PDA

View Full Version : Measuring yourself for pack fit

fireballxl5
02-11-2006, 10:55 PM
I'm about to order my first Kifaru pack - a Navigator.

However I am not sure how to measure myself so I can send my measruements to have the pack adjusted to fit at the factory.

So how do you measure yourself? What measurements are required?

Also how do you know what a "flat back" looks like?

I have no idea if my back is flat or not....

The Kifaru FAQs explain why we need to be measured, but as far as I can see not how.

Help, please.

Olive Drab
02-12-2006, 08:10 AM
call mel when he gets back and he will square you away.

AFcomm guy
02-14-2006, 01:52 PM
fireball,

I have bad curveture of the spine (I cant spell the word right now) and I ordred my navigator set up for a curved back and sent them height weight and waist size and the pack fits great.
Most comfortable I've owned (I still get back pain but there is no getting around that for me)

Hanzo
02-14-2006, 02:03 PM
Get the final word from the folks who do this stuff for a living, but when I asked Mel he told me that the measurements were your waist, inseam, height and weight. Most people's backs curve in slightly above their butt, that's considered a normal back.

Like I said, give Mel a call to be sure, but for the time being, thats what I was told.

Patrick
02-15-2006, 06:04 AM
fireballxl5--

Hanzo has it correct. Pant size (waist and inseam), height, and weight. If you DON'T have that curve in your lumbar region check "flat back".

Mel and I are back from SHOT now; looking forward to catching up with the doin's here on the Board....

fireballxl5
02-16-2006, 12:41 AM
Cool thanks Hanzo and Patrick.

Eventually I found the info on the Navigator page ( http://www.kifaru.net/MGnaviga.htm) in the fine print.

Order has been placed.

Patrick, hope SHOT was a big success for you -
now that your back I don't spose you could push that modified MC Navigator that is on order up the line little...?

Just kidding, I am sure there are a pile of other people who are also real impatient for their gear and some who really NEED it to deploy etc.
:-)

AFCommGuy, re the back issue:

I'm sorry to hear that and know how you feel - I ruptured 3 lower discs driving M113s in the Aussie Army.

That's one of the reasons I ordered a Navigator instead of an MMR or EMR, to try and discourage myself from loading up too much.

Though I must admit I've been intrigued by panel loaders for a while and with what I saw of Gronk's MMR and the boards here, I was fairly confident a Kifaru panel loader would stand up to the job.

I've been bush (backpacking style) twice in about 5 years now, and I'm hoping that with the the Kifaru gear I might be able to do it a lot more, because I sure as heck miss it.

Like you, it will still suck, but between the Kifaru and purchasing a hammock ( which helped me a lot in getting up and mobile in the morning ), I hope it will suck a lot less.