PDA

View Full Version : Ice axe loops?

axisofignorance
03-05-2006, 03:51 PM
I havent recieved my pointman yet so I cant experiment , but how do you guys lash down your ice axes?

Jack

rambler_wannabe
03-05-2006, 04:07 PM
Strip of webbing and a couple triglides to secure it in the PALS.

fireballxl5
03-06-2006, 04:02 AM
Really secure it.

If you're military and you might need to go to ground, eg in a contact drill, make sure you secure your tools like ice axes, ETs, picks etc in such a way that they can't slide forward into the back of your head.

On a pack with a top flap type lid, I'd suggest you make sure the top end in is under the flap.

I'm not sure with the pointman, maybe put a turn of web around the head and handle and the T junction - sort of as if you were lashing two pieces of timber into a frame.

I've never carried an ice axe - we don't have cold here - but I have seen a reo (reinforcement) wear an entrenching tool.

If you forget to secure something like that, I can pretty much garauntee you will only forget once.
:-)

frozenground
03-12-2006, 01:23 PM
This is how my wife has hers rigged on her Express. I put one of the arc'teryx keepers on my Pointman so I can do this as well. Just a small loop of 550 cord as the axe loop at the bottom.
http://www.munroedesign.com/hosted/images/gearpron/psk_24.jpg

axisofignorance
03-12-2006, 02:09 PM
Thats funny, I noticed her loops on her post on USN.She has some cool stuff.I do have an arc terx pack I could adopt the loops from.Ill probably end up sewing a copy because the arc teryx loops were made for verticle daisy chain where my pointman will have the horizontal pals.

thanx

snowdevil
03-13-2006, 10:14 AM
Yikes. I messed up. The Kifaru Ice Axe Holster appeared in our catalog, but not on the website. It is there now, and can be found at:

ice axe holster (http://www.kifaru.net/MGgunber.htm)

It appears with all the other holsters at the bottom of the page. Sorry for the inconvenience!! Maggie.

murphquake
03-17-2006, 05:15 AM
I would venture to guess that an effective ax holder could be made by modding one of the FSBE T-Rings... just make the loop that goes down to the D-ring on the assembly a few inches longer and give it a twist. Instant cheap PALS IAH that you can mount on anything... (basing this on the loops that you often find on the bottom of 3-day packs...
-bill

duckhunter
03-17-2006, 11:41 AM
Snowdevil,
Can we get those Kifaru ice axe holsters in other colors(OD and Coyote)?