PDA

View Full Version : Tent

Hanzo
02-10-2006, 09:17 AM
A guy walks into his doctor's office and says "doc, I'm having the strangest dreams. Last night I dreamt I was a tipi and the night before that I dreamt I was a wigwam. What does this mean?". The doctor replied, "don't worry about it, you're just too tense".

OK, now that we got that horrible joke out of the way...

I'm looking into getting a tent. It's just me, I camp in warm areas and pretty much the only reason for it is in case of rain. So, I would like something small and light and waterproof. This is for just me. Any suggestions?

MATCHGRADE
02-10-2006, 10:29 AM
What do you think of the paratarp?

Hanzo
02-10-2006, 10:37 AM
Its a nice set up but I'm trying to get options. No offense to the Kifaru guys (Lord knows I love their stuff) but to me it seems a bit like a poncho shelter for the price of a decent tent. Maybe I'm just naive about what's out there. Actually...I KNOW I am. I'm just trying to get some ideas about what everyone is using. I was thinking about the USMC combat tent but it seemed pretty bulky and larger than what I really need.

weekend warrior
02-10-2006, 11:48 AM
Hanzo,

For warm weather nothing beats a hammock setup. It's comfortable, light, bugproof, and very weather resistant. There are several good ones on the market but my favorite is the Hennessy.

If hammocking just isn't for you then go with a simple tarp setup. An 8x10 silnylon tarp should come in under a pound. Add a small chunk of tyvek if you need a ground sheet. If you can't take the bugs then maybe take a headnet or a full mosquito net.

You can combine the two and take the hennessy hammock body and use a larger tarp. This gives you the option of "hanging" when the ground is uneven or "going to ground" if the temps drop or trees are scarce.

Just my $.02

Gizzmo
02-10-2006, 11:58 AM
REI Sub Alpine UL - 4.5 lbs

A friend has a Big Agnes Seedhouse SL2 probably around 4lbs. Nice Tent.
REI Quarter Dome - Under 4lbs

Hanzo
02-10-2006, 12:29 PM
Wow...after doing some looking around, I guess the Kifaru tipis aren't as expensive as I thought. I had no idea of the price of these things. I'm used to the Walmart tents. They're heavy, but...$30 for a 9'x8' dome tent...it's tempting.

Flesh Thorn
02-10-2006, 01:23 PM
http://www.eaglesnestoutfittersinc.com/ This is what I've been using. I got the double hammock so I can cacoon.

seb5
02-10-2006, 01:41 PM
For about a hundred you can get a nice 1 person Eureka tent. The whole thing weighs about 5 lbs. and fits in a Kifaru long pocket with room to spare. I'd have to look at the paperwork of I could find it to tell you which model.

Hanzo
02-10-2006, 02:48 PM
I just started looking at this one,

Tent (http://www.cspoutdoors.com/eusote.html)

I hate the fact that it's yellow, but...

One other thing about this, it says it breaks down to 4"x17.5". A long pocket says it's 17" long stuffed...anybody know if there's a half inch wiggle room in there?

steves_cat
02-10-2006, 11:46 PM
Hanzo,
Try CampMor (http://www.campmor.com) . They have a Mountain Hardware Waypoint 1 tent (2lbs 9oz) for $170. Color OLIVE. The link is just to their homepage.

Hanzo
02-11-2006, 12:03 AM
Steves,

I like that, especially the weight of it.

I've also been looking at the Eureka Back Country. It's a bit heavier (a few ounces) but I've found it on ebay for around $85.

Still though, if any of you guys have any reason why I shouldn't get any of these, please speak up. I have almost NO knowledge.

I've got the MSS and am worried that in real rain the bivy won't hold up. I've never had to put it to the test, but that's my fear.

MATCHGRADE
02-11-2006, 12:22 AM
I have an old style Eureka solatare. The steaks were steel, so that was easy weight to ditch. I let my mom have it when i got my paratipi. She modified it by removing the rainfly, and replacing it with an optional rainfly cut out of coyote sil nylon. She also bought the new aluminum poles from eureka to replace the fiberglass ones. Now its not yellow, more weather proof, much lighter and stronger for around $100 invested. Ill post pics if anyone is interested.

