PDA

View Full Version : Crye Precision gear

plumbready
02-10-2006, 06:10 PM
Just received my first order from Crye. Received combat shirt and range vest both mc.
Quality out of the box looks to be excellent.
Ordered the products on Monday, shipped on Tuesday and received Friday.

Their website has been completely redone and they will only let you order what they have in stock.

<a href="http://www.cryeprecision.com" target="_blank">http://www.cryeprecision.com (http://www.cryeprecision.com)</a>

Aimless
02-11-2006, 07:23 AM
A buddy of mine has the pants, jacket and the elbow and knee pads. There're slick looking and look fairly tough, I kind of cringe at the price though.

eggroll
02-11-2006, 08:42 AM
there are other vendors too if price is your sole driver.

Plumbready do you have a more detailed review?

Aimless
02-11-2006, 11:18 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by eggroll:
there are other vendors too if price is your sole driver.

</div></div>I would bet that their dealers are restricted by MAP in their pricing. I might be able to get 'em cheaper, but I would question whether others would be able to on any large scale basis without complaints being made to Crye by other dealers.

I know a lot of guys, civilians and people in the military and law enforcement, with a lot of expensive gun and outdoor gear but I've seen only one set of these so far.

eggroll
02-11-2006, 06:19 PM
aside from the material - the uniforms offered by two vendors in particular are distinctly different than that of the Crye design.

Yeah the Crye design is hot sh**, but for most folks some of the functionality maybe of dubious value.

A fair segment of the population is familiar and comfortable with the BDU layout and design, henceforth, the cost point *should* not be substantially more than conventional patterns. Hover that being said these offerings are not the Crye design, and to my knowledge the Crye uniform pieces are only available through Crye directly.

doctorrich
02-12-2006, 04:34 AM
I concur, Egg. The only exception was tadgear.com was selling Crye field pants in MC last month, just prior to the cryeprecision.com site going live.

I was able to score some original Crye labeled field pants a month early, but the price was *exactly* the same.

Aimless
02-12-2006, 06:07 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by eggroll:
aside from the material - the uniforms offered by two vendors in particular are distinctly different than that of the Crye design.

Yeah the Crye design is hot sh**, but for most folks some of the functionality maybe of dubious value.

A fair segment of the population is familiar and comfortable with the BDU layout and design, henceforth, the cost point *should* not be substantially more than conventional patterns. Hover that being said these offerings are not the Crye design, and to my knowledge the Crye uniform pieces are only available through Crye directly. </div></div>Oh, no kidding? I had only seen the Crye uniforms. Are you sworn to secrecy on who these vendors are? /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Like I said, that Crye uniform is slick and looked sturdy, but for a dope like me who would just use them for hunting or maybe farting around in I suspect $ 50-60 would sell a lot more of them, even if they were just bdu style made out of nyco or a twill.

I haven't really figured out the market for uniforms, no one in the military can use them, can they? Maybe they're hoping Blackwater will pick it up as their uniform? /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

edit-If Arcteryx ever comes out with some of their clothes in multi-cam, that'd be pretty cool. I saw the link for the multicam gore-tex-ish coat, that's kind of tempting.

eggroll
02-12-2006, 12:35 PM
skdtac.com and icetactical.com

price point is somewhere around half the cost of the Crye design - but keep in mind they do not have the gollygeewiz features too.

umm actually yeah, there will be some folks using them but umm yeah /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

I run Crye field coat and range vest and have been wholly satisfied, will that make me go out at by more, probably not

EGG

Nathan C
02-12-2006, 12:38 PM
Hey Egg whatcha know about the SKD's? I pre-ordered a little while back. Guess I should have looked into it more first.

militarymoron
02-12-2006, 02:15 PM

price point is somewhere around half the cost of the Crye design - but keep in mind they do not have the gollygeewiz features too.
</div></div>set of icetactical advanced BDUs: $190
set of SKDtactical multicam BDUs: $185
set of Crye field shirt/pants: $190

umm...am i missing something on how the two other vendors are half the price of the cryes?
cheers,
MM

eggroll
02-12-2006, 02:24 PM
whoops!
my bad, read off the wrong sheet :p

BTW MM why have you not answered any of my VMs?

militarymoron
02-12-2006, 02:50 PM
your eyes must be getting old, eggo :p
what VMs? i haven't gotten any from ya. did you call my cell or work? i've been at SHOT, so if it was at work, i wouldn't have gotten them. i DO have email you know...
cheers,
MM

Aimless
02-12-2006, 03:13 PM
I knew about those, that was a let down /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

I saw some pictures of some less expensive multi-cam bdus (I forgot who had them) but they looked terrible.

eggroll
02-12-2006, 03:36 PM
Aimless

the way things are heading I would not be surprised to see definitively less expensive/higher quality MC utes within the next few months.

EGG

Aimless
02-12-2006, 03:44 PM
Thanks for the head's up. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

DDG
02-14-2006, 05:19 PM
how does the sizing run for the crye bdu sets?

doctorrich
02-15-2006, 02:12 AM
Big.

straps
02-15-2006, 10:09 AM
Re: Crye sizing...

The Crye stuff will correspond directly to your BDU size.

I should stress that we're talking Mil-Spec BDUs.

The real value of the Crye stuff is that it fits "cleanly"-- closely enough so stuff isn't bouncing around in your pockets yet loosely enough to allow freedom of movement. Crye took the military's statistical analysis of the combatant population's body measurements to the next level, and integrated the realities of 1st, 2nd and 3rd line gear. Like Egg sez, there aren't a lot of people who need all (or even most) of Crye's features.

One thing that I noticed is that the rise of the pants is lower than just about all the uniforms I've ever worn. Probably so that a waist belt can be worn comfortably below a tactical vest. But if I'm not in the kind of shape that a person who has any business wearing something called "combat pants" needs to be in (too much desk time, not enough PT), they don't fit the way they should.

tim83
02-15-2006, 06:29 PM
Personally I'm with Aimless in that I can't really see where their customer base is. OK, so you sell some bdu sets maybe even a few combat sets...but these guys are marketing body armor systems and all that stuff. I just don't really see where they think they're going with it. Hunters don't need all the elbow/knee pads and slanted pockets, etc. Those are just my thoughts, just venting I guess.

Dan M
02-15-2006, 08:59 PM
Aimless an Tim83: the market appears to be Private Military Contractors and Government para-military agencies. Those two together are large enough.

DDG
02-16-2006, 11:38 AM
just ordered a multicam field shirt about 5 mins ago. thanks for the info guys.

i'll post some pics when it arrives. i also bought a few yards of multicam fabric to try to build some gear. i've got a industrial sewing machine sitting in my work room collecting dust for the past year or so.

02-16-2006, 01:42 PM
The field pants fit very different but I like it. Very clean like suggested earlier.

The Field shirt is cool as well. The only thing I'm not too sure about with the Field stuff is all the velcro pocket closures. Whenever I wear a wool glove liner it gets caught on the velcro....kind of a pain. Plus is noisy.

Just received the Combat shirt about 1/2 hour ago. Damn, the torso is VERY slim fitting. Kind of like UA cold gear. Not sure what to think about it yet other than I need to work out more..

Res.

Aimless
02-16-2006, 01:59 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Dan M:
Aimless an Tim83: the market appears to be Private Military Contractors and Government para-military agencies. Those two together are large enough. </div></div>No kidding!? I would not have guessed that. Well good for them.

Supposedly my buddy's mom is trying to make a drop pouch out of some material he got from Crye with his order.

My mom made me learn to sew in 4-H, but I think I'll pass on whipping up my own multicam suit. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

plumbready
02-18-2006, 07:45 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> EGG:
Plumbready do you have a more detailed review?
</div></div>Wore my combat shirt and field vest (along with a few other layers) pheasant hunting at a game farm yesterday. Air temperature -18F wind chill -46F, but the sun was out.
The torso section of the combat shirt is similar to UA which I find to be very comfortable. I have already converted my undershirts to UA. The pockets on the upper arms are roomy enough to bet my blackberry in.
Range vest was comfortable and supportive. Plenty of pockets (11 in all) for whatever you may need.
I can't speak on the mass market for Crye's products, but their stuff has the "cool" factor. I hope they find enough guys like myself to purchase their gear that they stick around for awhile.

AbnMedOps
02-18-2006, 07:15 PM
I wish Crye would offer a Multi-Cam stencil kit and spray paints, and/or make the pattern available to the quality firearm refinishers.

Just daydreaming how cool I'd look and feel with a Multi-Cam Steyr Scout, and a custom Para-FAL..

anthracitic
02-18-2006, 07:18 PM
It can be done.

02-18-2006, 07:46 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by AbnMedOps:
I wish Crye would offer a Multi-Cam stencil kit and spray paints, and/or make the pattern available to the quality firearm refinishers.
</div></div>I'd be all over this!!

Res.

eggroll
02-18-2006, 08:47 PM
what you dont figure is the gradiations between colors as well as color abutments - be creative

AbnMedOps
02-18-2006, 08:57 PM
Yes, to achieve the correct "fade" between colors, there might have to be some form of spacer between stencil pattern layers, or perhaps a silk-screen material at the edges of the pattern cut-outs.

fireballxl5
02-18-2006, 10:12 PM
There is a technique called "dry brushing" that may be helpful.

I used to use it whan I made plastic models. I'm sure it would work on weapon parts because they are smooth, not so sure about gear made from textiles.

Usually it is used for "aging" ge adding "rust" or "mud", but I reckon you could use itr to achieve the desired effect for blending multicam.

Anyway, you get your brush and you put a very small ammount of paint on it, then you brush the paint on a piece of scrap paper until there is virtually no paint on the brush - 'til it is near dry.

Then you very lightly (ie little pressure/contact) work the brush over the area you want to paint.

It leaves a very fine layer of paint, and you can almost make it look like the edge of spray paint if you do it right.

For multi cam I'd say you could dry brush, more heavily at the darker end of the gradient or with a bit more paint on the darker end and work toward the light end.

Obviously experiment a fair bit before hand, maybe on a buffer tube or something that won't be easily see or an old part, to get the technique.

Nathan C
02-18-2006, 10:37 PM
Speaking of painting, I was in Home Depot today. Would the Rustoloeum paints work like Krylon? They had a bunch of natural rock paints. Would be perfect if it would work.

militarymoron
02-19-2006, 08:04 AM
you could also wait for crye to start offering hydrographic and baked-on transfer film, similar to the camo finishes on some hunting shotguns, bows etc. crye themselves will not be offering the actual service, but will be making the multicam film available to facilities that perform the process. they're still working on getting the film and process finalized, so it might be a while. the hydrographic process will be for plastics and items that cannot be baked, while the bake-on finish will be for metals.
cheers,
MM

02-20-2006, 07:57 AM
MC Rifle cover....very cool!

http://www.riflesonly.com/tab1.htm

Res.

footrat
02-20-2006, 12:19 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by militarymoron:
you could also wait for crye to start offering hydrographic and baked-on transfer film, similar to the camo finishes on some hunting shotguns, bows etc. crye themselves will not be offering the actual service, but will be making the multicam film available to facilities that perform the process. they're still working on getting the film and process finalized, so it might be a while. the hydrographic process will be for plastics and items that cannot be baked, while the bake-on finish will be for metals.
cheers,
MM </div></div>Would this be the same thing they used to dip the Multicam magazines that Magpul had at SHOT?

militarymoron
02-20-2006, 12:24 PM
footrat - i believe that was the baked-on finish on the mags. the colours stll needed some adjustment and the base colour of the item also has an influence on how it turns out.
caleb showed me a couple of other items before he dropped them off at the booths - a strider knife and surefire light. i question the value of camo on such small items, but for an entire rifle, i see the benefit.

DDG
02-22-2006, 04:37 PM
does anyone know Crye's contact email? im having a problem with my order and i've tried replying to the email they sent but it keeps coming back as undeliverable.

the addy im using is @cryeassociates.com, any help would be appreciated.

militarymoron
02-22-2006, 05:37 PM
info@cryeprecision.com
cheers,
MM

stuka
05-22-2012, 03:11 PM
Hi.would want to buy new pants, so I wonder what is the best choice of these two:

Kitanica PNT X.A

Crye Precision G3

thanks in advance

straps
05-22-2012, 06:34 PM
Hi.would want to buy new pants, so I wonder what is the best choice of these two:

Kitanica – PNT X.A

Crye Precision G3

thanks in advance

Holy necropost, Batman!

They're both awesome.

Kitanica is built a bit more sturdily. They're a bit much--verging on costume. You can offload the contents of a Kifaru Organizer into them, and you'll look HILARIOUS after doing so. I wore them to a social shoot last year (complete with some TYR and FirstSpear lightweight pockets on the PALS) and I've gotten nothing but grief about them since (A dude wore a dress--complete with an inside-the-thigh holster--and I get clowned about my pants). I say buy a pair, if only to be the best-dressed dude in line for Expendables 2. Full disclosure:they're made one zip code away from me--around the corner from the first MilSpec Monkey HQ.

I kind of have a system for EDC supported just fine by Crye, TAD (my preference since the new cut in the NYCO material) and 5.11 TDU pants (inexpensive, durable, no-iron, don't stain).