39903 FIELD PACK: LARGE SIZE WITH INTERNAL FRAME
(the old alpine/Lowe pack) and tell them the Kifaru pack is a substitute. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif
I would say most Kifaru packs meet the criteria of "FIELD PACK: LARGE, INTERNAL FRAME

Nathan C
02-16-2006, 05:44 PM
Submitted.

ThePrepared_com
02-16-2006, 06:55 PM
Woh! Wait a second here guys! Don't be slowing down our orders with some big military contract! /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

I'm only kidding. I think it would be great for the soldiers to get some quality Kifaru gear. Even if that means waiting much MUCH longer for any order I place.

nut_sak_himself
02-16-2006, 07:12 PM
hell yeah! you guys deserve the best!

medic16
02-16-2006, 08:03 PM
I convinced my last unit to purchase 15 maurader bags to use as aid bags for our medics. We also ordered side pouches too. Mel helped with the whole process. I was lucking to have a good battalion commander who loved us medics /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif but there is a sad ending to this story. We actually ordered the bags kinda late in our deployement in Iraq and the unit replacing us ended up getting the packs. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif It was no fault of kifaru it was just us not ordering them soon enough. At least I already have a marauder.

Dan M
02-16-2006, 09:05 PM
Medic16, what a bummer. All that hard work. But at least someone put them to good use.

Mel
02-16-2006, 10:47 PM
Hey Dan, thanks for putting that up. I didn't even know a form like that existed, where anyone in the Army could fill it out and submit. I definately need to research this more.

Mel

Hanzo
02-17-2006, 06:17 AM
I heard a rumor that when the Marine Corps was looking for a new pack that one of the companies they looked at was Kifaru. Is that true?

Patrick
02-17-2006, 10:28 AM
Hello Hanzo--

We were invited to participate in the solicitation process (or whatever it's called) but withdrew because of the very short time frame for submitting a pretty large number of samples. We were an even smaller outfit then.

Hanzo
02-17-2006, 04:06 PM
Makes sense. Too bad though, that would've been sweet had it been possible.

DiabloDawg
02-17-2006, 06:19 PM
Don't even get me started, Hanzo. I still froth at the mouth when I talk about it or look at the ILBE in my closet.

Hanzo
02-17-2006, 06:34 PM
Hahaha, I'll bet.

How lenient is the average Marine command as far as carrying Kifaru packs? You've obviously got your Scout, but what about a larger pack?

duckear
02-19-2006, 11:11 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by medic16:
I convinced my last unit to purchase 15 maurader bags to use as aid bags for our medics. We also ordered side pouches too. Mel helped with the whole process. I was lucking to have a good battalion commander who loved us medics /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif but there is a sad ending to this story. We actually ordered the bags kinda late in our deployement in Iraq and the unit replacing us ended up getting the packs. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif It was no fault of kifaru it was just us not ordering them soon enough. At least I already have a marauder. </div></div>I never saw any of the stuff I ordered for my clinic during my AD days.

On the flip side, we would have tens of thousands of dollars of stuff show up that the previous clinic chief had ordered. I would always act bent out of shape while signing for it, bitching about having to wait so long for it etc, and inside, wondering what the heck I was signing for!!!

medic16
02-19-2006, 11:23 AM
I was a little ticked that my guys were not going to get them. I was hoping this was going to be a nice gift for thier service as platoon medics in Iraq. I have never worked with a better group of medics as them.

gruntinhusaybah
02-19-2006, 11:57 AM
Hanzo, "How lenient is the average Marine command as far as carrying Kifaru packs? You've obviously got your Scout, but what about a larger pack?" that is complicated, at least in my experience, when I got to my unit they wouldn't let us use anything that was not issue, not 3-point slings, nothin' now the same unit is buying us some at least decent gear, and is allowing Kifaru packs, I dont know of anyone in my unit using a large Kif, but Im taking a marauder, it really just depends on the CO
Semper Fi

Hanzo
02-19-2006, 12:31 PM
Grunt, good to know.

Some things pissed me off like not allowing 3 point slings. We had a guy get his ass chewed for wearing an OD under armor shirt as his skivvie shirt because the uniform regs state that it must be a COTTON shirt. They never would've noticed except that he took off his blouse for a work detail.

Significantly different gear I can kinda accept, but things like a sling...they help the Marines perform their tasks and there's no downside, why not?

Lone Piper
02-22-2006, 06:06 PM
Done, done and DONE! Thanks for the link Dan!