Spence
02-11-2006, 03:32 AM
Warm weather, one person, light + waterproof....got hammock written all over it. My lightweight hammock is a Hennessy Light Racer that weighs just 1.5lbs, all for about $160.

JasonB
02-11-2006, 08:37 AM
I got a Paratarp back in December and a few hours after I set it up to seal the seam the warm front(that I was using to seal the seam with /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif ) started dropping rain. My backyard isn't the most porous in the world, but nothing inside was wet after it rained all day along with stout winds. Have yet to camp out in it, but it fits nicely in to any daypack I own so it is always there just in case. You do get quite a bit more coverage than a poncho set up lean to style and A LOT more space than a poncho set up as an A frame and with the measuring tabs there isn't a lot of guesswork involved in setting the ridge line height. At a minimum I would go with one of the sil-nylon tarps.

In comparison, I also have a Coleman Cobra tent(2 man or actually 2 anorexics and short at that) that has a slightly smaller footprint when pitched with rainfly that weighs about 4lbs. packed that has a waterproof floor that catches the sweat off the inside of the fly well with the right conditions /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Hanzo
02-11-2006, 09:05 AM
Unfortunately, I can't do a hammock...no trees.

I'm still looking at the Eureka Back Country. I've also been urged by a few people to give the bivy by itself a shot, so...nex time it rains, looks like I'm sleeping outside.

ZS Gunny
02-11-2006, 04:28 PM
Hanzo,

You're talking about the Eureka Backcountry 1 correct? If you do get this one, please e-mail me at bdeauman@gmail.com and let me know if it fits in a long pocket. I was looking at the same tent.

A CS rep from Campmor.com told me the tent packs down to 6"x15.5" so it should work like a champ in a long.

Hanzo
02-11-2006, 04:53 PM
Gunny,

If I get it, I'll let you know, but those are the same specs that I found on Eureka's page which was one of the selling points for me. I like the idea of being able to put it in a dedicated long pocket for when the weather is looking a little iffy.

ZS Gunny
02-11-2006, 05:41 PM
Hanzo,

I hear that. I think I'm going to go ahead and make an order for this, thanks for the long pocket idea.

Hanzo
02-11-2006, 05:45 PM
Gunny, in that case, I'm gonna flip the script on ya. Let ME know how YOU like it.

JasonB
02-11-2006, 05:59 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Hanzo:
Unfortunately, I can't do a hammock...no trees.

I'm still looking at the Eureka Back Country. I've also been urged by a few people to give the bivy by itself a shot, so...nex time it rains, looks like I'm sleeping outside. </div></div>Everyone keeps telling me to try a hammock, but the cheap one I tried drove me nuts between the near constant motion and the creaking/twanging of the cord digging in. I think the Hennesy's are supposed to negate those 2 problems to some extent should I also be able to get past the idea of being suspended in a sack for lack of a better description.

Depending on the age of your bivy you may want to stick it in the shower for awhile and see how the taped seams hold up. I have had a couple of Goretex parkas that had seams fail due to age and/or poor storage. One was just slow saturation, but the other was a fairly significant drip which would have been annoying to bad had there been a receptacle catching it like a sleeping bag /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Hanzo
02-11-2006, 06:32 PM
Jason, the shower...BRILLIANT!

I'll have to give that a shot. Thank you.

ZS Gunny
02-12-2006, 10:39 AM
Hanzo,

Wilco. Placed the order with <a href="http://www.campmor.com" target="_blank">http://www.campmor.com (http://www.campmor.com)</a> last night.

Do you think this tent will need a ground cloth?

Hanzo
02-12-2006, 11:15 AM
Gunny,

I doubt it. Hell, the Kifaru tents don't have a bottom to them. Just be sure not to position it in the lowest spot around and I think you'll be fine.

ZS Gunny
02-12-2006, 01:51 PM
Hanzo,

Gotcha. Thanks for the help.

