PDA

View Full Version : Goin to the box soon

tim83
02-11-2006, 08:41 PM
So I'm goin to the sandbox soon (no specifics because of OPSEC!) and we're only allowed one army duffle and one ruck on the plane. The only pack I have is a large alice...which isn't really all that "large" and, in my opinion, was specifically designed as a medevil torture device! Cuts into your armpits, sits high and makes you want to fall over...you know the way it is. The alice basically tops off at the typical packing list of 2BDU, 2this, 2 that plus a pair of boots. MSS can't even fit in it. So, to finally get to the point, my question is what pack would add the ability to carry ECW equipment (including all the furry mittens, "mickey mouse" boots, 2 fleece, extra polypro, etc) NBC gear, MSS and all of the new generation ACU cold weather gear (if you haven't seen it, instead of the gortex it's all sorts of microfleece and layering and a giant grey bubble jacket that looks like an inner city thug jacket!). I'm gonna need a way to get this stuff over there even though I'll have a MUCH smaller day to day load in country...so what pack is best for getting this stuff over there without being too cumbersome considering I'll be mounted most of the time? I'm thinking MMR...so basically anyone who can compare the EMR/MMR and maybe navigator please give your opinion. Sorry for being long-winded!

Olive Drab
02-11-2006, 08:56 PM
get one of those giant Navy Sea Bags. My buddy has one and its thicker and twice as long as the standard duffle bag. Might be a way around the rules for you.

Nathan C
02-11-2006, 09:14 PM
We called those body bags. All the guys in Bravo had them. We hated them after we got stuck on baggage detail. Depending on the unit you may or may not get away with this. You should also have a conex shipping. I took only gortex top, brown sweater and a gator neck. Never used the Gortex, even while freezing in the turret. Have somebody mail the rest if you feel you need it.

Now to your original question, I would roll with the new ZXR with some pockets if your not worried about it getting lost enroute. Even without pockets, I bet I could fit everything you mentioned in there, or close to it. Or you can always go with the large duffle if you won't need to hump it. Actually you could probably get away with a medium.

GJNozum
02-12-2006, 12:07 PM
I had similar issues last year and went with an EMR, specifically because the MSS will fit with room to spare. The EMR has ample space for all of your snivel gear. While it is a bit large for everyday use, it does compress nicely. Having that much capacity does make one susceptible to the Blackhawk Down syndrome, but you tend to only make that mistake once. I subsequently picked up a Pointman on ebay that I use for a general field ruck. Mail, at least in A-stan, is pretty good. Coming back, we shipped most of our personal gear home in those Gorilla foot lockers for a nominal fee (I think I spent $24 shipping home a locker so heavy two people had to lift it). Prior to our next deployment, I may send some personal gear over in advance that way, too. Mail from the states takes about ten days with priority delivery, three weeks otherwise. I'd tend to shy away from an overly large duffle; they're too unwieldy for my taste. If your travels take you through Manas, you'll appreciate having gear you can carry easily.

Nathan C
02-12-2006, 12:36 PM
Oh and don't forget to keep your mail receipts. Anything you send home, they'll give you back money on your travel voucher. Wish I would have known before I tossed them /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

Also if you can find the Rubbermaid Action Packer boxes, they're much sturdier than the Gorilla boxes, which sometimes fall apart on the way back. Our PX got like one shipment and the DFAC bought almost all of them for their MassCas boxesn /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif Grrr. But it's cool at least I got one first.

Oh and whoever told you only one duffle is probably talking crap, they told us the same thing. You can have up to 400 pounds usually. Two duffles, a carry on, plus whatever you want in the conex.

Olive Drab
02-12-2006, 03:22 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Nathan C:
Oh and don't forget to keep your mail receipts. Anything you send home, they'll give you back money on your travel voucher. Wish I would have known before I tossed them /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif </div></div>wheres the reg on this? I had no idea

Nathan C
02-12-2006, 03:28 PM
Dunno, but I know other guys turned them in and got the money for it. See if your PAC clerk can dig it up. I remember somebody telling us to keep them, but I was stupid and ignored it at the time.

Put it on your final travel voucher and you should get it. If not it's a minor inconveinance to keep the receipts.

Dan M
02-13-2006, 10:07 PM
Shipping your personal stuff from overseas sounds reasonable to me. Verify it here at the DoD Joint Travel Regulation (https://secureapp2.hqda.pentagon.mil/perdiem/trvlregs.html)

Tiredude
02-14-2006, 02:01 PM
This is an Air Force Instruction for shipping crap back to the states.

If you are preparing to return home, please be aware that you have the option to ship your excess baggage home via the postal system. The following excerpt from AFI 65-114 details the specifics. You will claim the cost on your final settlement voucher please make sure that the receipt for shipping includes the weight of the excess shipment being certified. Please also make sure your TDY orders authorize excess baggage.

3.8. Excess Baggage. (JFTR, par. U3015 and JTR, par. C2302). Travelers directed to perform a TDY

can be authorized/approved excess baggage. This authority allows travelers to transport their excess baggage

one of two ways:

3.8.1. Hand carry the excess baggage with them on the designated flight; or

3.8.2. Ship the excess baggage to their temporary duty station and/or permanent duty station. The

postal system must be utilized for shipment of excess baggage. Travelers who decide to ship (mail)

excess baggage are required to retain and provide a copy of the receipt from the post office (regardless

of amount). The receipt must include the weight of the excess baggage being certified. Mailing

charges are claimed on the settlement voucher and the receipt must accompany the claim.

Tiredude

Trigger Happy10
02-14-2006, 04:38 PM
Well be SAFE over there. My cusion is over there ATM mabye you'll run into him.

Mabye if you want to try it, dock a smaller pack onto a larger one, like a scout or a maurader onto a EMR or a MMR /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif