PDA

View Full Version : Help me fit an eggroll onto my EMR

ZS Gunny
02-16-2006, 09:47 AM
Help fellas, I've got a bit of a problem that's going to be difficult to explain. I'm using a Thermorest Closed Cell Regular. Long story short, I"m having a hell of a time getting the thing to fit on my pack. First off it rolls up large, think the circumfrence of a basketball. Can I compress it any more than it already is? How do you keep yours in place and where does it go on your pack?

For reference I've got an EMR with the XTL top and an E&E docked on the outside (which catching the XTL's snowcollar on occasion)

Thanks guys.

gronk
02-16-2006, 10:24 AM
Forgive me if I'm asking a really obvious question, but have you let all the air out first? I loosen the valve, then roll it tightly as possible. Tighten the valve. If you're like I am and like to get it really small, unroll it again then re-roll it and when it starts to squeeze all the air into the remaining part, loosen the valve again. Sorry if you've already done this, but a basketball sized parcel seems largish.
G

ZS Gunny
02-16-2006, 10:33 AM
This is a closed cell pad (which I should've mentioned before). Ergo, no valve.

Did I get the wrong thing? It would be a snap to return to Campmor in exchange for proper model.

Hanzo
02-16-2006, 10:34 AM
Put it up top under the XTL and then tighten the XTL down onto it.

http://www.kifaru.net/images/XTL_EMR2.jpg

ZS Gunny
02-16-2006, 10:39 AM
Hanzo,

Gotcha. I was having trouble with the thing always ending up lopsided while I hike. Guess I'm not cinching it down tight enough (hell I doubt I'll break a strap)

Hanzo
02-16-2006, 10:43 AM
Gunny,

Cinching it down will help, but also keep in mind what it's resting on. That will need to be flat or soft for it to contour to.

If that doesn't work out for you, get a couple cinch strap and just strap it to the outside, like on the bottom the way we did with ALICE packs.

ZS Gunny
02-16-2006, 10:50 AM
Hanzo,

I think that was a big problem. I found that if I leave the snowcollar of my EMR open, it will fit a little better but not much. I did buy a bungee system so I might just have to lash it to the outside or do like you mentioned and hang it off of the cargochair attachments. Thanks for the help champ.

Hanzo
02-16-2006, 10:52 AM
You wouldn't happen to be near Southern California would you? I've got some of the old cinch straps for use with my ALICE that I will soon, never need again. They're yours if you want them. I'll send them too, but if you're not in this area and you've got a surplus store nearby, that'd be easier.

ZS Gunny
02-16-2006, 11:24 AM
Hanzo,

I need to update my profile. I'm in East Texas at present. I'll pick up a few from the surplus store down the road. Thanks for the offer and help.

Nathan C
02-16-2006, 12:42 PM
Why you trying to get Eggroll in your pack? He's not ET or Yoda size. I guess you could stow him there, then if you needed a field repair....

nut_sak_himself
02-16-2006, 12:43 PM
i would most definitely return it!!! since its going to be getting warm soon i would go with a closed cell pad as the inflateable ones give you more insulation than necissary on warm nights. get a z-rest or any other thermarest model that folds up rather than rolls up. it will save you tons of space and you could lash it anywhere on your pack.

eggroll
02-16-2006, 12:49 PM
I gotta admit, the thread title did catch my interest /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif Rest assured, you CANNOT fit me inside an EMR... or TWO

have you considered a half or 3/4 length pad as well?

doctorrich
02-16-2006, 01:07 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Nathan C:
Why you trying to get Eggroll in your pack? He's not ET or Yoda size. I guess you could stow him there, then if you needed a field repair.... </div></div>Trunk Monkey = Eggroll

that's a new one. EMR is probably a 2.6Y capacity (Yoda measure).

Aimless
02-16-2006, 02:02 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by eggroll:
I gotta admit, the thread title did catch my interest /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif Rest assured, you CANNOT fit me inside an EMR... or TWO

</div></div>Well apparently we are now expected to carry Mel around on our backs now so maybe this is some kind of onboard tech support thing...

ThePrepared_com
02-16-2006, 06:58 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by eggroll:

have you considered a half or 3/4 length pad as well? </div></div>When I first read the title I thought "alright what kind of stunt are they pulling now? I've seen the human hauling cargo chair but this is gonna be good!". Little did I know you were talking about a dang sleeping pad! /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

ZS Gunny
02-16-2006, 07:20 PM
ROFL sorry for the confusion guys.

My issue is, in order to fit the damn thing my XTL lid doesn't look right. The pad is also slick feeling which leads it to shifting around when I walk with it. I've still got all of the original stuff with it so I can return at a moments notice.

The biggest question is: what eggroll (sleeping pad you mooks) is best with an EMR?

Dan M
02-16-2006, 09:28 PM
Well, from all the talk over on the hunting side of the forum, I went with the Big Agnes Insultated Aircore. When deflated it rolls ups o small, it just disappears inside the EMR.
Big Agnes Air Core (http://www.bigagnes.com/str_pads.php?id=ia)

Kifaru Thread: Patrick\'s Geezer Pleezer (http://forums.kifaru.net/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=000246) /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Gizzmo
02-17-2006, 04:15 AM
I can fit a Thermarest Expedition in my EMR with no problem.
I do not use the bottom divider, I keep it open.
I pack the Thermarest vertical with plenty of room to spare.
I generally never use the snow collar extended.

ZS Gunny
02-17-2006, 08:58 AM
Do any of you champs happen to have photos of your Kifaru with an eggroll tucked in between your EMR's top closure and an XTL lid?

Dan M,

I'll take a look at it if you look at your PM's. :p

footrat
02-17-2006, 02:20 PM
I use a thicker Thermarest closed cell mat. I initially got the Regular size, not knowing what size it actually was. After laying on it a bit, I cut it down to a length that allowed my body from knees to head to be on the mat. That took off a large chunk of the bulk, and when cinched down, it flattens out some. From there, I cut it down even more. Same length, but I cut the width down. I sleep on my side, but I left enough for my shoulderblades and hips to be on the mat. It's barely wider than my Marauder now. When I went to SHOT, my Marauder was my carry-on, with the Thermarest still lashed underneath it. It fits under an AirTran 737 seat like that as well.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v604/footrat/Vegas/Picture183.jpg

ZS Gunny
02-17-2006, 02:35 PM
I appreciate that Footrat, I guess it's time to take out the exacto knife.

footrat
02-17-2006, 03:01 PM
I would use something with a larger blade than that. The material is easy to cut once you have the blade all the way through it, but if you're trying to cut it with an Xacto, you're working too hard. I used the non-serrated portion of my Kershaw Tactical Blur. The tanto edge didn't really offer any advantage over a different type of blade, it's just what I had on me. Once you cut through the material, you can use a plain edged blade to saw the rest of the way down. You'll get the hang of it, but not with an Xacto. It's not like posterboard or foamboard; you can't cut it all the way through from the top like that. Start at an edge and work down.

Dan M
02-18-2006, 10:06 AM
ZS Gunny, I checked my PMs, there are no current ones. What were you referring to?