DiabloDawg
02-13-2006, 07:51 AM
Hanzo, as long as your bivy isn't full of holes, it will be all you need. I couldn't tell you how many times I've slept in the field when it was pouring rain, or in standing puddles of water and stayed dry. IMHO, the MSS-especially the bivy- is one of the greatest pieces of gear I've dealt with. That being said, waking up inside a tent is a little nicer, but instead of getting rained on, you get wet from all the condensation on the inside of the tent. I also don't know what kinds of conditions you'll be using it in, but I know for a fact 100%- 60 out of 60- of the USMC two man tents we brought with us and used for OIF I were completely destroyed after we got back. They cannot deal with sand or high winds or hard use. They are a bit awkward for more than one person as well- I'm 6'0" and 195lbs and barely fit in one with another, even small Marine.

ZS Gunny
02-13-2006, 08:03 AM
Hanzo,

Here's an e-mail from Pete Koop at <a href="http://www.campmor.com" target="_blank">http://www.campmor.com (http://www.campmor.com)</a> 's CS department when I asked him: A: Does the Backcountry 1 need to be seam sealed and B: Would a ground cloth be a good investment for such a tent (number 29991 for reference).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There is no need to worry about seam sealing the Backcountry 1 or most tents nowadays. The main floor and rain fly seams are factory sealed using a hot tape application, a GREAT improvement over years ago when you needed to crawl around your tent on your hands and knees applying sealant. As you’ve already figured out a ground cloth like #29991 trimmed by you to about 2 to 3 inches shorter (for drainage) then the outline/edge of your tent to slip underneath is very much recommended. This will take the nicks and dings your floor would take were it not there. You will add years to the usable life of your tent. This will prolong your tent floor life which is really the most abused portion of the tent.

</div></div>Hope that's of some help.

Brad

Hanzo
02-13-2006, 09:01 AM
DD,

I really appreciate that info. A buddy of mine claimed to have slept snug in it during a downpour (claims to have woke up at the bottom of the hill having done a slip-n-slide during the night) but I wanted to make sure it wasn't some BS sea story.

I think I'll just stick with the bivy. It very rarely rains around here anyway and worst case scenario, I get a little wet. We're amphibious right? That's what my senior always told us when we were standing in the pouring rain.

Gunny, good info, thank you. I'll keep that in mind if I change my mind.

ZS Gunny
02-15-2006, 01:40 PM
Hanzo,

To change your mind: The Eureka Backcountry 1 fits snugly into a Long-Pocket. The upside of this is you can compress the hell out of it, providing room in the long pocket for a few trinkets (I have a ground tarp in the same pocket)

<a href="http://www.campmor.com" target="_blank">http://www.campmor.com (http://www.campmor.com)</a> $109 but there are several on EBAY selling for 90-100 I believe (watch the shipping charges tho)

I also purchased a thermorest eggroll and a snowpeak titanium cooking set from campmor. Order placed Sunday and delivered today, not bad.

Hanzo
02-15-2006, 01:54 PM
Oh, sure, go ahead and try to entice me to get more gear. I'm danger close to going Kimber shopping this weekend as it is.

ZS Gunny
02-16-2006, 09:20 AM
Lol Hanzo, if I was going to entice you with more gun gear I'd whisper, "RX1445E" in your ear and make you google it :p

steves_cat
02-16-2006, 09:49 AM
I should have checked earlier! I use a Eureka Backcountry 2 for my kayaking trips. It works well for coastal North Carolina downpours. A long pocket will hold the tent body, poles, sand stakes and lines.The fly and ground cloth go in a secound long pocket with some other trinkets. I really like the tent, it's been great for my useage. Mostly beach camping on offshore islands.

Hanzo
02-16-2006, 10:40 AM
Gunny,

I'm not a big fan of the Para. They're not a bad gun and that double action is great for range work, but I don't like it for rapid shooting. The trigger pull is light, but LONG.

Without going up to Les Baer, Wilson or something in that range, my favorite is still Kimber.

I'm going with the Tactical Custom II.